General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

3-4 cranks before start

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005 | 09:13 PM
Teching In

Default 3-4 cranks before start

just wondering if anyone has had this problem the last couple of days it is taking forever to start my '00 z. it is only doing it when it has been sitting and i just thought it was something simple like a bad fuel filter but i did that yesterday and it happend again today? any ideas? im thinking maybe fuel pump but thats just a guess...........PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 08-09-2005 | 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zmokum
just wondering if anyone has had this problem the last couple of days it is taking forever to start my '00 z. it is only doing it when it has been sitting and i just thought it was something simple like a bad fuel filter but i did that yesterday and it happend again today? any ideas? im thinking maybe fuel pump but thats just a guess...........PLEASE HELP!!!!
Try swapping your iginiton relay and your starter relay. If she starts then your ignition relay is going bad, and needs to be replaced. Your ignition and starter relays are identical and are under the hood in the fuse box panel.
Good luck!
Old 08-09-2005 | 10:07 PM
Teching In

thanks seagraves, i tried that after you posted and it started okay but if that relay was bad then would my starter worked ok? i just got home about and hour and a half ago so i guess i wont know till in the morning? any other ideas?
Old 08-09-2005 | 10:10 PM
Teching In

if my fuel pump was going bad wouldnt i have problems other then when i try to start it?
Old 08-10-2005 | 09:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zmokum
thanks seagraves, i tried that after you posted and it started okay but if that relay was bad then would my starter worked ok? i just got home about and hour and a half ago so i guess i wont know till in the morning? any other ideas?
Its just the ignition relay is under more stress than the starter relay, because its relaying more power for longer periods of time. Thats why I said that swapping the relay would work for now but needs to be replaced soon.

When a fuel pump goes out it would never start, no matter how many times you cranked it over.
Old 08-14-2005 | 12:00 AM
Teching In

well.....you were right it has started with every turn of the key for the past few days since i swapped the relays......ur the man......thanks!! can i just get those relays from advance or autozone or do i need to get them from gm?
Old 08-14-2005 | 10:29 PM
Teching In

I have the same problem with my 95 z. it turns over for a few seconds before it starts. But when the car is warmed up it sarts better. should i try the same realy thing or would this be a different prob?
Old 08-15-2005 | 06:17 PM
Teching In

thats the same symptoms that i had.....i guess it would work on a lt1 too. its at least worth a try.
Old 08-15-2005 | 06:18 PM
Teching In

well it sounds like the same symptoms that i had....i guess it would work on a lt1 too....its worth a try at least.
Old 08-19-2005 | 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seagraves#8
When a fuel pump goes out it would never start, no matter how many times you cranked it over.
But when a fuel pump is going bad, or has a bad check valve two things can happen that can cause slow sluggish starting....

1. Not enough pressure is built up when the pump primes
2. Not enough pressure is held

Pressure not being held can be something like a leaky injector as well.
Old 08-20-2005 | 12:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SporkLover
But when a fuel pump is going bad, or has a bad check valve two things can happen that can cause slow sluggish starting....

1. Not enough pressure is built up when the pump primes
2. Not enough pressure is held

Pressure not being held can be something like a leaky injector as well.
I guess that makes sense, but I have never heard of a fuel pump going bad. I think that if the above ^ was going on with the fuel pump it would have more problems than a sluggish start, IE.....poor performance.........starting then dying......etc. At least I know what to look for if my fuel pump "starts" going bad.
Old 08-20-2005 | 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seagraves#85
I guess that makes sense, but I have never heard of a fuel pump going bad. I think that if the above ^ was going on with the fuel pump it would have more problems than a sluggish start, IE.....poor performance.........starting then dying......etc. At least I know what to look for if my fuel pump "starts" going bad.
A tell tale sign of GM pumps, and other pumps I have heard is their sound. I had a delco pump die on me, it wasn't putting out as much pressure, but during the month that it was dying the starting was sluggish, and it sounded loud!

If you are familiar with GM two speed fuel pumps, it will start to sound like it's always on high speed. Loud audible whine.
Old 09-01-2005 | 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Seagraves#85
Try swapping your iginiton relay and your starter relay. If she starts then your ignition relay is going bad, and needs to be replaced. Your ignition and starter relays are identical and are under the hood in the fuse box panel.
Good luck!

Thank you!!!
Old 09-05-2005 | 02:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SidewayzOZ
Thank you!!!
Old 08-08-2006 | 10:20 PM
Launching!

I had to respond to this old thread to say thank you very much. I think this did the trick.
Old 08-17-2006 | 05:22 AM
Teching In

Default Having the same problem

I am having this same problem on my 95 Z. I can't find the Ignition relay and Starter relay anywhere, Including my Chiltons manual. The car runs and accelerates great once it is started, but it always take 2-3 long cranks to get it started. I will check the fuel pressure today, but because there are no other symptoms, I really don't think that is it. Any help would be very appreciated.

Old 08-17-2006 | 04:41 PM
Launching!

It is located in the under hood fuse box on the drivers side of the LS1. Look at the diagrams and it will tell you which is what.

Quick Reply: 3-4 cranks before start