General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Any Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta tell you I had a Freont drive 3.8 car that had the same issue.. nearly exactly... I replaced the Map and Maf. Noe effect. Turned out the Fuel pump was about to crap out. Although your miles are low for that.
I think the others are right. Dealership....At least for the diagnosis.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it seems like an Opti-spark problem..mine did this wicked as **** to..but mine was more hesistation but wait that was on my LT1..**** im just glad it ain't my car
Old 11-11-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by msbz_ls1
it seems like an Opti-spark problem..mine did this wicked as **** to..but mine was more hesistation but wait that was on my LT1..**** im just glad it ain't my car
3.8 V6s don't have Optispark... only LT1 based motors are bless with that lovely invention.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:45 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

I'm betting it's a clogged cat. Get that checked first.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Silvrshark
How about just take it to a dealer and pay the price. Your wasting time f&cking with all this B.S.

Easier said than done, I work every day from 8 in the am til 5 pm and then off to my second job from 5:30 -12. I'm a working girl
Old 11-12-2004, 01:41 PM
Teching In

As low as the miles are I would be SHOCKED if it had a clogged cat..BUT if it does the cats are covered by warranty for MUCH longer than 3/36
Old 11-12-2004, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

A way to find out if it is a clogged cat (which I doubt) or a sensor:
Originally Posted by hawgs
Try reseting the PCM. Put the key in the "on" position and pull the PCM BAT and PCM IGN fuses from the fuse box under the hood on the driver side. Let it sit like that for about 5-10 minutes and turn the car off THEN replace the fuses. Then start the car up and drive it around the block... if it still goes into "limp mode" (where it barely revs and wont go above 50) then it could be a clogged cat or transmission problems of some sort, but if it runs right, even just for five minutes, then its some sensor.
I swear... I think some people just ignore my posts.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks Hawgs, just got home from work and i'm reading all post now, i will be workin on this whole mess tomorrow and through out the weekend! Have a good one guys and I'll let you know what i turn up on Monday!
Old 11-15-2004, 08:23 AM
Staging Lane

I would really like to know what you think you are gonna reset by disconnecting the pcm fuse?What is this gonna do?
Old 11-15-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by anthony m
I would really like to know what you think you are gonna reset by disconnecting the pcm fuse?What is this gonna do?
Since you really want to know... I KNOW, not think, reseting the PCM as I described will clear out all the trouble codes and make the computer relearn everything including all the sensors.
Old 11-15-2004, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

Since you really want to know... I KNOW, not think, reseting the PCM as I described will clear out all the trouble codes and make the computer relearn everything including all the sensors.

Thanks Ross! I will be doing that when I get off work!
Old 11-15-2004, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thegirl
Thanks Ross! I will be doing that when I get off work!

And will this reset all sensors? And is this something that Auto Zone diagnostic can read?
Old 11-15-2004, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

So this is gonna fix her problem of no power?Just to let you know on an obd2 vehicle you are not gonna reset anything by disconnecting the battery.If your car sets a code with obd2 it is not gonna reset by disconnecting the battery.If you have a loss of power to the pcm maybe overnight it will not show any codes when you recheck it.Telling someone to reset their pcm to try and fix a car setting a lean code and not having any power is crazy.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

So this is gonna fix her problem of no power?Just to let you know on an obd2 vehicle you are not gonna reset anything by disconnecting the battery.If your car sets a code with obd2 it is not gonna reset by disconnecting the battery.If you have a loss of power to the pcm maybe overnight it will not show any codes when you recheck it.Telling someone to reset their pcm to try and fix a car setting a lean code and not having any power is crazy.
Did you read my post? Its very apparent you either cannot read or just skimmed it.

I did not say anywhere in this thread that reseting the PCM will fix her problems. People were suggesting that it might be from a clogged cat... so I suggested reseting the sensors via reseting the PCM so the car would run right while the computer is still relearning everything and you could rule out the possiblity that it is a clogged cat. If she reset the PCM and had no trouble codes and the car still felt like it had no power then the problem might be from a clogged cat (though I seriously doubt it). Reseting the PCM will take it out of "limp mode" and you will be able to tell if it is a sensor problem or a mechanical problem somewhere.

Just to let YOU know... reseting the PCM per the directions I gave will in fact clear problem codes, and I never suggested removing the battery cable.
Old 11-15-2004, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

I know Ross, I reread your post and will be doing so when I get off, thanks for taking the time to explain!
Old 11-15-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thegirl
I know Ross, I reread your post and will be doing so when I get off, thanks for taking the time to explain!
Great... glad to hear you understand. Now if only we can get Anthony there...
Old 11-15-2004, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Great... glad to hear you understand. Now if only we can get Anthony there...
Hawgs what do you do for a living?Are you a GM master tech as i am?Go ahead and keep "reseting pcm's".You could not fix a sandwich.So you think you are gonna pull a pcm fuse and it is gonna run right because you "reset" the pcm?You might clear a dtc but you are not gonna reset anything.
Old 11-15-2004, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hawgs what do you do for a living?Are you a GM master tech as i am?
No... I make more then 30K a year, so no I am not a GM tech.

Go ahead and keep "reseting pcm's".You could not fix a sandwich.So you think you are gonna pull a pcm fuse and it is gonna run right because you "reset" the pcm?You might clear a dtc but you are not gonna reset anything.
So tell me, oh great GM master tech, what happens after you reset a PCM and clear trouble codes? Does the car have to relearn all the sensors?

Lord help anyone that brings their car into the dealership where this guy works...
Old 11-15-2004, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Hey guys, no need to argue, we are all here to offer advice and receive advice, not criticize each other!
Old 11-15-2004, 02:58 PM
10 Second Club

I'm with hawgs on this one. The car WILL relearn the sensors when the PCM has been reset. It will not fix anything (not even a sandwich as was pointed out), but it could point you in the right direction.

Quick Reply: Any Suggestions?