General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

German made Castrol Syntec 0w-30 question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 10:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I was guessing, I have enough of each for separate oil changes so I won't be mixing the two. If the gold is performing well, I guess I can stop stock piling it, right? They did have about 7 more quarts of the old stuff in the back, but I already have enough for 3 more changes with the green stuff, and 1 with gold. Is the gold going to be continually produced?
Old 04-28-2006, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Some of you guys sound like youre runnin around town looking for crack!!!!!!!!!! Man I guess I was was just lucky to get 346,000 miles out of my LS1 using plain old VALVOLINE 10-30. Good luck wearing those engines out looking for the green and gold polymers!!!!
Old 04-28-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WANARUNM
Some of you guys sound like youre runnin around town looking for crack!!!!!!!!!! Man I guess I was was just lucky to get 346,000 miles out of my LS1 using plain old VALVOLINE 10-30. Good luck wearing those engines out looking for the green and gold polymers!!!!

Old 05-15-2006, 05:38 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Hey Patman!

I fully appreciate your words regarding the use of the German Castrol. I had for about two years been using Lucas full synthetic with one quart of the Lucas synthetic stabilizer in all my cars. While I’m sure that’s a good combination, your testimony has led me to change to the GC which is easily found in any NYC Auto Zone. My question is, should I continue to use or not to continue to use one quart of the Lucas synthetic stabilizer with the GC?

Thanks!
Old 05-15-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Hey Patman!

I fully appreciate your words regarding the use of the German Castrol. I had for about two years been using Lucas full synthetic with one quart of the Lucas synthetic stabilizer in all my cars. While I’m sure that’s a good combination, your testimony has led me to change to the GC which is easily found in any NYC Auto Zone. My question is, should I continue to use or not to continue to use one quart of the Lucas synthetic stabilizer with the GC?

Thanks!
There is no need to use that stuff with GC, as GC works awesome on it's own!
Old 05-15-2006, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Patman
There is no need to use that stuff with GC, as GC works awesome on it's own!

I have also had good results with the GC Castrol Syntec 0w-30. Long live the elves.....
Old 05-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Launching!

Just put it in for the first time in my car today. I wont be putting any other oil in. I just have to stock pile now.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I made the change as well. I was down in New Orleans a week ago and needed a quart of oil. While browsing the selection at AutoZone, I came across the "European Formula" 0W30. I bought 8 quarts. When I got back up here, I went to my local AutoZone for a few things and told them that the store in NOLA had the oil I had been looking for. Then I found it in their store, but without the "European Formula" label. I'm guessing from previous posts that my local store has the old (green) formula and the stuff I bought down there is the new (gold) kind. Whatever it is, at least I now know that I can find it in this state.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by komik
I made the change as well. I was down in New Orleans a week ago and needed a quart of oil. While browsing the selection at AutoZone, I came across the "European Formula" 0W30. I bought 8 quarts. When I got back up here, I went to my local AutoZone for a few things and told them that the store in NOLA had the oil I had been looking for. Then I found it in their store, but without the "European Formula" label. I'm guessing from previous posts that my local store has the old (green) formula and the stuff I bought down there is the new (gold) kind. Whatever it is, at least I now know that I can find it in this state.

Guys, it must say "Made in Germany" on the back to be the stuff everyone talks about. The stuff that just says "European Frormula" may not be the stuff made in Germany. Some of that stuff is made in New Jersey. Just check the back and it if says "Made in Germany" then you have the right stuff. See post 1 to see the 2 types of bottles that say "Made in Germany".
Old 05-16-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

