General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

1992 Chevy Camaro RS - V8 overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Chevy Camaro RS - V8 overheating

Hey how's it going? My brother has a 1992 Chevy Camaro RS it's a v8 and 2 months ago the car was over heating really bad. We took it to the shop paying $600 which they said they replaced a fan, water pump, drained all the black coolent out. They didn't say anything about the radiator related to the over heating tempurture problem. I went back today cause the car was very smokey, leaking coolent, and the temp was over red lining. If you can please tell me what the problem is and any info that would be great. The mechanic says it's the radiator but, shouldn't they have fixed that? I just want to know if fixing the radiator is a part of what I payed $600 for. I feel like I'm getting scammed in a way and I paid way 2 much, or I talked to some friends and they told me that it could of been a little hole that started out and now it's big. I'm not saying that all car shops do this but I know that some do scam people by putting holes in there vehicels or damaging their cars in a very small way, then it get's into a big problem so they come back. But if you can help me in anyway it would be greatly appreciated.

p.s.- I'm a newbie about cars, so is my bro. We don't know 2 much and if you can please leave some comments, or any suggestions that would be great.

Thank you for your time,

Antonio
Old 07-16-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

Where is it leaking coolant from? You said the coolant was black, was there oil in it?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Teching In

I bet it was time to replace the radiator. i bet the the coolant was never maintained. dude that just sucks. it seems like to me that they are trying to get a few bucks. i cant believe there are some ppl still like that out there. GREED what BS. Take care man good luck.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the fan switch replaced on the 92 RS I had. The buttheads at the shop that did the work didn't replace the last gallon of coolant (in a 2 gallon capacity system) and I had a HUGE problem with overheating until I got it home and discovered the problem.

It took another week or so for all the bubbles in the system to work their way out and I didn't have to add any more coolant after that. Don't know if that's part of your problem or not, but really threw me a for a loop until I figured it out.

Fan switches are a common issue with those models. If they didn't replace that item the fan won't turn on at the right temp, or unless your a/c is on. A good indicator of a bad fan switch (now that the fan was replaced) is if there isn't a cooling problem as you are going down the highway. There's plenty of air getting through the radiator then.

Those are the two problems I had with mine...dunno about yours. Hope this helps.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

if the coolant in your car was black then it was only a matter of time till the radiator let go. sorry for the bad news.

keevin
Old 07-24-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

you might want to go ahead and replace the heater core too.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:39 PM
Teching In

very smokey, leaking coolent, and the temp was over red lining
smokey from under the engine compartment or exhuast???

check the coolant again to see if its oil or corrosion...

seems to me like you have a plugged up radiator and someone put some stop leak in it before, which made the coolant dark.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

do not forget thje thermostat
Remember that the 3rd gens have motors that run hot
i agree replace the radiator and heat core... bad news.. sorry

Quick Reply: 1992 Chevy Camaro RS - V8 overheating