General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Blinker (DRL) bulb number?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinker (DRL) bulb number???

Ive read that the bulb number was 3457.

But ive seen that 3357 and 3457 are the same thing...but are they really??

I had to change my drivers side DRL bulb (went through the brake duct) and i took it out it was cracked.

The socket was caked in a brown/black greasy, sticky substance (looked like oil) and it was all over the bulb socket and the plug from the car (more on the plug...all in the crevices where u plug the bulb in)

Now i know thats not normal....so what was it??? I noticed that the previous owner had put 3157 bulbs in...would that have cause such a mess?? Are the 3157 bulbs compatible with our cars? (trying to figure out if the previous owner was a moron)

Thanks.....Greg
Old 06-04-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I have gone brain dead.... I don't remember which bulb you should use. All the black yucky stuff is fron the DRL's being on all the time and heating up the sockets. My advice would be to get the proper bulbs and do the DRL delete. Sorry That I don't remember the bulb number. I am sure that some of the great guys here will give Ya the number!!
Old 06-06-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was told 3157 for my camaro. My friend with a T/A was told 3457. My 3157s have done fine except that I'm missing the rubber washer that goes between the socket and the bulb. Water always finds a way to get in and shatters the bulb. If you are still not sure, just go to an auto store and ask them to look it up on the computer. Its that easy.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used 3457. The goo is to prevent corrosion to the socket when water gets in there, except my goo was clear like vaseline or something.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anything similar to that should work. I figured that it was grease to waterproof it and prevent corrosion. The only problem I have is that my bulb gets hot then a drop of water hits it and shatters the bulb. I have replaced my DRLs more times than I can remember in less than 1 year. Guess its time to make my own rubber seal unless someone else knows where to get one that fits that socket.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

I think that the greasy stuff is probably "dieelectric compound" of silicon grease. It is common to use it to keep a good connection. And G.M. has replacement sockets if you need to replace yours due to a bad connection that overheats the socket.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything I've read has been 3457. The difference may possibly be that the 3457 is a cooler running bulb. I have a problem with water getting up in my passenger side housing, and I just had to buy a new socket harness for that side cause it was completely corroded. Cost me $51 so I'm going to take the whole housing out tomorrow and figure out how water is getting in and seal it up good. I've had zero issues on the driver side.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yeah, I had to replace the crappy crimp connections gm used to connect the socket to the wiring harness because they had corroded through.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

autozone carries the socket for $8 part #85881
its listed as the rear but its the same as the front.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:54 AM
Launching!

http://autotrix.net/Product-Daytime-...Gaskets_5.aspx

Here is replacements gaskets for anyone having problems with water getting in the DRL's

They are far better made then the one's GM used and thicker.

Quick Reply: Blinker (DRL) bulb number?