General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Seafoamed my car the other day

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoamed my car the other day

I know this topic has been beat to death but I finally got around to doing a Seafoam treatment to my car the other day. I followed instructions given in some posts I searched for and they were basically the same instructions that were listed on the can. I poured 1/3 of the can slowly down my brake booster line while my brother kept the revs at 1500. I poured another 1/2 a can into the oil and let the car sit 15 minutes. Upon start-up there was some smoke, but not as much as I was expecting. I immediately went for a spirited drive expecting to fog up the neighborhood but there was hardly any smoke coming out at all. Does this mean my intake and combustion chambers weren't that carboned up? The oil has always been synthetic, could this make a difference? I also used the Seafoam Deep Creep to clean out my throttle body. The engine noticeably idles a little smoother and throttle response seems a little quicker. I am gonna change plugs and oil during the week. Just thought I'd share.
P.S. What are the stock replacement spark plugs?
Old 05-23-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The car comes with A/C delco's. Save your self some money and get NGK's tr55, they are a great pulg and cheap price.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stock SS
I know this topic has been beat to death but I finally got around to doing a Seafoam treatment to my car the other day. I followed instructions given in some posts I searched for and they were basically the same instructions that were listed on the can. I poured 1/3 of the can slowly down my brake booster line while my brother kept the revs at 1500. I poured another 1/2 a can into the oil and let the car sit 15 minutes. Upon start-up there was some smoke, but not as much as I was expecting. I immediately went for a spirited drive expecting to fog up the neighborhood but there was hardly any smoke coming out at all. Does this mean my intake and combustion chambers weren't that carboned up? The oil has always been synthetic, could this make a difference? I also used the Seafoam Deep Creep to clean out my throttle body. The engine noticeably idles a little smoother and throttle response seems a little quicker. I am gonna change plugs and oil during the week. Just thought I'd share.
P.S. What are the stock replacement spark plugs?
Sounds like your engine wasn't too dirty. The more smoke you get, the more carbon buildup and such was in the engine. So chances are yours was pretty clean, most of the smoke you saw was probably just the seafoam itself burning off
Old 05-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stock SS
I poured another 1/2 a can into the oil and let the car sit 15 minutes.
YARG! i can't stress this enough, NEVER DO THAT AGAIN! never, EVER, EVER pour seafoam into your crank case after your car has been running. think about what you're doing. you're pouring 65 degree seafoam into your oil that is 200 degrees. you shock your valve springs and they can become very brittle. i'm not trying to scare you, nothing may happen, but your springs may fail prematurely because of this.

again, i'm not trying to scare you, i'm trying to warn you and scare the people that haven't done this yet. i did that to my 3.4L a few months ago. nothing scarier than hissing inside the crankcase and the crackling of metal i couldn't believe i could be so careless. good thing i traded in the car a few weeks ago. i never experienced any problems, but the LS1 puts a helluva lot more stress on the springs than my old 160hp one-wheel-wonder ever could. please, be careful next time. seafoam is good to run in your oil every now and again, but do it after the car has been sitting overnight and is nice and cold.

and just for the record, when i cleaned my top end of my 3.4L (engine had over 75k on it), i blew so much blue smoke, i stopped traffic on the pike. i blew a cloud for a quarter mile so thick it was like london fog. picked up 1-2mpg, not a bad deal for 5 bucks a can@advance.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=ChocoTaco369]YARG! i can't stress this enough, NEVER DO THAT AGAIN! never, EVER, EVER pour seafoam into your crank case after your car has been running. think about what you're doing. you're pouring 65 degree seafoam into your oil that is 200 degrees. you shock your valve springs [QUOTE]

Yeah. but when you pour tap water into boiling water you get warm water. The oil should immedeatly warm the seafoam. When you change your oil, you pour 65 degree oil in your crankcase.?.? You would have to be a Metalurgists to determine what woul "shock" a valve spring. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:55 AM
Teching In

[QUOTE=ChocoTaco369]YARG! i can't stress this enough, NEVER DO THAT AGAIN! never, EVER, EVER pour seafoam into your crank case after your car has been running. think about what you're doing. you're pouring 65 degree seafoam into your oil that is 200 degrees. you shock your valve springs and they can become very brittle. i'm not trying to scare you, nothing may happen, but your springs may fail prematurely because of this.

