General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

is this bent/ broken? (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is this bent/ broken? (pictures)

i ran into a curb on the pass. front side of my car, it has been acting extremely strange, very bumpy, sometimes i get a lopey feeling from the tire/wheel. my alignment is off bad, and the wheel needs to be at an angle while im driving for the car to go straight. also was pulling 2.5 60fts all day long at the track. i noticed this when i was changing the oil, not sure if its anything or not, but let me know what u guys think, what could be damaged etc.

damaged?

this side is straight
Old 09-23-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

To me it seems like the angle of the driveway is causing your car to lean. That is what is making the tie rod appear that way. Doesn't look bent to me. Then again, pictures can be deceiving. May need to take it to an alignment shop though to see why the steering wheel isn't centered. If they are a decent shop, they can check out everything under there and let you know what's up. Good luck!
Old 09-23-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I the pic your tires look like they are wearing on the inside, that could be excessive toe out that can cause instability. I would take it to a reputable alignment shop and get a 4 wheel alignment.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

what would be causing the toe out? too low/high air pressure? or just messed up alignment.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alignment. Hitting the curb would have thrown it off. Toe is adjusted through the tie rods so something could have happened to your passenger side.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:49 PM
Launching!

fix your oil leak
Old 09-23-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

idk where that would be coming from.. up above is.. the engine.. >.> ****
Old 09-23-2005, 11:02 PM
Launching!

Well first, our cars are only 2 wheel alignment adjustable. Second, if you are getting excessive wear on the inside of the tire that is more so a sign of not enough camber (ie. negative). Toe out of adjustment will cause a feathering or cupping on the edges of the tires and if extreme an odd sideways wear.

How long ago did you hit the curb? How many miles are on the car and the tires? Have you ever had the car alignment checked?

If you hit a curb and the steering was straight before, but is off to the side now then you may have knocked the car out of alignment.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00firebird
i ran into a curb on the pass. front side of my car, it has been acting extremely strange, very bumpy, sometimes i get a lopey feeling from the tire/wheel. my alignment is off bad, and the wheel needs to be at an angle while im driving for the car to go straight. also was pulling 2.5 60fts all day long at the track. i noticed this when i was changing the oil, not sure if its anything or not, but let me know what u guys think, what could be damaged etc.

damaged?

this side is straight
See how the inner tie rod (the rod you marked with a red line) runs parallel, for the most part, with the lower control arm in both pics. This tells me there is most likely nothing bent. See the bolt in the first picture to far right of the lower control arm behind the boot partially. That is to adjust the camber and caster on these cars. Also see the bolt behind it that the head faces down. That is also to adjust caster and camber. It appears to me, but may be an optical illusion, that the front bolt has moved outward towards the wheel. If this did occur it would cause more negative camber.

Have you had the wheel and tire checked? By the looks of the wear on that R/F tire you may have busted a belt when you hit the curb. If so that will cause a wobble at low speeds that gets worst. Just to many variables. Best advice is to have a local shop look at it.