General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

water in tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005 | 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Default water in tail lights

I currently own a 99 TA and for some reason I keep getting water in my rear tail lights. Is there anyway I can fix this problem? Could I drill a hole in the bottom of the lights to help the moisture escape? The reason I thought this would work is because my friends 02 Z28 has hole in the back side of his headlights. I figured they put the hole there to release excess moisture.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-09-2005 | 08:19 PM
TECH Regular

my passenger side does the same thing...

i did end up drilling 3 holes on the bottom backside of it, one on each end and one in the middle. 'cept over the years of having water in there the pass tail light is substantially dimmer than the non-problematic driver side. i assume its from the reflective material being stained and dirtied by the water, i even tried to wash the inside with dishsoap...

but yea, take it off and drill some holes in the bottom backside and at least it wont retain water anymore.
Old 06-09-2005 | 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help! Did the holes stop it from fogging up?
Old 06-09-2005 | 11:46 PM
TECH Junkie

lol my passenger side does that too !! wtf is that about, why only one side, gj GM !
Old 06-10-2005 | 08:32 PM
TECH Veteran

my taillights don't have that problem, my backups are the ones that keep getting moisture in them
Old 06-11-2005 | 07:36 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

From: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...
Thumbs down no drilling

I would not suggest drilling any knd of holes in your tail lights. While it will allow liquid out, it will alow condensation, dewpoint, and freezing wintertime moisture in1

Best thing is to take out the tail light bulbs, remove the assembly/housing. Go and carefully seperate the two piece in a cool dry room, clean them thoroughly, and then re connect them with a silicone sealant from any hardware store. Then you KNOW water won't be getting in, and you won't have to worry about exposure to the elements. I've done this to my front turn signals and it works PERFECTLY, without drilling into them.

The silicon sealant I am refering to is RED is colour, I forget the name.

Good luck!
Brad
Old 06-11-2005 | 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Diolar Magnum
I would not suggest drilling any knd of holes in your tail lights. While it will allow liquid out, it will alow condensation, dewpoint, and freezing wintertime moisture in1

Best thing is to take out the tail light bulbs, remove the assembly/housing. Go and carefully seperate the two piece in a cool dry room, clean them thoroughly, and then re connect them with a silicone sealant from any hardware store. Then you KNOW water won't be getting in, and you won't have to worry about exposure to the elements. I've done this to my front turn signals and it works PERFECTLY, without drilling into them.

The silicon sealant I am refering to is RED is colour, I forget the name.

Good luck!
Brad
really, why do people take the easy way out. just buy some rtv sealant and be done with it. drilling holes will only make it worse............plus they will end up getting dull from both sides being exposed.
Old 06-12-2005 | 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

My passenger side is the same
Old 06-13-2005 | 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ultraz
really, why do people take the easy way out. just buy some rtv sealant and be done with it. drilling holes will only make it worse............plus they will end up getting dull from both sides being exposed.
easy way out? i'm really tryin not to take offense...

i aint about to break it in half and rtv it when i should just take the really easy way out and get another taillight. quite honestly from looking at it i'm half afraid i'd break the darn thing trying to seperate them. and since mine has always been alot less reflective than the other side due to years of having about an inch of stagnant pond scum sloshing around in the bottom i felt drilling holes to keep it from pooling water was acceptable.

regardless, its been awhile since i did it and its no worse and i dont have any condensation. kinda silly to say not to drill holes because it will allow the elements inside when said elements are the problem in the first place...

btw, it aint like i drilled 1/2" holes on the outside of the lens.