General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Instrument Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster

I have a 2000 t/a and I wanna take out the instrument cluster but im not sure how it pulls out, i took off the trim around the cluster, and then the 4 bolts, the cluster gets loose but im not sure how it comes out after that, is it just plugged in and you pull it straight out? I just wanna make sure cuz i don't want anything to break. Thanks
Old 08-18-2005, 07:33 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the IP cluster bezel.
2. Remove the instrument cluster bolts.
3. Remove the instrument cluster. Gently pull the cluster straight out in order to disconnect the electrical connector.

Installation Procedure

1. Align the instrument cluster to the IP carrier alignment pins.
2. Install the instrument cluster bolts. Tighten the instrument cluster bolts to 2.2 N·m (19 lb in) in the following sequence:
Upper left
Lower right
Upper right
Lower left
3. Install the IP cluster bezel.
4. Synchronize the IP cluster. Refer to the following procedure:

Instrument Panel Cluster Synchronization

When installing a new IP cluster it must be synchronized to the supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) module in order to synchronize the new cluster, perform the following steps:
Connect the Scan Tool to the data link connector (DLC).
Proceed to the SPECIAL FUNCTIONS key under INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER.
Select the SYNCHRONIZE IPC and SIR key.
The screen will display: IPC and SIR modules-Now synchronizing modules.
If the procedure is completed successfully the screen will display: Module Synchronization Complete.
If communication is lost with the SIR or IPC, the screen will display: Loss of Communications with Vehicle - Check Diagnostics Link Connector - Check Ignition (On/Off).
Old 08-18-2005, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Lets not forget to disconnect the negative battery cable.
Take the 'knee panel' off.
Remove the two bolts and drop the steering column - otherwise good luck with getting the cluster past the steering wheel.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:12 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Very good points, surprised they left that out!
Old 08-19-2005, 12:37 AM
Launching!

ok thanks guys, another question, if i were to get a used or new instrument panel how does the odometer work, I would want the same mileage that was in the old panel
Old 08-25-2005, 07:02 PM
Launching!

heres an update, I got a used cluster on ebay from a salvage yard, I bring my car to the shop I work at, and take the old one out, i put the new one in and almost all the lights work, the low coolant light still doenst go on for the bulb test, on the old cluster, the coolant, hatch open, abs inop, air bag, service vehicle and temp guage didn't work, so we take apart the old cluster and noticed that the void stickers were gone and that on the circuit board someone carefully used a pick and broke the circuits to the lights, I'm guessing cuz the abs has some codes in it, now how do I change the odometer to the old mileage, is that something that GM can do? thanks
Old 08-25-2005, 11:08 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

How far off is the new one's mileage from where your old one was?

I don't know how to change the mileage; they try to make that hard to do even for legitimate reasons, because of the risk of fraud. Haven't heard of GM doing it either.

Apparently when dealerships have to replace the cluster/odometer, they put a sticker on the driver-side door frame indicating when the replacement was done, what the old mileage was, and what the new mileage, is at the time of replacement. You could try calling a dealership and seeing if it's possible to get one of those stickers, or you could maybe just make your own if need be.

I'd suggest you also hang on to the old instrument cluster as proof, in a box in your garage or something.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Launching!

What happens if you don't perform this synchronization procedure? I just swapped a '97 Cluster into my '95. The only problem was the seatbelt light, it goes from bright to dim but never shuts off when the seatbelt is latched.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The dealership can put whatever mileage you tell them to into the new cluster. I bought a new cluster from a dealership in Phoenix, they asked me what to put in before they send it to me. I told them a number and they put it in.

Mileage is only stored in the cluster, the PCM has no idea and doesn;t keep track of it either.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ACW
Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Replacement
4. Synchronize the IP cluster. Refer to the following procedure:

Instrument Panel Cluster Synchronization

When installing a new IP cluster it must be synchronized to the supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) module in order to synchronize the new cluster, perform the following steps:
Connect the Scan Tool to the data link connector (DLC).
Proceed to the SPECIAL FUNCTIONS key under INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER.
Select the SYNCHRONIZE IPC and SIR key.
The screen will display: IPC and SIR modules-Now synchronizing modules.
If the procedure is completed successfully the screen will display: Module Synchronization Complete.
If communication is lost with the SIR or IPC, the screen will display: Loss of Communications with Vehicle - Check Diagnostics Link Connector - Check Ignition (On/Off).
I meant this procedure, not the mileage/odometer fix

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster