General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dirty coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 11:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why??...Dirty coolant?

I checked my coolant level the other day and then wiped it off on a rag, and it look blackish like it had mixed with oil, but i dont have a blown head gasket or anything(cause i think basically anyone would notice that), tell me your opinions?
Old 02-01-2006, 01:05 AM
Staging Lane

How many miles? You need to change it after a certain amount of miles.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:24 AM
TECH Resident

When I went to buy my 2nd 95 Z28, I checked the coolant in the radiator and reservoir. It had this dark gray substance that on first inspection looked like oil. I looked closer and decided it wasn't oil and I would flush the cooling system after I bought the car.

When I got the car home I drew some of the coolant up into a baster and put it in a clear container. The coolant had two layers, one was green and the other orange. The dark gray sludge in the mix was aluminum that had eroded from the radiator and heads.

Although the new coolants claim they can be mixed, I figure the coolant I had in this 95 was the old stuff. Someone had put the green glycol into the factory dexcool and the erosion process was in earnest....
Old 02-01-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Veteran

interesting thanks!!!
Old 02-01-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Black does not sound good to me.
Dirty coolant usually turns brown or grey as 01z28m6 said.
I suggest a complete flush & replace with 50% distilled water and the correct antifreeze. If the black comes back it may be bad news.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Banned

once you go blk..you nver go bk.......
Old 02-02-2006, 01:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

flush it and check after some time, otherwise i wouldnt worry bout it,

try to use distilled water, or you run the risk of premature rust.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:00 AM
12 Second Club

also i don't know if this is the same problem but when i got my eclipse i changed the coolant and it was a darker color turns out the owner before me had a radiator leak and put some of that stop leak in it. found that out after i changed the coolant and i had a leak. =/
Old 02-04-2006, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by waiting2bl33d
also i don't know if this is the same problem but when i got my eclipse i changed the coolant and it was a darker color turns out the owner before me had a radiator leak and put some of that stop leak in it. found that out after i changed the coolant and i had a leak. =/
Hopefully you replaced your timing belt or at least inspected it. If he half assed on the radiator I would want to make damn sure that timing belt isn't about to go out.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CashMoney
Hopefully you replaced your timing belt or at least inspected it. If he half assed on the radiator I would want to make damn sure that timing belt isn't about to go out.
you usually check replace the timining belt when replacing the water pump

the radiator and timing belt are in no way related.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

TTT

I'm having the same problem, had it flushed, and it's still this nasty brown color. I'm running really hot about 210. It doesn't feel like I've lost any power. Any way for oil to get in the coolant besides head gaskets?
Old 02-23-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Veteran

head gaskets is probably the main reason for oil/coolant mixture, and 210 is not running "REALLY HOT" that about normal, most GM engines run around that area. Im not sweating the situation cause my gas mileage is not bad, and im not burning oil, so i think im ok!
Old 02-23-2006, 07:03 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

how about the possibility of the power steering fluid contaminating the coolant. sound stupid? it happened to me, in a simple way that I never would have guessed.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pjb
how about the possibility of the power steering fluid contaminating the coolant. sound stupid? it happened to me, in a simple way that I never would have guessed.
Someone has to ask you how your power steering fluid got into your coolant!
Old 02-24-2006, 09:57 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

not sure about all LS1s but my 98 has a power steering cooler. the power steering hoses run up to the upper raditor coolant hose, which consists of a rubber hose on each end with a metal pipe in the middle running parrallel with the radiator. that pipe not only flows coolant thru the center, but its outer layer also has power steering fluid going thru it. somehow the the pipe failed and allowed the power steering fluid into the coolant. It took me a few days to figure out why my power steering resevoir was going empty with no external signs of leakage. A cooling system pressure tester confirmed with bubbles appearing in the power steering resevoir. After replacing the coolant/powersteering cooler pipe it has been trouble free. side effects during the problem included contamination of the coolant level sensor giving a false coolant low light. removing the sensor from the radiator and cleaning the oily residue off of it fixed it. I think this happened gradually over a long period because I had the contaminated sensor issue before the power steering fluid lose was discovered. like anything else, once it gets worse its easier to find. this may not be your issue but I'm sure this must of happened to others, although I've never heard anyone else be familiar with this problem.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

PJB, that is exactly what's going on with mine, it's a '98 also. Thanks for the info, I'm going to go check it out now.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by black00TA
you usually check replace the timining belt when replacing the water pump

the radiator and timing belt are in no way related.
I realise that but what I'm saying if he put stop leak in instead of actually replacing the radiator maybe the previouse owner decided to save a little money and not get the timing belt changed..
Old 02-25-2006, 06:55 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

mcmillion - hope it helps. let me know. I posted this info before but got no responses from anyone having had similar problem.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pjb
not sure about all LS1s but my 98 has a power steering cooler. the power steering hoses run up to the upper raditor coolant hose, which consists of a rubber hose on each end with a metal pipe in the middle running parrallel with the radiator. that pipe not only flows coolant thru the center, but its outer layer also has power steering fluid going thru it. somehow the the pipe failed and allowed the power steering fluid into the coolant. It took me a few days to figure out why my power steering resevoir was going empty with no external signs of leakage. A cooling system pressure tester confirmed with bubbles appearing in the power steering resevoir. After replacing the coolant/powersteering cooler pipe it has been trouble free. side effects during the problem included contamination of the coolant level sensor giving a false coolant low light. removing the sensor from the radiator and cleaning the oily residue off of it fixed it. I think this happened gradually over a long period because I had the contaminated sensor issue before the power steering fluid lose was discovered. like anything else, once it gets worse its easier to find. this may not be your issue but I'm sure this must of happened to others, although I've never heard anyone else be familiar with this problem.
Holy Crap! Thats what my problem is. I've been losing power steering fluid somewhere and just noticed that its bubbling up like crazy out of my coolant reservoir. Thanks!
Old 03-01-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

01Z28M6 got it right on the money. Mine had the exact same problem.

Quick Reply: Dirty coolant?