General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Please help cant rid myself of detonation noise? cant seem to solve it

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Please help cant rid myself of detonation noise? cant seem to solve it

ok i had a noise goin on im my car which i belive to be detonation i had it scaned with hp tuners and in fact i had some KR. so i cleaned the maf and it went almost completely away.

so figureing the car is new to me ive owned for about 2 months, lemme give it a tune up sense i dunno when it had one last. i did seafoam treatment,NGK tr55's gapped .055,msd wires,fuel filter, pcv valve, and RP 10w30 for oil change, but after my tune up this noise that disapeared came back full force. my previous plugs were denso iridiums, and they all had a light brown colored seemed just right.

so i cant figure out what the hell is goin on. i get ping/clanging noise down low below 1500rpms when i tap the gas and detonation ping noise above 4500 WOT. im am gettin down to my last nerve with this **** please someone gimme an idea what else could i check to get rid of detnation why could it be happening.

Heres a previous thread from before on this problem:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/445950-ping-stock-tune.html

Last edited by rgaynor85; 02-06-2006 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:20 PM

dude i have the same problem and dont know what to do, it has me going bald at such a young age any help would be appreciated
Old 02-07-2006, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

lol well man we are in the same boat, its driving me nuts, if u find anything lemme know, im starting to narrow it down to possibly 1 cylinder oiling from im thinking leaking valve guides/seals. but im not sure yet. im gonna run my car in speed density mode and see if it helps or not eliminating the maf as the problem and then gonna have my mechainc look at it and good a compression and valve seal test, then possibly use my warrenty if i can. but if u find somehtin please lemme know
Old 02-07-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

What kind of gas are you guys using?
Old 02-07-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Resident

93 sunoco but ive tried other stations also to see if it was bad gas its annoying cause the noise comes and goes sometimes also like yesterday morning it was there and then lunch time i tok my buddy for a ride to show him the noise and what ever i did it wasnt there then after work it was there
Old 02-07-2006, 09:24 AM

93 at shell, i have taken the car at gm and they ended up pissing me off so i left 2 solid black marks on there service depart floor, they just gave the excuse that it was normal valvetrain noise i was like bullshit, fix it and they said there was nothing wrong with it so i will try a different dealer
Old 02-07-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

to bad ur in texas, id love to hear another car with my issue to see if its exactly the same
Old 02-07-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

Your pinging is probable happening because of carbon buildup from oil getting into the intake. Do you have a catch can? Do a Seafoam treatment.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

no catch can im reading on them now or a breather set up, and i did a seafoam treatment thru the brake booster sunday with my tune up also ran it thru the gas
Old 02-07-2006, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

this may be a stupid comment but is your A.I.R. gasket from the pipe to the manifolds good? did you RTV it? are you sure that all the spark plugs are in and the wires are on tight.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

anyway im am thinking it might be the gas ive used occasionally at the cheapy station by me i just sat in traffic for 1.5 hours tonite so i had alot fo time to think, when i had the issue before i was always runnin cheapy station gas, then the night i went to get it scanned with hptuners 1st i put 15 bucks of sunoco in and when i got there about 45 min drive away the noise wasant as loud or easy to make happen but still there, after that i ran sunoco for about the next week and i cleaned my maf at this point the sound was gone but on my way home i ran seafoam this time,

the next day the past sat. i ran it to "E" then i happen to fill it up at the cheapy station cause it was cheap. well i only drove it 1/3 mile home on back roads, the next day io went outside and did my tune up to discover the noisees were back,

well today i thought about it and it adds up to ther gas i think, so i got 1/2 tank left and i will fill it again with sunoco and see if it mystically disapears again, i really hope this is it, lol would make me so happy, especailly after seeing a 2700 dollar drop in my insurance today lol, idd be a happy camper man. well ill let u know what happens ill prolly fill up in 2 days from now
Old 02-08-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Regular

Listen to your belt tensioner. I mistook my noisy tensioner for down low pinging.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:47 PM

i am going to change my plugs again is there anything that i should look for when changing this, and also i am currently runing tr55's should i runs something different or what
Old 02-08-2006, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

i am runnin tr55's im gonna switch i got alot of misfires goin on and rough idle, i think im gonna go with acdelco or denso iridiums again
Old 02-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rgaynor85
ok i had a noise goin on im my car which i belive to be detonation i had it scaned with hp tuners and in fact i had some KR. so i cleaned the maf and it went almost completely away.

so figureing the car is new to me ive owned for about 2 months, lemme give it a tune up sense i dunno when it had one last. i did seafoam treatment,NGK tr55's gapped .055,msd wires,fuel filter, pcv valve, and RP 10w30 for oil change, but after my tune up this noise that disapeared came back full force. my previous plugs were denso iridiums, and they all had a light brown colored seemed just right.

so i cant figure out what the hell is goin on. i get ping/clanging noise down low below 1500rpms when i tap the gas and detonation ping noise above 4500 WOT. im am gettin down to my last nerve with this **** please someone gimme an idea what else could i check to get rid of detnation why could it be happening.

Heres a previous thread from before on this problem:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445950
I read someones post once that said something about washing your engine with a hhigh pressure washer and getting water into the knock sensor holes under the intake and causing an audible knocking noise.The fix was to replace the sensors and use RTV to build a little wall around the sensors to keep out the water.Check this out,I found an exert from the bulletin

"Some customers may comment on a mild to severe engine ping (commonly referred to as spark knock), usually worse during acceleration and/or an illuminated MIL. Upon investigation, the technician may find DTC P0332 set.
This condition may be the result of corrosion of the rear bank knock sensor due to water intrusion into the sensor cavity. This condition is more apparent on vehicles in which customers frequently wash the engine compartmentReplace the rear bank knock sensor and build a dam (wall) around the sensor using RTV to divert water away from the sensor"

Not sure if this your problem but it's something to look into.Good luck!
Old 02-08-2006, 05:08 PM

i talked to a guy at the chevy dealer and he said that there was nothing i can do but to run gas at like exxon and other stuff
Old 02-08-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

well exxon is the gas giving me problems so id avoid them sunocoand i think shell are realy good
Old 02-08-2006, 05:51 PM

ok well i a bought to get some i will up at shell