General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 05-20-2016, 01:08 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Left Turn Signal not working, What's wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Left Turn Signal not working, What's wrong?

I got in my car yesterday and went to turn left out of my street. I turn the turn my left turn signal and the left rear light was just on and will not blink. It also does not blink on the gauge cluster. Anyone knows what wrong? do I have a dead fuse or something like that? I also notice while inspecting the car that my front Yellow side marker light is also dead. Can it be related? I'll switch the bulb tonite, but any help will be apreciated.

Thanks,
Killa
Old 09-09-2005, 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

Yes, you have a burned out bulb, and that will cause all the things you just described.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2005, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

ok i had the same problem. and i changed the blinker light in the front and in the back and nothing fixed it. it looks likt to me that there are 2 different bulbs in the front turn signal. is that true? if so the other one seems to be in a box?
Old 09-09-2005, 09:20 PM
Coach Purse Queen

I've had fuses that weren't totally 'burned' cause the same issue (tested fine but obviously weren't). 'Still working' but not totally functional fuses can cause similar issues and also partial operation (faded light, not fully lit).
Old 09-10-2005, 05:49 PM
12 Second Club

Not really sure about a camaro, but the TA has only one bulb for the turn signal in the front. 3457 is the number.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

K, guys I finally had time to mess around with this (works has been crazy). I changed the front left side marker bulb. It is working, but still no blinking. Left turn signal works fine and if I turn the hazards on both sides blink. I also need to replace my Right head lights (Hi/Lo) that appears to be burn out but. Any more Ideas I looked over at the Light related fuses and everything seems to be good. I'm at a loss.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

check your taillight.

also top off the blinker fluid, it might be a little low.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:31 AM
Teching In

The bulb is burned out. I've just burned out my third one on the left front.
The third one lasted two weeks. There's two bulbs in that housing. The small one is the side marker and the big one is the directional. The directional bulb plugs into the top of the light housing. Good luck getting it back in, I couldn't the last time. I could get it into the housing but I couldn't get it to snap in place. I removed the small bracket behind the head light housing to give me more room but I still couldn't bend my arm in three directions at the same time. Just as well I guess since I have to replace it again!
Old 10-02-2005, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

I had the same problem not long after driving my TA off the lot. Within one month I had replaced the drivers side driving light and both headlights (one blew while the dealer was fixing the other).

All of them had condensation in them. Living in Florida is probably the underlying cause, but I've since stopped taking her through drive-through car washes as a result.

I did notice that when I set my alarm the turn signal flashed when it appeared to not work at all as a turn signal, but the mechanic told me that the two lights weren't the same? I can't really remember :\

Needless to say, I've had quite a few lamp issues with this car since owning it.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I first got my TA, the front right turn signal/DRL didn't work. Replaced the bulb. Still nothing. Then I read on here that the sockets have a tendency to fail due to excess moisture leading to rust, corrosion, dirt, etc. Sure enough, the contacts in the socket were nasty. Got a new one from AutoZone for $6, works like a charm.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Arrowsflight My wife really likes your sig and avatar. We have a 4 month old Flemish Giant. We use to have a dutch.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

sorry to dig up a dead thread but check your tilt wheel, if it is stuck inbetween positions, this may be causing the blinker not to work? happened on my '00 Z28...
Old 10-29-2005, 11:27 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I had similar problems, and it turned out to be the flasher. If the bulbs aren't burnt, the sockets aren't ruined, and the fuses aren't burnt it could be your flasher. On my 'bird, it was right behind the HVAC at the back of the center console.

Originally Posted by komik
When I first got my TA, the front right turn signal/DRL didn't work. Replaced the bulb. Still nothing. Then I read on here that the sockets have a tendency to fail due to excess moisture leading to rust, corrosion, dirt, etc. Sure enough, the contacts in the socket were nasty. Got a new one from AutoZone for $6, works like a charm.
That's good to know. When mine went out three years ago, none of the auto parts stores carried the socket--it was a GM-only part.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Guys, Thanks for the help guys! It turn out that one of the lead wires on the bulb was busted. The Bulb would turn on when the lights where on but it would not flash when the turn signal was on. I took the bulb out and the wire fell out. I clean the nasty dirty socket with some alcohol and put a new bulb and that fixed it.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:48 AM

That is how the car tells you you have a bulb out somewhere. replace the bulb and it will work again.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Same problem??

Originally Posted by Killer_Bluebird
Guys, Thanks for the help guys! It turn out that one of the lead wires on the bulb was busted. The Bulb would turn on when the lights where on but it would not flash when the turn signal was on. I took the bulb out and the wire fell out. I clean the nasty dirty socket with some alcohol and put a new bulb and that fixed it.
Amazing that I have the exact same problem... but I wish mine would have been fixed as easily. My left front directional signal stopped flashing, so I changed the bulb... the socket was nasty, but worked... for a couple weeks, then it blew again. So, I purchased a socket and replaced it... it flashed twice and blew again.

(And as a side note, what idiot engineer mounts the bulb from the bottom of the lense when the back is just as accessible, and gravity won't aide the accomulation of moisture on the electrical contacts!! A second side not, it the bulb is quite accessible by removing the two 10mm bolts on the access flap directly under the bulb. Look closly, you should be able to figure it out. My forearms are WAY too thick to allow me to access the blub through the fake brake duct under the lense.)

Anyway, I pulled out the socket and bulb and tested them, and they BOTH worked fine. So I went for my fuses, and found one marked tail lights (go figure, since this is a front light) was blown, so I changed it. Still nothing. I disembled the entire front wiring, and everything checked out fine. Now mind you, both the dim and bright sides of the bulb would light for Daytime Driving Lights (they are bright if the headlights are off, but dim when you turn the headlights on) so I know that the socket worked and the blub was getting power. But still no directional signal on the left side front... the right side works fine! And the back left come on and stay on, just like the dash indicator. So, I pulled the flasher anyway and tried one for a friend's car just in case... no difference.

So, odd how we have the same problem, but several HOURS later and I still have the problem. When I called my local Pontiac service department, they told me to bring in the car as it might be either a bad directional signal switch or headlight switch (why not, everything else checked out.), But the only way to check it would be to replace it. Of course, as soon as I post my car for sale this becomes a problem... damn Murphy and his laws!

Any thoughts? Anyone else had this problem? Which one is it likely to be, and I'll just change it myself.

Thanks, Bob

(P.S. Mods, I don't consider this a hijack as we are all talking about the same problem.)
Old 11-01-2005, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Just a reminder, when you guys change the bulbs and clean out the sockets, don't forget to put bulb grease as this will help keep the moisture away from the contacts.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Really, no help at all on my problem?
Old 03-11-2018, 09:32 AM

Ok I think I've figured it out the ll552 flasher is electro mechanical it needs atleast one set of standard bulbs to run so I need a new flasher that's all electric as for the fog lights flashing it is a ground problem the signal is ground through the fog lights via drl system I hope the next guy to have this problem see this post I spent 2 days figuring this out...I'll look into that flasher I'm gonna try to find one local though

Quick Reply: Left Turn Signal not working, What's wrong?