General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

car overheating

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car overheating

Today while driving down the road, all of the sudden my car was overheating. I pulled off imediatly and let it sit. However I just let it sit a min before i opened the coolant cap. So of course alot of coolant, and smoke came out. So I let it sit till it was cold, filled up a 2 litre bottle with water, and poured that in. The water would stay at the top, then fastly be sucked down. I guess this is normal. I cant see that it is leaking anywhere. Then I drove it back to the house which is less than a two min driving paying close attention the the temp, it was jsut below 210 when i got back to the house. Then, I just went outside and turned the car on and let it get up to temp to make sure the fans were commin on. Before I turned it on i added anouther 1 litre of water to it. Then when the gauge red just a little over 210 the fans came on and I cut the car off. Then I heard a sound like when you pour out a 2 litre bottle of water, you know how it doesnt all just flow out smoothly, kinda like a gulping sound. So now im wondering if its still the water pump, or maybe a clog in the radiator or something? Anyone have any ideas of what is wrong?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 11-03-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like what my wifes Blazer is doing. Her car wont run hot though but it will boil the water out while sitting and especially after you turn off the car. The temp gauge is normal. I think hers is a blown head gasket and the compression from the engine is building up pressure in the radiator.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Launching!

damn well i really hope its not a blown head gasket, i mean i guess it can happen, the car has right at 80k on it, but i havent driven it hard in a week or so.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

headgasket would also have the white smoke out of the tailpipe sign.

Is it burping in the overflow resevoir? Check and make sure both speed fans are working. Start the car and turn on the a/c. You will here the low speed fan come on, let it sit and run. You should hear the high speed fan as it comes to up to temp.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:25 PM
Launching!

Ok just had some guys that know more come over and look at it. Since i opened the cap while the engine was still hot, coolant sprayed out for like 10 sec, so we had to put a good amount of water in. The water pump seems to be pumping water, and the oil looked fine, so we dont think its a blown head gasket. Also there doesnt appear to be any leaks. So now we are thinking the thermostat isnt opening up all the way or something. Tommarow im going to go buy a new thermostat and see if that fixes the prob. which hopefully it will.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

Thermostat sounds like the culprit. Change that and I will bet that everything is OK.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Teching In

I was gonna say change the thermostat. Mine went bad and it was real slow letting you pour water in. Than it would open up and no problem.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:54 PM
12 Second Club

get a lower temp thermostat , mine temp hasent left 170* since we installed it

Quick Reply: car overheating