General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Leaking Antifreeze, maybe the water pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Leaking Antifreeze, maybe the water pump?

I just noticed the other day that there is a puddle of antifreeze under my car, I opened the hood and looked under the car a little and it is dripping from somewhere under the motor onto the stearing components. Do you think this could possibly be my water pump going bad or what are some other things to look at? If it is probably the water pump, is there a certain one I should get as a replacement?
Old 05-06-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only non-oem water pump i know of is the meza...whatever electric water pump...and yes this could very well be your water pump or just some hoses that are leaking
Old 05-07-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check head gasket/ hoses/ connections / waterpump

I know a guy that got a replacement pump from autozone and it's working fine for him.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:03 AM
TECH Regular

i might just be your waterpump gaskets, it happend to me. also do a pressure test on your radiator to see if it has any cracks.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:04 AM
Launching!

Is your low coolant light on? I had to replace my water pump when it spilled all over the parking lot at work. When I first bought my car, the low coolant light was on, and it was the sensor. So when it came on again I ignored it thinking it was prolly the sensor again, oh but it wasnt. Check all your hoses, you might have one that has a crack or split in it and needs replacing.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitly check every damn hose under that hood, not just above where the leak is. I had a minor coolant leak for a few weeks and it was coming out of the k-member, but it turned out to be deteriorated water pump gaskets.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:13 AM
9 Second Club

could just be a gasket that would be my first thing, should be easy to spot, or get the car up to temp and pop the hood and watch for steam or water
Old 05-08-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

that happened to me. It ended up being the gasket. Bought one from the chevy dealer and installed it. Painted the pump while it was off. You should put in a cam and a 160degree thermostat while the pump is off.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got another 'lil bit to add to this. I am experiencing the same thing, but I also have a squeal that is very very noticeable at startup, but once the car is up to operating temp, it goes almost completely away. Could this be the water pump, or could this actually be caused by the gaskets leaking. I don't think it is a sucking air type sound, but someone told me if the gasket was bad, it could be sucking in somne air causing this noise.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the same problem. No noises but it looks like it is leaking from where the pump attaches to the block. i was told by a guy there is a weep hole in the pump that lets you know if the bearings are going bad, hence the seals. does anybody know where this weep hole is? I cannot really seem to find it from the top.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:04 PM
10 Second Club

If the pump is going bad the water will be coming out from under the pump and leaking straight down the middle of the front of the block.. It will leak coolant down onto your A/C belt and cause it to "squeal".. Mine just did this and I replaced the pump with a OEM Delco pump for $160 bucks. Very easy install also.

If its the weep hole then it will come straight out of the bottom of the pump.. Not the sides where it is bolted to the block.. If water looks like its coming out from around the bolt holes then you more than likely have a leaking gasket.. If its coming out of the bottom of the pump then replace the whole pump..
Old 07-01-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, mine was leaking from the weap hole. It is located under the pulley itself, so it is not visable. Mine was leaking down the front of the pump, across to the passenger side, then down onto my A/C stuff. This caused the squealing and ultimately has caused me to need to replace either the idler or tensioner pulley for the a/c. If it is leaking from where it connects to the block, do what 1QuickT-A said and replace the gaskets. Cheapest place to get them is Advance, and they have fel-pro gaskets. That should solve it for ya!
Old 09-01-2005, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Just had the same problem. Did a pressure test and found it to be the gasket. My 02' Ws6 has only 27k miles and the gasket fried. ?????
Old 09-01-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

I got a new water pump from Autozone for around $ 135 and threw it in. Checked all hoses while apart, none were bad.

Problem solved.

Pretty easy install, took way longer than it should have beside I got sidetracked into several other things while I was in there. Cleaning, touch up paint under battery, put a lid in, more cleaning.....