TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

He is a video of how much smoke can be produced by Seafoam,

http://www.videoshack.us/video/31a0b...ecf206246.html
Old 07-05-2006, 09:06 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by not_my_z
I've read that changing your fuel filter after seafoaming is a must... do you agree?
(I think the argument was that it would dislodge stuff in the gas tank...)
it likely would not be a bad idea. a complete seafoaming is NOT something i would do every few thousand miles. seafoam recommends i believe every 5,000 - 10,000 but i wouldn't go that often because of the chance of fouling plugs or clogging the filter, even if it is unlikely. i would recommend a seafoam before you go do a tuneup (fuel filter, trans fluid/filter flush, new plugs/wires...you know, the ~50,000 mile maintanence job). i just put some in my oil the very first oil change after i bought the car since i went GC 0w-30 per patman's recommendation and i had no clue what oil was in it before so i wanted to give it a nice flush (came out black as tar, new oil has 2k on it and still clean and amber). i will be seafoaming completely when i do headers next year since new plugs and wires will be going in

maybe if you guys keep pushing hard enough some mods will sticky this
Old 07-06-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant wait to do this. Thanks for the write up ChocoTaco, and i think it should definitely be a sticky.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just seafoamed mine and so much smoke came out traffic behind me stopped and had to wait to proceed, it was awesome, 126k miles...
Old 07-06-2006, 01:42 AM
TECH Regular

I did this to my 90,000 mile '98 T/A and it smoked pretty good... but I did it to my 160,000 '98 Jeep Wrangler, and I think it created another hole in the ozone layer, or maybe 2. It smoked in other words. ALOT.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

I've heard a lot of people sing the praises of Seafoam, but I have one question...

I know that throttle body cleaners can be harsh on valve seals. It is capable of "drying" them out, so to speak. This leads to them leaking as time goes on. What makes Seafoam different from leading cleaners, so that it doesn't have this effect? I would really like to use it, but don't want to harm anything. Please, don't tell me to just use it, and it will be ok; tell me why it will be ok.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

I vote for a sticky, great writeup
Old 07-06-2006, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

if plugs do fail, will all of them likely be failed or is it possible/common for just a few. how does the fouled plug look and are some cylinders more likely to experience the problem? i am debating removing the injectors and sending them off for cleaning or spending a couple of bucks on seafoam and possibly plugs, still cheaper.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:31 PM
12 Second Club

great write-up! i just sea-foamed my 95 camaro today and it sure did smoke, i changed my spark plugs later tonight and to my surprise they were not fouled, but still in great condition, but i figured i would change them anyway. definetly noticed smoother acceleration and idle. i recommend this to anyone, but as said before it is only need probably every 10,000-20,000 miles.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by _JB_
He is a video of how much smoke can be produced by Seafoam,

http://www.videoshack.us/video/31a0b...ecf206246.html

Old 07-08-2006, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

Im going to give it a try tomorrow. Lets see how it goes.
-Ivan
Old 07-08-2006, 12:19 AM
TECH Resident

i just did a full treatment on my 00 Trans Am w/ 96k on it and it smoked quite a but now it runs great. I followed the write up step by step and had no problems. Awesome job!
Old 07-08-2006, 12:31 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by mwill15
I've heard a lot of people sing the praises of Seafoam, but I have one question...

I know that throttle body cleaners can be harsh on valve seals. It is capable of "drying" them out, so to speak. This leads to them leaking as time goes on. What makes Seafoam different from leading cleaners, so that it doesn't have this effect? I would really like to use it, but don't want to harm anything. Please, don't tell me to just use it, and it will be ok; tell me why it will be ok.
okay, i'll answer this as best i can for i have never used the seafoam deep creep. i do, however, know how to use it as i have read multiple tutorials on it so i figured i'd add it in.

will deep creep hurt your valve seals? i have no idea. all i know is, they couldn't possibly sell a product that would wreak havoc on your car and maintain the fabulous reputation the seafoam name has. it's made to clean your throttle body. it has to work. i just would not recommend doing this all the time. maybe every 20,000 miles or such. the few occasional treatments will be harmless. if you're doing this every 500 miles i could foresee a problem. if you do it every half a dozen oil changes, i forsee no issues.

what makes seafoam better than the leading cleaners? well, a few reasons:

