General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Problem starting; also sputters sometimes at 2k rpm

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem starting; also sputters sometimes at 2k rpm

Lately (since fri) when driving my car I have been getting a jerking feeling when im @ around 1.5-2k rpm but then it might go away. But when I shut my car off it wont start. It will turn over just fine but its like its starving for fuel. I got it stated once when it was acting up w/ starting fluid and it would jump to 3k then drop like it would die and it kept repeating. Butwhen I left it alone fri night it started right up sat morning then acted up when driving then didnt start. Same as today it ran and then was acting up. Any suggestions on what it might be? Do I have a TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor) on my car? I know it played hell on my c/k1500. Or could my fuel pump be going out?

Thanks in Advance for any help or suggestions

Nick

Also the throttle sticks AND acclerates aswell when driving

Last edited by SmokinHot98; 10-24-2005 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:19 AM
TECH Resident

ttt.. anyone?
Old 10-24-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, you have a TPS. Is the SES light on? Could be a dirty MAF, plugged injector(s), old tired fuel pump, old fuel filter, old plugs. If no SES, start by cleaning the throttle body. Take the intake tubing off & clean with throttle body cleaner (not carb cleaner). Then get some electronics cleaner & clean the tiny wires on your MAF. The MAF is the sensor in the tubing near the throttle body. Use a q-tip & do not push on the tiny wires or resistors. Must be careful not to damage. Make sure there's nothing rubbing against the throttle body or cable causing it to stick. Change the fuel filter & put a bottle of Techron based (Chevron) injector cleaner in the gas tank. For the heck of it, change the plugs. If the problem persists, either have the fuel pump checked or just change it. Also have the rest of the ignition checked. Good-luck.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Yes, you have a TPS. Is the SES light on? Could be a dirty MAF, plugged injector(s), old tired fuel pump, old fuel filter, old plugs. If no SES, start by cleaning the throttle body. Take the intake tubing off & clean with throttle body cleaner (not carb cleaner). Then get some electronics cleaner & clean the tiny wires on your MAF. The MAF is the sensor in the tubing near the throttle body. Use a q-tip & do not push on the tiny wires or resistors. Must be careful not to damage. Make sure there's nothing rubbing against the throttle body or cable causing it to stick. Change the fuel filter & put a bottle of Techron based (Chevron) injector cleaner in the gas tank. For the heck of it, change the plugs. If the problem persists, either have the fuel pump checked or just change it. Also have the rest of the ignition checked. Good-luck.

Well ever since I got the car the SES light has ben on. The code was stating it was EGR involved. I have a new fuel filter, plugs, plug wires which were cahnged only 5k ago. I have 95.7k on my car. I'll try that but I think its more serious than that b/c I drove my car only MAYBE 30 miles @55-60mph and I USED UP A 1/4 TANK OF GAS!!!! And so I let it sit over night and I come out I'm missing another 1/8. Now could it just be the sending unit thats wrong. The fuel pump seems to prime. It could be getting weak. What are the specs on the stock pump?
Old 10-24-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

30 miles on a 1/4 tank? Were you blowing black smoke out of the exhaust? If not, check the fuel pressure; maybe there's a fuel leak. Would think that if it were the fuel pressure regulator, you wouldn't be using all that fuel, it would go back to the tank. You also said the throttle gets stuck. Why? have you looked into it? Is the only SES code EGR related? Sounds like there should be more codes. Maybe O2 sensors, ignition coil, TPS if the throttle body is sticking open. Would try reading the codes again.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:15 AM
TECH Resident

yeah i'm getting a diagnostics done 2day from a local shop
Old 10-25-2005, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SmokinHot98
ttt.. anyone?
IT IS A IGNITION RELAY. Ger under the hood fuse panel swap your ignition relay and your starter relay and see if that solves your problem. If so buy a new relay and you should be good to go. This is a normal problem in the f-body.
Good luck!!
Old 10-25-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

As weird as it may sound I just had a diagnostics done and it was my coolant sensor there on the DS on the head. I believe the connector was loose or bad sensor (which I ordered anyway) it was reading as if the motor was running @ -40* so the fuel regulator was dumping Fuel like MAD (got 13.5mpg I avg 17-19). So everything is cool right now. Its an easy part to replace but I guess it is a very important sensor for the motor. $16 my cost @ GM and they wanted to charge me $60 for the part and labor

Thanks for all the help
Nick
Old 10-25-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Good to hear ya got her figured out.