General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Why is FRAM oil filter so bad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from fram oil filter to mobil 1 motor oil filters and my oil pressure went up when i switched. And what funny is once im near to 3000 miles oil change i notice my oil pressure a little bit low then once i put in new oil and a new motor oil filter the pressure goes up to 40, i recommend mobil 1 filters pricy but worth it, imo.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had 2 fram air filters fail on me. The fabric broke apart and in one of those time it took out my MAF sensor and it cost me $600 for the tow, the repair and an urelated repair I made because the problem was misdiagnosed.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From 2002? Ha!... This has to be the oldest consistant thread on this site.....

(Mobil 1 or Bosch filters > Fram)
Old 09-16-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Just changed my Oil & Filter from Fram To Purolator. Has little more Oil Pressure.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Someone local up here put a fram on their truck and thought the motor was fucked and come to find out if I remember he said the inside of the filter collapsed and dropped his oil pressure ~20-30psi
Old 09-16-2008, 05:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

After reading this, I changed mine back from Pennzoil (FRAM) to K&N (which is the same as the Mobil 1). I figured getting the oil changed at Jiffy Lube just once couldn't hurt... Right? WRONG...

p.s. they screwed on the drain plug and Pennzoil filter way too tight. bastards.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Witnessed the death of an engine due to a fram oil filter. First start up, had a high volume oil pump. It started fine, idled ok, oil pressure was good then was shut down. 2nd start after that, the oil pressure was 0 at start up but no one thought to check it again the 2nd startup . Didn't know it until the engine SEIZED while everyone was busy congratulating on a well done job lol.

Parts fused together along the valvetrain and crank. It was a disgusting tear down. Found out why. Filter had collapsed and was pushed into the engine in pieces. Some areas got no oil and eventually the whole media collapsed and cut off oil completely. I know the owner went to court with fram and settled out... but man it was a sight to see.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Virginia
Put fram filter on about 2 weeks noticed a bit of a oil leak went to go for a drive did not notice all the oil in my driveway it was dark needless to say only got so far and my oil pressure dropped to nothing had to get a tow next day went to see what the problem was and the rubber on the filter was sticking through thats where the you came out took off the filter and the rubber fell off went and got a more better filter so far so good almost cost me a new motor i have a 302hp just put alot of money into it i almost cried.Thanks Fram
Wow, the post from 2002 LIVES!
Old 10-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Default fram oil filter problem

here is another reason to stay away from fram filters- car- 2010 Subaru Tribeca- I put on a Fram filter and used mobil 1 (5 W -30) oil. After about 400 miles began to smell burned oil. Got under car and saw oil dripping from underbody cover- Opened same and noticed oil coming from the outer end of the filter. ( In the black crinkle painted area.) I removed the filter and found a pinhole in the outer canister. Also the anti drain back valve was torn. I put a Car Quest filter on and added 2 qts of oil that had been lost. When I restarted car I immediately noticed the engine seemed much quieter than it had been. I guess I,m lucky I was not driving at 60 MPH on an expresway , as I probably would have lost the engine. Pls note the fram filter was not put on using any tool that could have punctured the canister. BOTTOM LINE- I WILL NEVER EVER BUY A FRAM FILTER AGAIN.

Last edited by fortyselcam; 10-29-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-03-2011, 09:14 AM

Huh...my family and I have always used fram...and my dad was a truck mechanic...
I use one in my 1992 K1500 w350 v8 and I use that truck HARD, redline hill climbs....4x4 donuts....fram has never given me any issues...
Im gonna put a 6.0 in her, perhaps I'll go with something better.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

For the same $ we can do better than Fram for our cars.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Seeing as this is living on! I have to admit that I am using the Fram TG filters I believe. They are the middle level grey filter. In one of these reports where the guy tests ALL the filters out there etc. He said this filter was just as good as the K&N and Mobil etc. ONLY this one by fram. I have not had any issues. I may try a Wix or Purolator at some point just for oil pressure. I believe in that same report he mentioned that Delco filters are NOT good anymore. But I could be wrong.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

The Basic Fram is crap but there tough guard is really good useing them for year's on my camaros and truck.

http://fram.com/products/oil_filters...ard_oil_filter
Old 11-03-2011, 06:49 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Wix 51522

Best there is, w/o paying the M1 / K&N price.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:09 AM

Wait a sec...fram sucks but their tough gaurd is good? Impossible.
If fram sucks, then the tough gaurd they make simply cannot be good. If their tough gaurd is good, then fram can't suck.
I suppose their basic filter wouldn't be a good choice in a performance application...thats like using gas station brand oil, just doesn't make sense.
I always use the tough gaurd..because I generally put my engines through their paces and I like havin alittle peice of mind..
Im gonna have to spend some serious time looking at facts provided by some independant sources, hate to give up my long time filter, heck whenever bs'n with the guys I always said that fram was great, and its all we run on our cars, trucks, tractors etc etc..

On the other hand, Im not about to blindly continue to use them without some info, Im not waiting until I get burnt by filter failure or engine damage to switch, Im takin the high road.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
Seeing as this is living on! I have to admit that I am using the Fram TG filters I believe. They are the middle level grey filter. In one of these reports where the guy tests ALL the filters out there etc. He said this filter was just as good as the K&N and Mobil etc. ONLY this one by fram. I have not had any issues. I may try a Wix or Purolator at some point just for oil pressure. I believe in that same report he mentioned that Delco filters are NOT good anymore. But I could be wrong.
The only test I saw that recommended a Fram was actually the GM Truck site one that listed the Fram Xtended Guard as a recommended buy. In fact it actually had the highest score.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articl...gradesheet.htm

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articl...lterstudy.html
Old 11-05-2011, 01:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The new delco's are crap. If you look in them they are now running an exposed filter type

I would trust a Fram oil filter if it was mounted vertically on a motor like the ls1 is. Anything mounted horizontally are prone to the rubber valve seal failure
Old 11-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Teching In

I just bought my camaro last saturday, went to change the oil yesterday and the previous owner had a fram filter on there...... i nearly had a heart attack. it now has M1 5w30 and an M1 filter
Old 11-06-2011, 04:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Panterror
I just bought my camaro last saturday, went to change the oil yesterday and the previous owner had a fram filter on there...... i nearly had a heart attack. it now has M1 5w30 and an M1 filter
Found and did the same thing when I got my 06 GTO 4-5 months ago (found a Fram Xtendedguard, and now using a M1 oil filter when I changed the oil).
Old 11-06-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, it's been 6 years since my last post on this thread and I still don't use Fram. I use Wix, Bosch, Purolator, Mobil 1. K&N is good, but I feel it's over priced. I've used Amsoil as well, great filter but expensive. Also, supposedly they had problems with some of their smaller filters.

The best filter to date I've seen and used is Royal Purple. It's made by Champion Labs, and that thing is a TANK. It has a really thick wall and it uses 100% fiberglass media. I'm not really a fan of their oils, but their filter is outstanding.

Quick Reply: Why is FRAM oil filter so bad?