General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

major issue with check valves

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Urgent Help Now Major Issue!!

I had posted earlier today about my problemm with my ses light on, took to dealer, etc. Dealer told me my extended warranty would not cover the check valves going bad. Cost would b $900 for everything, which i do not have. I need to know what the check valves are, if they can be fixed for cheaper, how to, removed possibly etc. The car is a 2001 Trans Am and i live in VA (I think emissions is big here). Also lastly how long can i drive with these being bad, the ses light is permanately on and i do not wanna damage my car.

Thanks for the help
Old 10-22-2004, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did you ask the dealer what they are?
Old 10-22-2004, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
Did you ask the dealer what they are?
yeah. call them back up and ask exactly what they are talking about. then come post what they said. there are a bunch of techies here who will stear you in the right direction. dealers typically jack the price up on minor things, and they might be yanking your chain about it not being covered.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

The tech said the 2 check valves are bad and the second air injection pump are faulty also. They are for emissions. Thanks for the quick response
Old 10-22-2004, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok. well i'd personally go back to the dealership and have them tell you exactly what is broken, show you the diagram, and write down the part numbers for you. then come back and search the net. you can probably get them MUCH cheaper elsewhere. there are always people who pull off the emissions and sell the air pumps(which go for like 150 bucks at the dealership) for like 25-50 bucks on the board. i thought it was really easy to remove my air pump, it wouldn't be that difficult to just replace it.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

what about check valves? I was told each valve was on each side of the motor and connect to the air injection pump assembly. i am not gonnna have time to get these parts off the board, will probably have to buy parts direct. i gotta have emissions. other opinoins, ideas on cost b/c this can't be this much
Old 10-22-2004, 03:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If it has anything to so with emissions then I could have sworn that a newer law made the warranty on anything to do with emssions atleast 8 years.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:11 PM
11 Second Club

junk yard, my friends 97 LT1 had a bad check valve, threw a code, we went to the junk yard and pulled one off of a 88 TPI, put it on, cleared the code with scan tool, never had a problem again, he paid for it, so i dont know how much it was, definally check out a junk yard, and if you dont know where its at, theres one on each side above the valve covers, about the size of a babys fist, its got a metal pipe on one side connected to the exhaust manifolds and a rubber hose on the other end

Last edited by LiqudFire350; 10-22-2004 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RedReaper
If it has anything to so with emissions then I could have sworn that a newer law made the warranty on anything to do with emssions atleast 8 years.

emissions in general i dont know, but i know cats have to be warrentied to 60K miles, my car had 46K and already had both cats replaced under warrenty
Old 10-22-2004, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Why is it that some people on this site think that dealers are "pulling thire chains".If people would really read what their extended warranty covers and not covers there would not be so much controversy.Some extended warrantis do not cover emmissions componets plain and simple.It sounds like you need the 2 air check valves replaced.Also do you guys understand how much a scan tool costs and how much our tools cost?A lot of the guys on here have no clue how to fix a car so they come on these forums ,which is great that is why we are here.But i am sick of the people bashing the dealers.If you guys are so smart go spend $3,500 on a Tech 2 and start diagnosing your cars yourself. Chevy Tech from Chicago
Old 10-22-2004, 03:20 PM
11 Second Club

i thought tech 2's ran about 6K
Old 10-22-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anthony m
Why is it that some people on this site think that dealers are "pulling thire chains".If people would really read what their extended warranty covers and not covers there would not be so much controversy.Some extended warrantis do not cover emmissions componets plain and simple.It sounds like you need the 2 air check valves replaced.Also do you guys understand how much a scan tool costs and how much our tools cost?A lot of the guys on here have no clue how to fix a car so they come on these forums ,which is great that is why we are here.But i am sick of the people bashing the dealers.If you guys are so smart go spend $3,500 on a Tech 2 and start diagnosing your cars yourself. Chevy Tech from Chicago
one reason i bash dealers on warranty.

i was throwing P0455 on my 02 Dak R/T. the dealer here said something along the effect of "blah, blah, blah.......$418".

i said ha! someone suggested to me to go to another dodge dealership, because some are jerks who try to overcharge. i took it to the dodge dealer in abilene while i was there visiting, left it there for a few hours. the fixed a split hose and charged me nothing! deemed it warranty work. and i know of several people that have tried having warranty work done to cars, and were turned down. even though warranty covered them. some dealersa re just jerks. get over it!
Old 10-22-2004, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

Federal emmissions does not cover air check valves.It covers the pcm and the catalytic convertors.It is 8 years or 80,000 miles from the original purchase date.To be honest Liquid Fire i don't think a Tech 2 costs 6 grand.But i know they are at least about 3-4 grand .I would have to contact Kent Moore to find out for sure.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

thanks everyone for the timely replies-

1) no junk yard right now and still not completely sure i understand everything about this. All i know is when my ses light went on and stayed the car ran like crap so i'm taking it the car needs to be fixed asap. Also i need to stay emissions lega so i gotta do this. Any idea on cost to pay someone for parts and labor outside of the crazy rates dealers charge?

2) My car has no cam, basically stock minus lid and catback

3) Bad time to be negative right now because i will chew your head off, i'm not in a good mood so stop, i'm not bashing dealers, just in my case my warranty never seems to cover anything and dealerships take forever to fix anything and cost is absurd. I've yet to meet a dealer i like that i actually feel like is taking care of me. I know how to do minor work on my car, lack the funds and tools to do what you might be able to do.

I am in a financial position right now where i can't afford $900 so sorry if i'm freaking out, i work 3 jobs and use my car for everything. I hate that when something goes wrong it usually goes really wrong for me. any other comments, suggestions, i welcome them
Old 10-22-2004, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

im not too worried about the price, we got one donated to my school, so i use theirs, which is the one from my story earlyer about clearing the code on the LT1, not that anyone really cares
Old 10-22-2004, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

dont fear the junk yard, check and make sure it is in fact the check valve, i dont doubt that it is, just take it off, blow in both ways, see if it flows in one direction and not the other, this is a very easy thing to replace, two wrenchs and one pair of pliers, i would seriously consider going to a junk yard and testing one, but its your car, your money, your decision
Old 10-22-2004, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

I bash dealers because I went when I had like 15,000 on the car a pulley was sqeaking. I pull up the lift the hood and they say "with all these mods..I don't know what is supose to sound like" I say: "all the Mods as you call them came from SLP and that is where the car is sent to become an SS, so the car could have come this way if I ordered it this way" Then a miracle happened and they all of a sudden could hear the noise. Not to mention they are over priced or other places would be the same price as the dealer. I also have heard the same as luvmez28. I understand being in business to make money but legal rape should be illegal.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:47 PM
TECH Regular

what the hell is a check valve exactly? is this something that we may be able to fix without having to buy a new one? I'm so lost on this, i hate my car right now
Old 10-22-2004, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

This is going out to Luvme Z28.I am sorry if you have had issues with dealers.Find a good one and keep a good repore with them.I am not trying to insult anyone at all.But you would not believe what people think is covered under a warranty."I hit something and my mirror got knocked off".Is this under warranty? These are the people who call a service dept with outrageous bullshit.Good luck luck to everyone with their dealership experiences.I work at a Chevy/Buick dealer on the nw side of Chicago.Anyone in the area with dealer problems let me know if i can help.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

wanna fly my car over to your shop in chicago from va? c'mon do it, do it....DO IT!!!!

Quick Reply: major issue with check valves