General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Having trouble recharging a/c

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 08:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Having trouble recharging a/c

My AC is hot as hell, but it won't recharge. I keep plugging the can up while running the A/C but the can won't empty out. What is wrong?
Old 06-07-2005, 08:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

make sure your hooking it up to the low pressure side, and you've unscrewed the part that pierces the can (not the part that screws on to the cap) i know thats obvious but i did that then just make sure ur AC is on full, i also see you ahve a 98, we have problems w/our compressors, they dont shut off in time at WOT so after some WOT runs it burns a hole in the compressor, does it click while your ac is running? and how many miles do you have?
Old 06-07-2005, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

I have around 71000 miles. I haven't noticed any clicking but i'll check. I've searched and checked other posts to find out where to fill and i am doing the right one.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, well just make sure that once you pierce the cap unscrew the thing that pierces it, i know it sounds dumb, but i did it and it took me awhile to figure it out, start the car and make sure ac is on full and it should suck it right up, you also may want to drain the current refridgerent, i just pushed down the valve w/a screwdriver til it came out, i dont think its legal tho, then i refilled it
Old 06-07-2005, 10:12 PM
12 Second Club

I did that. It isn't working, i even took the can and hose off to test and see if it would come out and it did. But when it is hooked up it won't come out. Also, does it make sense that the A/C and Vent settings are hot. Even at night the air is substantially hotter than outside air and i figured the vent setting wouldn't be affected by the A/C since the A/C shouldn't be engaged.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

you should make sure you dont have air in your system. I am lucky enough to have a vacuum pump and i drew a vacuum on the entire system, then recharged it with a small amount of oil, and all new freon. works like a dream.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:58 PM
12 Second Club

I'm going to have to take it somewhere. Any ideas on why all my climate control settings give me hot air on the coldest setting? I figure the vent setting would give me hot air when it is hot out, and cold when it is cold out, but the vent seems to always be warm no matter what temp it is outside, even when the engine is cold.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:12 AM
TECH Junkie

the vent setting shouldnt be hot all the time. it should be around the outside temp like you thought. thats why i havent recharged my AC until now. after the cam install, it was winter time, and i had no need for AC. but now its hot as hell, and i rehcarged it yesterday.

just a thought...are you using the fitting close to the radiator, or one by the compressor?
Old 06-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
the vent setting shouldnt be hot all the time. it should be around the outside temp like you thought. thats why i havent recharged my AC until now. after the cam install, it was winter time, and i had no need for AC. but now its hot as hell, and i rehcarged it yesterday.

just a thought...are you using the fitting close to the radiator, or one by the compressor?

I have yet to see an F-Body with 2 of the same size fittings in the HP side and the LP side. It's either going to fit and snap into place, or not fit at all.

Ensure that when you are putting your hose on, the fitting is truly seating properly on the port. On some AC kits, the connector will snap onto the port, but not be fully seated. I had to loosen my dryer and pull it out of the bracket to get the hose to fit on properly without being kinked or bent.

Check inside the port, there should be a valve that is similar to the ones on your tires, CAREFULLY push it in with a valve tool or something similar, keeping your face away from the port in the event it is still charged. Sometimes the valves may stick and not allow any refigerant in.

Look down into the engine and make sure that the compressor clutch is actually engaged, it's electronic and if it's not engaged, it's not gonna suck.

With the car on MAX A/C, the bottle should take 10-15 minutes to fully discharge, depending on compressor and system condition. You can put the bottle of refigerant in warm water to accelerate the discharge process.
Put a
Old 06-08-2005, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

Yes i am definitely using the right fitting, not the one by the radiator. I'll check the valve and the compressor clutch and see if they are working and get back to you? Any idea how much this **** is gonna cost if this doesnt fix it?
Old 06-08-2005, 12:53 PM
12 Second Club

The clutch works, the valve shoots **** out if i push it in. The refrigerant will leave the can and enter the hose, i believe some is going in in the valve, but the can will not empty out with the A/C on full blast even for twenty minutes. The shitty part is that i only HAVE to drive on the hottest times of the day. The windows dont help, i'm going to find a place now and have this fixed because what i am doing isnt helping. Any suggestions on where to go?
Old 06-08-2005, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, sounds like you need an evac and recharge. Not sure what's going on there. You could also be overcharged, which is almost as bad as undercharged.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01SSRMS
Yeah, sounds like you need an evac and recharge. Not sure what's going on there. You could also be overcharged, which is almost as bad as undercharged.
The question is-is it blowing ANY cold air at all, or just full hot air?

It definately could be overcharged-it's a shot. Get down to you LHS and get a pressure gauge/hose assembly and give it a shot. I paid $5 for mine. Check to see if you are overcharged.

If you want a quick check, close all your vents on the dash except the center and insert a refrigerator (or meat) thermometer into the center one. run the AC on Max with blower for 10 minutes and it should drop to 40-50F on a full charge. Any less and you may have a partial- or no charge in the system. Also works while filling the system.

It probably would not hurt to TRY and give it a shot of oil, maybe you'll get lucky.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the compressor engaging when you turn on the A/C?
Sounds like you have enough pressure for the low side
switch if you can't load it. High side switch should only
cut out after the compressor has run and pumped it up.

Full time hot may be a problem with the vacuum operated
control flaps that steer the air, and not the chiller itself.
Check the outlet refigerant line from the cabin if the
compressor does run, see if it's cool. Should sweat lightly
if there is enough juice. If it's frosting up then you aren't
blowing air across the evap.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:01 AM
12 Second Club

The compressor is dead....now it makes noise almost everytime i turn the A/C on (which i dont anymore). Some guys at a shop around here said it may have run out of oil, and that maybe it had a leak. I dont know what to do now but i aint payin them $800 for parts and labor.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well you can always check the classifieds for people who are ditching their A/C and install it yourself.
Good luck...
Old 06-09-2005, 03:40 PM
12 Second Club

Thats a good idea!!!

How hard is an A/C compressor to install?

Last edited by spy2520; 06-09-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:41 PM
12 Second Club

Is there a write-up anywhere?
Old 08-05-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Who cares? At least you woun be out $800. Do it!
Old 08-06-2005, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

4 bolts on the compressor the belt and the lines and pig tail to the clutch it's that simple maybe 20 minutes with hand tools