General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Leaking front turn signals...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Leaking front turn signals...

I searched, didn't find anything. I know this happens to a good amount of people, not sure why nothing came up.

Anyway, every time it rains, or the sprinklers hit the front of my car, one of my turn signals bulbs explodes and the housing is full of water.

I'm guessing that BOTH of my housings are busted somewhere. Is there an easy fix for this, a drain hole somewhere that needs to be unblocked or something? If nothing else, what's the part number for this item. I looked in the list, but the partsdirect site says "lamp" so I dunno if that's the actually housing or what.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:07 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 288 Likes on 245 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Part numbers are 10301405 for left and 10301404 for right. That's the turn signal/DRL housing and lens assembly without the socket or bulb.

There's really not much you can do with a leaky housing except maybe take it off and see if you can add some silicone sealer to fill any gaps or cracks.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Take it out and inspect it. Ussually between the lens and body.Use a two part epoxy if u find a crack or a seperation
Old 08-24-2005, 09:31 AM
Banned

19.95 each...get a new set http://www.partstrain.com/products/L...~TRANS_AM.html
Old 11-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Teching In

I drilled two 1/4" holes in each lamp towards the front corners where the water naturally collects. then took some 3m clear emblem adhesive and seal the cracks in the lamp. solved my problem.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KDOG
I drilled two 1/4" holes in each lamp towards the front corners where the water naturally collects. then took some 3m clear emblem adhesive and seal the cracks in the lamp. solved my problem.
If if GM had done half of that engineering for us we wouldn't even have the problem in the first place. OR, if they had just installed the socket vertically at the rear, again, no problem.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
I searched, didn't find anything. I know this happens to a good amount of people, not sure why nothing came up.

Anyway, every time it rains, or the sprinklers hit the front of my car, one of my turn signals bulbs explodes and the housing is full of water.

I'm guessing that BOTH of my housings are busted somewhere. Is there an easy fix for this, a drain hole somewhere that needs to be unblocked or something? If nothing else, what's the part number for this item. I looked in the list, but the partsdirect site says "lamp" so I dunno if that's the actually housing or what.
I don't know why you didn't find anything. Maybe you have to search for lense, or blinker, or directional signal, or POS, or bad engineering. We all have that problem thanks to GM, and I know I've seen posts about it.

Might I suggest that you replace the light sockets while your down there fixing the lenses. They are probably both corroded by now.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have had a leak for a year and a half but only on one side. I have figured out the problem with my DRLs. After removing both lights several times, I noticed a difference on the bulb socket. On the side of the socket is a lip that protrudes around the base where the wires connect. On the light side of this lip there should be a factory rubber seal to make a water tight connection to the housing. My passenger side had this seal but my driver side didn't. I have only replaced my passenger side twice because of a broken light in the last year and a half. I have replaced my driver side several times because it lacks the seal causing water to leak through the bumper cover in front of the headlight and seep through the socket hole on the top of the DRL housing. It might be a good idea to go to the dealership and ask them for this seal, OR just make one of your own. I got in a hurry and put electrical-safe gasket around the socket where the seal should be. Since I had to be at work, I didn't have time to let the gasket dry properly so I installed the bulb causing the gasket to connect the housing to the socket. I'm sure I'll never have a leak but if I ever do anywhere else, I'm screwed since the socket is pretty much glued to the housing.

Hope this info helps. Let us know if you have the seal.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ramairbrc
If if GM had done half of that engineering for us we wouldn't even have the problem in the first place. OR, if they had just installed the socket vertically at the rear, again, no problem.

agreed! sockets facing up is a no-no! that is plain COMMON sense. they should have included holes too. you think they would have learned from past experience. what experience you ask? just 3rd generation camaros. gm issued a bulletin to drill holes in the park lamps for this same reason!!!
Old 11-11-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like I might need to do the drill mod soon.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just add more blinker fluid...jk

Quick Reply: Leaking front turn signals...