General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

My car is acting stupid again!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default My car is acting stupid again!

Well just a while back I had a problem with VATS and the car wouldnt start, so I messed with the wires a bit and it would run but with the security light on. Now the car is really acting wierd. It was fine yesterday and then I filled the car with fuel and it started feeling like it had a little bit of a lowend miss, but it seemed to get better so I just forgot about it. When I went to shut the car off it shut off but the gauges on the cluster swept the whole guage, and the lights were already off and the key just removed. I went to start it up and it would not idle on its own (I would have to give it gas to start), it would just die out. As long as I kept a little throttle on, it would run. As I was driving it, the gauge cluster would flicker off and on and the gauges would go down as if I shut the car off then come right back on. It would do that every little bit. Now nothing on the car will respond at all. No remote unlock or dinging if the key is in the ignition with the door open. No start, no accories nothing. I went out side a minuit ago to try to mess around a bit and under the hood towards the front of the car it was making this knock knock knock knock sound without the key in the ignition. Then it just stoped.
I dont have a clue what is going on, can someone please help me?
Old 11-09-2005, 04:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kinda sounds like an electrical problem. for starters I would check your battery and alternator. When you have voltage problems your car can do some very strange things. After that from the things you are describing I would suspect that there might be a BCM(body control module) problem. This controls all your lights, gauges, theft deterant, and things of that sort
Old 11-09-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Regular

I will try to figure it out this weekend. Need all the help I can get guys.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, when my car completely died, remote woundn't unlock doors, no lights, etc. my battery was toast. Saw lower voltage at lights on my gauge for a week prior - ignored it cause it started fine - then it just went.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

I got a brand new optima a week ago because i was having problems.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

What does it mean when the little LED bulb blinks very fast when I open the door.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do u mean by u were messing with some wires? this pretty much tells me u messed something up and now u need to trace your previous work and see what you had done. If you were having problems with the VATS system, what kind of problems were you having, what did you do to the wires, and do you have any blown fuses? also, keep your battery voltage in check and dont let it die. this way we know its not a battery issue. this definately does NOT sound like a charging issue so that rules out your alternator.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Regular

The wires I am refering to are for the VATS. I tried to put in a resistor but the car would run when the wires got cut, I still put in the resister anyway though. I have not had time to check fuses in the past couple of days. I know it is not the batt or alt. I think it is probably a fuse or something similar.