General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

strange ticking

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange ticking

Yesterday I was blessed with not just one but two missed shifts and pegged the **** out of the rev limiter for about a second each time. I've never hit the rev limiter before so I dont know if it could be contributing to the ticking. Anyway, the ticking sounds like it is on the left bank and sounds kind of like a stuck lifter. It is very noticeable throught the exhaust too. just tick tick tick. its also stuttering at low speeds and revs. I just put long tubes on about two weeks ago if that helps. All wires looked to be in good shape. Also the problem started the next morning when I tried to start off in 1st. Any ideas or places to start looking?
Old 06-30-2005, 04:22 AM
11 Second Club

sounds like that tick tick tick is a header leak.... check the bolts and make sure there tight and make sure that you didn't blow away part of the gaskets.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:33 AM
Teching In

Might want to go ahead and re-tighten all of your header bolts. That may be the problem. Ive went through a lot of trouble with header leaks in the past, due to bolts coming loose.
Old 06-30-2005, 06:45 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most times if its a header leak, you MAY be lucky and tighten it and it will go away. But if you drove on it, it is probably burned through so look for another set.

F.Y.I. LT1 valve train is noisey, especially when you do cam, lifters, and springs. Its happened to my car and a a few others I personally know. It annoys me but at least I am not alone.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It might also be bent pushrod or something.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Lightbulb

Try to pin point what cylinder it is on the driverside and check that plug. I had the same problem. Mine was ticking like yours and I thought it was a lifter or a plug wire. It turned out to be a loose plug. I took the plug out to check it before I tightened it up and the cap on the top of the plug was also loose. Try that. Just thought I would try and help since I was going through the same thing after my LT install. It could also be a little header exhaust leask. I also have a little bit of that, but the ticking did decrease by just tightening that plug and cap on the plug. GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 06-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Teching In

its a good chance it the lifter i had the same promblem
Old 07-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Teching In

my guess would be a bent pushrod. I have seen a lot of guys bend them when they miss shift.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go simple first. you just put on headers so its a good possibility that you have a leak or a burnt plug wire, either of which will create a ticking noise though slightly different from eachother. The burnt plug wire will cause a misfire which a lot of times makes a ticking-like sound. You have stuttering so it is more likely a misfire than a header leak. However, if the noise started right after hitting the rev limiter twice, you cant eliminate the possibility of a bent push rod or collapsed lifter, though neither of which even rearely happens on a stock LT1.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:04 AM
Banned

happy im not the only one! If it's a bent pushrod for me I'm just gonna get buy the best top end I possibly can.....for a college studnet who works on min. wage haha
Old 07-02-2005, 12:13 AM
TECH Regular

Well if he is having ticking and stuttering I would think it would be the exhaust leak because and exhaust leak will let fresh air into the manifold thus making your O2 correct for a false lean mixture (making the engine run rich). That could possibly cause stuttering as it did on mine.