14.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Which Oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
what do you mean more noise than ever? when? at startup? you realize engine noise has nothing to do with engine wear, right? you could very well be making a bit more noise but wearing a lot less. do an oil analysis. you can't judge an oil without a UOA. mobil 1 30 weights are junk, and if you're going to use that, expect your engine to wear a lot more than with GC.
Not at startup but when it is at running temps. Do YOU realize I have had this car since it was new and when I hear more noise BECAUSE OF THIS OIL makes me not want to use the oil again. I NEVER used 30 wt M1, I have no idea where you pulled that out of.
and don't talk down to me like you are some kind of God or something
Old 01-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6dude
Not at startup but when it is at running temps. Do YOU realize I have had this car since it was new and when I hear more noise BECAUSE OF THIS OIL makes me not want to use the oil again. I NEVER used 30 wt M1, I have no idea where you pulled that out of.
and don't talk down to me like you are some kind of God or something
i'm not talking anyone down. i'm just simply stating that an increase in valvetrain noise on an engine historically known to have a loud valvetrain doesn't mean it's wearing more. most people "hear" that their engine is louder when switching oil because they're actually listening for it. get your oil analyzed before you jump to any conclusions. my guess is you're getting so defensive because you know you're grossly overreacting.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

i'm not talking anyone down. i'm just simply stating that an increase in valvetrain noise on an engine historically known to have a loud valvetrain doesn't mean it's wearing more. most people "hear" that their engine is louder when switching oil because they're actually listening for it. get your oil analyzed before you jump to any conclusions. my guess is you're getting so defensive because you know you're grossly overreacting.
Whatever . I have listened to my engine since 2001 when I bought the car. I have been on these boards faithfully for years, I just don't post much. Then I do post and get this uneducated banter from you? Where do you come up with this crap? Stop assuming what I do, it is very ignorant to state what you think somebody else is doing when you haven't a clue
Old 01-04-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

anyone try that mobil one extended performance?
Old 01-04-2007, 10:19 PM
Tech Resident

Whatever . I have listened to my engine since 2001 when I bought the car. I have been on these boards faithfully for years, I just don't post much. Then I do post and get this uneducated banter from you? Where do you come up with this crap? Stop assuming what I do, it is very ignorant to state what you think somebody else is doing when you haven't a clue
so...my post is uneducated, yet you're making conclusions based on nothing. do you see the irony here? i'm telling you to get a UOA before you count any oil out so you can make an educated guess. you're basing your opinion off valvetrain noise on a car with a historically loud valvetrain. you're the one making uneducated banter. you wanna find out what oil is best for you? TEST IT. don't assume - which is also ironic, since your decisions are assumptions.

so, in short, you're the one making uneducated decisions and you're the one assuming. does that make you a hypocrite? get it tested. i'm doing my next batch of GC
Old 01-05-2007, 01:26 AM
On The Tree

so...my post is uneducated, yet you're making conclusions based on nothing. do you see the irony here? i'm telling you to get a UOA before you count any oil out so you can make an educated guess. you're basing your opinion off valvetrain noise on a car with a historically loud valvetrain. you're the one making uneducated banter. you wanna find out what oil is best for you? TEST IT. don't assume - which is also ironic, since your decisions are assumptions.

so, in short, you're the one making uneducated decisions and you're the one assuming. does that make you a hypocrite? get it tested. i'm doing my next batch of GC
I am changing oils. I will go back to M1 0W40 in which I have used since I bought the car. You can use whatever you want but don't read a post and jump to a conclusion of what weight of oil they are using, they are imagining the increase in noise and all the other drivel you have spewed in this thread.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:19 AM
Tech Resident

I am changing oils. I will go back to M1 0W40 in which I have used since I bought the car. You can use whatever you want but don't read a post and jump to a conclusion of what weight of oil they are using, they are imagining the increase in noise and all the other drivel you have spewed in this thread.
i never said you were using a 30 weight mobil 1 oil. i said i hope you aren't, as it would be a huge mistake to go from GC to one of the worst synthetics you can put in your engine. mobil 1 0W-40 is better than their 30 weights. however, 5W-40 for turbo diesel's is even better. i'm going to run that the next oil change. the mobil 1 5W-40 is about half the weight of GC 0W-30 though. i picked up a quart of GC and compared it to the mobil 1. the mobil 1 is so much lighter. not sure how good that is. we'll find out - i'm getting them both analyzed. i suggest you do the same for the GC. GC sometimes makes more noise because it's such a heavy oil, but it shows EXCELLENT wear results. sometimes extra valvetrain noise is worth it if the wear numbers improve. you need to understand this.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im running castol syntec 5w-40. its pretty damn good. i just wanted to say thanks to patman for recommending it. i havent had any oil consumption at all. i tried to add oil a week ago, and the $hit was still full... so i blew 6 bucks for nothing..lol.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mobil 1 here, Ive always used it in ALL of my performance cars without problems!
Old 03-29-2007, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Shatterz
If 5W-30 is way too thin for the LS1 then why does GM recommend it in the owners manual ?

I'd say Mobil 1 5W-30 is your best bet
it recommends it if your in a colder climate, 10w 30 in a hotter climate, i dont know why people change, do it like it says in the manual
Old 05-04-2007, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in new england what would be a good choice for me in the summer and winters and a good oil that will quiet down that ticking sound that ls1's are known for.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by FenixSS
Sup fellas, recently hit 45k on the odometer. I'm going to do the recommended maintanence, but I'm considering changing oils. I've tried for a while to obtain the German Castrol, but it just isn't available in Hawaii, and I have tried buying from members here, but shipping pretty much makes it ridiculous. So, here are my options:

Stay with Mobil1 5w-30
Switch to Mobil1 0w-40
Switch to Redline 5w-30 or 0w-40
Switch to Royal Purple 5w-30 or 0w-40
Switch to Amsoil 5w-30 or 0w-40

I'm actually leaning more towards 0w-40 since temps here hardly drop below 70 degrees, but let me know what you think.
I've come to the conclusion that using synthetic oil is, well, BS. Its a way to get more money for a different type of oil. I have about 75,000 miles on my 436ci stroker, using basic non-synthetic oil. My engine has all its original parts and the oil pressure is still close to 60 psi on cold start-up and no matter how much driving I do, aggressive or casual, without A/C it NEVER falls below 42 psi. The only way it will go below 42 psi is if I'm sitting in 95* weather down here in Florida in stop and go traffic for an hour. And then it'll only go down to about 35 psi. The engine runs 100% free of ticking, slapping or any kind of irritating noises too.

Synthetic oil is a waste of money IMO, and my opinion comes with a very high mileage stroker engine to back it up that still runs like the day I first started it up. The oil I burn is normal and has to do with my stroke length and ring set, has nothing to do with the oil used.

Quick Reply: Which Oil