General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

And then I noticed the little door.........

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Default And then I noticed the little door.........

Saw that my right front turn signal/ parking light was out. Zipped into auto zone, picked up a new bulb and headed for home.
Popped open the hood and took a look.
Hmmmm.......
Tried to snake my big ss hand down thru the bracketry. Not a chance. Couldn't even touch the damn thing.
"This could be trickey", I said to myself.
Checked the time, still 6 hours of daylight left.
Just in case though, I brought out my portable light tree.
Took another look around.
Wondered which would be easier, pull the radiator and all the supporting bracketry, or jerk off the front clip.
"Better be ready for anything", I told myself.
Got out my air tool's, fired up the compressor, checked to make sure the ol' arc welder still worked.
Scratched my chin for a second. Went next door and borrowed my friend's cutting torch just in case I had to notch the frame for clearence.
Put on my coverall's, got my goggle's. Sat down by the right front tire and put on my boot's.
And then I noticed the little access door for changing said lamp.
Thank you dear lord.

Last edited by dannyz; 06-29-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is one good story man! If you've ever felt like you have to take the whole car apart to do the most simplest thing.... try owning a ford!
Old 06-29-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish they had little doors to change 93-97 Camaro foglights
Old 06-29-2006, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

lmao...that's great man. i needed a story like that
Old 06-29-2006, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Where is this such said door? I pulled out whats left of my hair trying to figure out how to change that damn bulb!!
Old 06-30-2006, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

Oh...thats the best. Same thing happened to me.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jkichline
That is one good story man! If you've ever felt like you have to take the whole car apart to do the most simplest thing.... try owning a ford!
Or a Volkswagen. My gf has an 02 New Beetle that is IMPOSSIBLE to work on. I swear they hooked up with Ford's engineers and had a secret meeting with an agenda something like this:

Items for discussion

1. Develop and share designs focused on thwarting every shade tree mechanic in the U.S.

2. Where to put the air cleaner? The benefits of locating an airbox between the block and the firewall.

3. Etc.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

where is this mystery door??? mu light burnt out twice, so i jam my hand into the turn signal/parking lamp air damn/hold under neath it, and wrap my hand up into it. Like you have the turn signal, then below it is an opening in the front bumper, so i put my hand there. where is this door? take a picture tht would be clutch...
Old 06-30-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Near the edge of the bumper cover, directly under the foglamps are two 10mm bolts. Remove those and pull down on the outside edge of the flap. Be ready for junk to fall on your face.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WayneSS01
Near the edge of the bumper cover, directly under the foglamps are two 10mm bolts. Remove those and pull down on the outside edge of the flap. Be ready for junk to fall on your face.
Hahaha...well I'll be damned! Thanks!
Old 06-30-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL... ...cars are a bundle of fun...
Old 02-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

arghhh... I just had to change mine out. So it's been like 3 weeks, I got the bulb the day I noticed it burned out. However, I searched on here to find out how easy/hard it was to do.. Notice, it was 3 weeks ago... So I tried this sunday, I went to work, 10 mm socket, check.. cheapy wrench from walmart, check, oops broken.. now i'm stuck. I just recently moved, and have no idea where most of my tools are, spend 35 mins looking for socket set... never find it, call friend, he comes over.. bolts rusted shut, go to store get PB blast, start again tomorrow. This is where I am, today, get out the pb blast, and shoot it, get the bolts off, open trick door, and get ready to pull out light bulb.. can't figure out what the heck to do. So I come back on here, find this thread and go.. hmmm, so then I crawl completely under the car, I sometimes have clousterphobia, not this time, because I'm mad and my arm is bleeding from going under the car and under the light assembly. I see oh, all i have to do is twist this way, I was looking for a tab release thing. After twisting with both hands finally comes free. Then 2 minutes later I'm good. So basically all in all, 3 weeks work really took only 5-10 minutes, plus I was doing all of this by myself with a flash light in one hand.. It would help to have jacked up the car.. Of course now, i have one orange bulb and one white one....for now... I think I'm going both white
Old 02-12-2007, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

for me changing those bulbs is not that bad, I can manage to get my hand through the lower air dam pretty easy... Fog light on the other hand is a pain in the butt
Old 02-12-2007, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

the lt1 fog lights are such a PITA...im just gonna remove em when i get a billet grille
Old 02-12-2007, 07:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

The real fun begins when you try to put the bulb back in the housing and it falls out of the socket. It took me a half hour to fish it back out. I had to get real crafty since it slid over to the far end of the housing. I ended up pulling in and out of my parking spot, making the turn real hard to get it where I can get it to the tips of my fingers. It was fun, thanks G.M. . I guess it could have been worse, I could own a ford. Come to think of it I hated changing them in my 3rd gen bird too.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ohhh you must be a writer
Old 02-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dannyz
Saw that my right front turn signal/ parking light was out. Zipped into auto zone, picked up a new bulb and headed for home.
Popped open the hood and took a look.
Hmmmm.......
Tried to snake my big ss hand down thru the bracketry. Not a chance. Couldn't even touch the damn thing.
"This could be trickey", I said to myself.
Checked the time, still 6 hours of daylight left.
Just in case though, I brought out my portable light tree.
Took another look around.
Wondered which would be easier, pull the radiator and all the supporting bracketry, or jerk off the front clip.
"Better be ready for anything", I told myself.
Got out my air tool's, fired up the compressor, checked to make sure the ol' arc welder still worked.
Scratched my chin for a second. Went next door and borrowed my friend's cutting torch just in case I had to notch the frame for clearence.
Put on my coverall's, got my goggle's. Sat down by the right front tire and put on my boot's.
And then I noticed the little access door for changing said lamp.
Thank you dear lord.

That was some GOOD **** there.....LMAO...
Old 02-12-2007, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Has anyone tryed removing the head light like I do? Takes like 5 min, 2 bolts on top
Old 02-13-2007, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was just thinking, I wonder how hard it would be to replace this on a formula?
Old 02-13-2007, 11:42 AM
ino
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I replaced mine but cant remember how I did it.