I've been using GC since Nov. of 05.......before that i was using mobil 1 supersyn 5w30, since using GC my mpg have went up 2, engine doesn't sound like a sewing machine (quieter), oil pressure has went up, oil seems cleaner after 3000mi then with Mobil1 5w30 & last but not least, seems to have more low end grunt and cooler engine temp......I am simply amazed with the stuff, All I know is if Patman says it's good then that's what i'm goin with I've read enough threads by him & the oil analysis have been tooo good to ignore ....GC or Mobil1 0w40 will be the only 2 i use with my ride. Thanx Patman & keep up the great info
Old 05-16-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
Guys, it must say "Made in Germany" on the back to be the stuff everyone talks about. The stuff that just says "European Frormula" may not be the stuff made in Germany. Some of that stuff is made in New Jersey. Just check the back and it if says "Made in Germany" then you have the right stuff. See post 1 to see the 2 types of bottles that say "Made in Germany".
Both the European Formula I bought and the other kind at my local store say Made in Germany. I didn't state that in my previous post since this thread is about German made Castrol, not Jersey made. I didn't know I needed to specify.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by komik
Both the European Formula I bought and the other kind at my local store say Made in Germany. I didn't state that in my previous post since this thread is about German made Castrol, not Jersey made. I didn't know I needed to specify.
A lot of folks just think because it says "European Formula" it is always the stuff made in Germany. A lot of folks also won't read though all 3 pages of this thread. Sorry for trying to help others make sure they get the right stuff.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

Is there any way to buy it online?
Old 05-18-2006, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fire-formula 93
Is there any way to buy it online?
Not that I could ever find and I did a lot of searches.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WANARUNM
Old 05-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a few questions about german castrol 0w-30:

i bought my LS1 a couple days ago and i have no idea what type of oil is in it right now, whether it's regular or synthetic. here are my Q's:

1.) just in case it's standard oil in there, should i do anything special in case i'm switching to synthetic? the car has under 26k miles.

2.) is there anywhere else to get this other than autozone?

3.) can you mix the green and gold stuff, and what are the codes for each again?

4.) how much is it per quart?

thanks for any answers i may get in advance
Old 05-23-2006, 11:27 AM
10 Second Club

There should be no problem going to the GC Synthetic. (At 26K its still an infant)
The only place I have seen it is at AutoZone and I have looked everywhere for it.
Yes you can mix the two together. The Gold formula is an updated version of the Green stuff. As long as it says "made in Germany" on the back of the bottle its the good stuff. Its really hard to find the Green anymore. The code #s on the bottom of the bottle should tell the color: If it starts with M4 it is most likely the Green formula,
the M5 would be the Gold formula. Either is very good and I would recommend making the change asap if it is available to you. BTW congrats on your new ride!! Have fun!!
Old 05-23-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i have a few questions about german castrol 0w-30:

i bought my LS1 a couple days ago and i have no idea what type of oil is in it right now, whether it's regular or synthetic. here are my Q's:

1.) just in case it's standard oil in there, should i do anything special in case i'm switching to synthetic? the car has under 26k miles.

2.) is there anywhere else to get this other than autozone?

3.) can you mix the green and gold stuff, and what are the codes for each again?

4.) how much is it per quart?

thanks for any answers i may get in advance
1.) No, just change your oil and use a good oil filter like K&N or Mobil 1.

2.) No, I've never found any store that sells the GC other than Autozone. Maybe the BMW or Porsche dealer but bend over and grab your ankles for that one.

3.) Yes. I have read different things about the numbering though. I have 2 different bottle types and both say M05 on the bottom and one is green and one is gold. Someone back on page 1 or 2 said it was the fourth digit that was the signifier of whether it was gold or green.

4.) My autozone was blowing it out for 3.69 per qt. but I think it is normally 5.19 per quart.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

As far as the switchover from green to gold, it happened right after M0501. I've got M0501 bottles which are green, but then with M0502 it switched over to the gold formula. All M03s and M04s are the green formula. I've yet to see or hear of any M06 batches yet.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

ive switched to GC as of patmans recomendation and im a beliver in the stuff its great runs awsome in my LS1 and my GF's supercharged L67 v6, i hae the green stuff in mine and she got the gold both seem to be amazing

Quick Reply: German made Castrol Syntec 0w-30 question