1.) it's 100% pure petroleum. it's harmless to the engine.
2.) it's multipurpose. it cleans your cylinders, your oil AND your injectors. what other products are so multifunctional?
3.) it's only 5 bucks! i used to use chevron techron for my injectors (ran it in the gas tank). it was like 8 dollars...and seafoam is just as good if not better! plus, the techron was only good for injector cleaning. you can't put that stuff in your oil or engine!

like i said, it won't harm anything because it's pure petroleum. every time you fill up your car with gasoline you're getting impure petroleum in your engine. gasoline is dirty. it's why your oil gets black and dirty. it's why your exhaust tips get carbon deposits inside. it's why your cylinder banks clog and your pistons get coated with carbon causing your compression to spike and pinging to develop. seafoam is way purer than this. it cleans that gunk out.

as long as you follow the instructions you'll be fine.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by SaudeKeep
if plugs do fail, will all of them likely be failed or is it possible/common for just a few. how does the fouled plug look and are some cylinders more likely to experience the problem? i am debating removing the injectors and sending them off for cleaning or spending a couple of bucks on seafoam and possibly plugs, still cheaper.
i can't answer this. anything can happen. there are no guarantees in life. i can, however, tell you it is unlikely as long as you use seafoam responsibly. what does this mean? don't pour 2 cans of the stuff in your cylinders! half is all you need. don't do this every thousand miles either! do it every, say, 10,000 - 20,000 miles. i've never had a spark plug problem. if your spark plugs go, the seafoam was just the straw that broke the camel's back. that means your spark plugs were screwed anyway.

what i can tell you is if you're planning to change your plugs soon, seafoam it before you change your plugs. no use taking a chance. honestly though, as long as you follow my directions and don't do anything silly, you should be fine.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:47 AM
Launching!

Excellent write up!! AAA+++ definatly should be a sticky
Old 07-08-2006, 12:51 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by tbick
great write-up! i just sea-foamed my 95 camaro today and it sure did smoke, i changed my spark plugs later tonight and to my surprise they were not fouled, but still in great condition, but i figured i would change them anyway. definetly noticed smoother acceleration and idle. i recommend this to anyone, but as said before it is only need probably every 10,000-20,000 miles.
Originally Posted by DropTopBird
i just did a full treatment on my 00 Trans Am w/ 96k on it and it smoked quite a but now it runs great. I followed the write up step by step and had no problems. Awesome job!
glad to hear it. let us know if you see any positive results (more power, better fuel mpg, better idle quality...). i hope i started a new fad seafoam is something everyone should be familiar with and do a few times.

any questions, PM me. that goes for everyone. i'll do the best i can to help you.
Old 07-08-2006, 01:17 AM
TECH Resident

My engine is deff running a lot smoother now and the cars got a much better feel to it. There is just one thats happened thats odd, but not necessarily bad. Whenever I start the car theres a weird noise that sounds like somethings resonating coming from the car (cant really tell where). Thats the best way I can describe it. Any thoughts?

Btw has anyone heard of or used Seafoam Trans Tune transmission flush?
Old 07-08-2006, 01:22 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
My engine is deff running a lot smoother now and the cars got a much better feel to it. There is just one thats happened thats odd, but not necessarily bad. Whenever I start the car theres a weird noise that sounds like somethings resonating coming from the car (cant really tell where). Thats the best way I can describe it. Any thoughts?

Btw has anyone heard of or used Seafoam Trans Tune transmission flush?
no idea what the resonance can be, i'd have to hear it just to even make a guess

as for the trans flush, i've never heard of it. i'd be very hesitant to use a trans flush. transmissions don't see dirt/grime/carbon buildup like an engine does. because of that, i don't see the point of flushing a transmission. the only reason i could ever see you requiring a transmission flush is if your fluid is brown or burnt, and in that case, you probably need a new tranny anyway

but i could be wrong. maybe someone's had good results? i dunno, i'd just be nervous, what with a 4L60E and all
Old 07-08-2006, 01:51 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah I know what you mean about being cautious and with the trans. Im going to be helping my buddy Seafoam his car (95 camaro, should be like a smoke bomb!) and he said he might try it out so if he does Ill let you guys know how it worked out.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Any thoughts on doing this to a 23K-mile car (that has never before been Seafoamed)? Good idea or waste of time and money at this point?

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car