General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Front fender bulge

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front fender bulge

I have been reading some posts on here about this topic and noticed that I have it on my car. I looked under my car and noticed the "do not jack here" tab has been bent. My fender has been like this since I got my car, but now that I know what caused it it bothered me enough so I started pounding the bend out. The drivers side I have bent all the way back to normal, but there is still a big gap, and on my passenger side I used a set of clamps to bend it back a little bit and then hit on it with my hammer and broke part of the plastic so I have not gone any further. How can I fix these now to remove the gap? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:03 PM
12 Second Club

mine had to be bent almost flat against the floorboard to close the gap, one actually is flat on the floorboard.

the plastic is probably going to have to break, mine is broke on both sides, but part of the metal is attached to the fender is it isnt abig problem. The easiest way i found to bend it back is to remove the two screws and use pliers to bend just the metal bracket backwards. then screw it all back together. It is made up of one bracket attached to the fender and the other attached to the floor i believe, i just bent the one attached to the floor then screwed them in and it pulled it all back together and lined up fine, closing the gap will take a couple tries but its quick and easy.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there anyway to fix the piece of plastic I broke or would I be able to continue bending the rest of it back and not worry about it. And should I heat it up if I can or is that not necessary to bend it further?
Old 10-07-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Be sure to heat the fender before bolting it back, this will soften the plastic and lessen the chance of further cracking.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Will a hair dryer work for this or will I need to get a heat gun to do this.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would buy a cheap heat gun and play it safe.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

i didnt do any of that, most of the plastic that the 2 screws would go through is gone, it isnt needed, i dont think a heat gun is necessary but could be a good idea.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:25 AM

when i bought my car it was like that on the driverside but i used a piece of wood rubber malot ant a towel, i put the 2x4 jabbing the metal tab and put the towel inbetween the paint and the wood, then hit the wood slowly bending it back, it looks a lot better know still need to go a little bit, its all caused by dumbass's that jack the car up there and then are like oops
Old 10-09-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spy2520
i didnt do any of that, most of the plastic that the 2 screws would go through is gone, it isnt needed, i dont think a heat gun is necessary but could be a good idea.
I do bodywork and paint for a living, I have done work on cars more valuable than most will see in there lifetime. Boyd Coddingtons Chezoom, the #38 69 ZL1, Carrol Shelbys personal KR 500 conv, just to name a few. I know a little about what I do.

No, a heat gun is not necessary but it is a good precaution against further breakage. If the tab is bent flat there is a high chance that it will split appart if just hammered back into place. everyone knows that heat will soften plastic and allow it to bend easily.

Unbolt the fender then bend the metal tab back into place then heat the fender and slowely bend it back into shape, After the fender has cooled then you can bolt it back into place. this is the best method to minimize further damage.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:57 PM

Use your hands or LG pliers with cloth under them to bend it back. Do not do on a cold day or heat it w/ hair drier first.