General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Battery died today...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Battery died today...

Well I got out of class way early this morning so I went home to work on rewiring a few things for my stereo. I had the ignition turned to accessory power a few times for a few minutes testing things out only probably totaled about 25 minutes worth of on time I dont have a gigantic amp or anything fancy its a 600 watt peak rockford fosgate RF2002 nothing special.

Well suddenly the sound cuts off the radio but its still on , I was like WTF! then the power antenna goes half way down and back up over and over again, so needless to say at this point I'm freaking out so I tidy some **** up and go inside to calm down for a minute. Lock the car and hear the horn a very very very faint beep. Then I realized the battery was dead.... I felt like a total dumbass.

After about an hour trying to jump the car back to life (yea I've never done it before so I had to learn a few things) I succeeded and it seems to be running ok.

But my question is should the battery have died so completely that it couldnt even push the power antenna up or fully power on the headunit after 25 - 30 minutes worth of accessory power and no engine running? I mean the reatained accessory power is 10 minutes it just doesnt seem right. Does this mean my battery is on its way out and I need a new one or is this pretty normal ?

Sorry for the long post and relatively dumb question but I thought I would share my moment of panic and stupidity with you all
Old 10-20-2005, 07:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best way would be is to get the battery tested.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:38 AM
Launching!

thats typical mine did the same thing
Old 10-20-2005, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My battery was original to the car and died this year with 7 year and 75k miles on it. How old was yours? If it was less than four years old it died early. If it was more than five years old, it lived a good life and you should mourn it appropriately as you put in a new one.

Old batteries don't have much left in them and can go at any time. Just like the rest of us.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am pretty sure it is more than 5 years old, I am guessing it is original to the car making it about 7 years old and 82k miles. It seems to be running just fine now but I should def. get a new one ?
Old 10-20-2005, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Luna
I am pretty sure it is more than 5 years old, I am guessing it is original to the car making it about 7 years old and 82k miles. It seems to be running just fine now but I should def. get a new one ?
yeah id say its time for a new one... 7yrs id bury that thing with pride!
Old 10-20-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, mine worked fine right up to where it didn't run fine. I got a Douglas battery for $50 w/a 5 yr warranty. I'm happy about it.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

.....eeek lol i replaced my optima red top with a autozone battery...and even OLDER battery! lol i dont learn...