I put the Seafoam into the crankcase after the car was off for about 10 minutes (right after I finished cleaning the throttle body) Besides, isn't the same thing essentially happening when you get an oil change? Old hot oil comes out, new cool oil goes in? (Unless you have to wait an hour for your 10 minute oil change)
Old 05-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Tech Resident

when i do an oil change, i let the oil drain for half an hour so it'll cool. just be careful, you never know. why risk it? next time pour it in after it's been off for a few hours. better safe than sorry
Old 05-24-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
when i do an oil change, i let the oil drain for half an hour so it'll cool. just be careful, you never know. why risk it? next time pour it in after it's been off for a few hours. better safe than sorry
hot engine, cold engine, ive never even heard of an engine related failure due to putting room temp oil in a hot engine

just a *little* bit paranoid methinks.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

Mine didn't smoke that much either when I did it at 60K miles.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

at 30,000 i poured an entire can of seafoam into my other car and it smoked a ton i think the trick is to pour in the entire can not just part of it. just my .02
Old 05-24-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

yeah did mine at 60k miles on my LS1 and i got nuttin more than a little quick poof when it first turned over it didnt make more than a fog u get on a cold morning start for like 2 secs. now my little 3.3 v6 oldsmosbile made a cloud for about 15mins my neigbors started comin to see what happened and then it still smoked for 10 mins of driving that ****** was nasty dirty. ls1's are just clean runnin motors
Old 05-24-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by waiting2bl33d
at 30,000 i poured an entire can of seafoam into my other car and it smoked a ton i think the trick is to pour in the entire can not just part of it. just my .02

no i believe that is horribly wrong if u use to much u can cause internal engine damage i believe it says on the website. 1/3 is fine if it wasnt good anout go do it again in 100 miles again
Old 05-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by rgaynor85
ls1's are just clean runnin motors
i think it's because of the type of oil we use in LS1's. in LS1's we use 5w-30 and, even 0w in some cases, synthetic oil. that leaves little mess. in older cars like your olds and my old 3.4L firebird, we used standard 10w-30, non-synthetic. that leaves for a lotta mess, especially after 76,000 miles which was when i seafoamed it. woo, what a mess! it looked REAL good blowing blue smoke for a quarter mile riding out of my buddy's dad's shop. i hope i didn't cost him any business
Old 05-29-2006, 04:27 PM
Teching In

I am about to do it to my 98z28 110000miles on it this should be very interesting.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wish seafoam was available in Canada. I could however order it online.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hi Folks
I did my 97 Z-28, 112K miles and it smoked like a chimney it could have been used a smoke screen. I used the full can but it started to smoke after about 1/3 can. I did notice something; I had smoke coming from the back the engine. I at first I thought is was traveling under the car from the exhaust but I was wrong. I need to investigate it.
Bill
Old 05-29-2006, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Alpha-Q
I wish seafoam was available in Canada. I could however order it online.
Just use the GM Top Engine Cleaner, it's best stuff on the market anyway.

However, most people just use the brake booster line because it's easier. I'd highly recommend using the pcv line..it cleans more. I got WAAAY more smoke doing it that way than using the booster line.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^Thanks man, i'll look into that.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:14 AM
Teching In

I agree with with FROSTY, GM's top engine cleaner is excellent. We use it at the shop at work and you don't dare leave it on top of your tool box because it'll go "missing" in the blink of an eye . However be sure that the vehicle is in a well ventilated area, it'll put out an insane amount of smoke.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Addict

is GM top end cleaner cheaper than seafoam or the same price?? and do you get it from the dealership??