General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

major issue with check valves

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by psykoTa
Hi BTW (from eastern fbody)
If you know everything about cars why don't you just fix it yourself?I see you are one of the people that goes on the internet to get advice from people on how to fix a car.
Old 11-05-2004, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not meant for me Rock on!!

Last edited by psykoTa; 11-07-2004 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:38 PM
Teching In

FYI.

I changed both my check valves last weekend ... $10.00 a pieca at autozone and MAYBE 10 minutes of time. you can DEFINATELY do these yourself. As for the airpump...Don't know...
Old 04-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ryan01228
FYI.

I changed both my check valves last weekend ... $10.00 a pieca at autozone and MAYBE 10 minutes of time. you can DEFINATELY do these yourself. As for the airpump...Don't know...

I'm dragging this post up from a search. I'm also throwing a P1415 code and this looks like it could be my issue as well. Does anyone have any pics of the parts I may need or instructions on swapping out these check valves? I'm not even sure where they are?

Thanks,Shane
Old 04-18-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This thread is insanely long.

Sounds like the air pump or check valves went bad. Something that is not worth $900 in repairs, not even 300. Hell I'll even sell you mine if your that desperate to get the ses light off, mine are just collecting dust.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mc01ta
The tech said the 2 check valves are bad and the second air injection pump are faulty also. They are for emissions. Thanks for the quick response
I dont know if someone already said it cause im lazy too look. But emissions equip has a secondary warranty thats longer . My dad utilized this once on an old bronco id look into that
Old 04-19-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ss rally red
I cant quailfy to be an expert for every states EMI program but I have done over 20000 Et's in Ga. over the last 6+ years, our program is based on California's which is accepted as the toughest in the nation, we have been performing OBD testing since 99, in our program we do no visual inspection as to emissions equipment, we #1 have to verify that the SES light comes on when the key is turned to the on position, after that the test consists of checking for codes/readiness monitors and in the case of 00 & up cars/light trucks it may scan for the vin in the PCM. for 96 to 2000 veh. there can be 2 "not readys" and the car will still pass, for 01 & up only 1 not ready monitor and the car will still pass. As long some "edit" has been performed the test should be no problem.
This thread has me wondering: can I remove my air pump and still pass emissions in Ga.? I am having similiar symptoms as mc01ta (SES, bank 2 air injector malf.). It was suggested on another thread that my check valve needed replaced, can I just ditch it? I don't mind replacing it or the air pump if needed, but if my car doesn't need it, what's the point?
Old 04-19-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dgformula2k
This thread has me wondering: can I remove my air pump and still pass emissions in Ga.? I am having similiar symptoms as mc01ta (SES, bank 2 air injector malf.). It was suggested on another thread that my check valve needed replaced, can I just ditch it? I don't mind replacing it or the air pump if needed, but if my car doesn't need it, what's the point?
Check local laws as to whether or not they do emisions testing, and to what type they do. Is it the sniffer test, or just an OBDII scan. Technically, your car is supposed to have whatever it came from the factory with.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by psykoTA
Check local laws as to whether or not they do emisions testing, and to what type they do. Is it the sniffer test, or just an OBDII scan. Technically, your car is supposed to have whatever it came from the factory with.
I think its the sniffer test. They put something up the tailpipe, and then something in the gas tank. But I think they also plug a scanner into the PCM, maybe its both?
Old 04-19-2005, 10:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
If it has anything to so with emissions then I could have sworn that a newer law made the warranty on anything to do with emssions atleast 8 years.
My computer and cat were replaced under that federal emission law which made them cover it for 8yr/100K miles. GM has to foot the bill under this law. I was so happy. I think they said it was like 800 bucks for a new computer.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dgformula2k
I think its the sniffer test. They put something up the tailpipe, and then something in the gas tank. But I think they also plug a scanner into the PCM, maybe its both?
Then you could fail with no AIR system.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have time to read this all right now, but my dealer is I gave them their chance(s). They mis-diagnosed once (autozone got it right though) and the body shop did a really F-ing shitty job fixing the rear of my car after I got hit. Took it back and there was a new manager who wouldnt have let it leave looking like that. Yeah, well it still isn't right.

Oh yeah, the guy at the parts counter when I went for a new oil pump pickup tube o-ring before my cam swap was a complete ***. I, not knowing any better at the time, called it an "oil pump O-ring". He then pulled up the LS1 engine diagram and told me to show him this "oil pump O-ring". Well, I did. When he went back to get it I heard another employee laugh out "oil pump O-ring! that's a good one!". Yeah. My experience is dealers.

Now i'm sure they aren't all like that, but enough are.

Edit: Sorry I know that is off topic. I dont know if I still have it or if I threw it away thinking nobody would want it but I might have kept my AIR system. PM me if you want me to have my parents back home check the attic for it.

Edited again: I just looked at the dates and saw that this started last year.

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 04-19-2005 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hourang
$200 for the AIR pump?? you mean that thing i have sittin in my garage is worth $200??? i was about to throw it away! so anyone want to buy it dirt cheap?.
My thoughts exactly! I'm not sure but I think I might have thrown mine away. Gonna have to check on that.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Air pump only pumps at start up. This adds air for the cats when they are cold. You will need to trun off the faults with tuning sohtware. I do not think they will pass your car if the SES light is on.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hourang
$200 for the AIR pump?? you mean that thing i have sittin in my garage is worth $200??? i was about to throw it away! so anyone want to buy it dirt cheap? lol. i think you waised your money buying that, i woulda just removed the AIR, it doesnt affect performance at all and if you get the code removed there will be no SES and depending on the test it should pass emissions no problem, the AIR system is only on startup. im guessin the reason you had problems is because of an exhaust or vaccuum leak from the AIR.
Exactly what I was going to say. Actually, somebody is usually selling those exact items on eBay and in the forum here really cheap after they take them off. I just yanked my whole system out (except the bracket...I got too much dirt in my eyes that day to bother with it). But I am saving mine just in case the emmissions fairy tries to leave a rejected inspection sticker under my pillow.

Another neat thing I noticed is that the PCM seems to think that the AIR check has completed with the codes removed. So if anybody scanner it they would really need to know what they were doing I think.

Quick Reply: major issue with check valves