General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Seafoam Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:33 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gmmusclecarman
would it be ok to do it all at once? Like put some in the gas and oil at the same time then maybe this weekend put it into the vacuum line and use the throttle body cleaner. I dont want to over do it.
You can do the steps all in one sitting or you can spread them out. Your car won't know the difference. I recommend to do them all at once so the effect of the Seafoam is compounded. That way, you will feel the greatest effect possible so you know the stuff works. As far as the car is concerned, it couldn't care less if you do them all over the course of an hour or spread them out over days or weeks.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a hypothetical:

What would be the downside of putting in a can of Seafoam with, say, a quarter or eighth of a tank of gas, rather than a full tank. The concentration of seafoam going through the injectors would be greater, and thus, wouldn't it act as a more potent solvent of all the injector gunk?
Old 03-28-2008, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lincolnmkv
Here's a hypothetical:

What would be the downside of putting in a can of Seafoam with, say, a quarter or eighth of a tank of gas, rather than a full tank. The concentration of seafoam going through the injectors would be greater, and thus, wouldn't it act as a more potent solvent of all the injector gunk?
The can says on it that it treats 8-25 gallons. I'm guessing they put 8 gallons as the minimum for a reason. It would be a MF'er if you put it in with 3 or 4 gallons and damaged something because the seafoam wasn't properly diluted.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

it's like cooking a pork loin at 500F vs 250F. One may be quicker and more potent but tastes like ****, while the other one takes a while but is moist and has flavor. Do it right.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rhedalert
it's like cooking a pork loin at 500F vs 250F. One may be quicker and more potent but tastes like ****, while the other one takes a while but is moist and has flavor. Do it right.
Your analogy doesn't explain why a more concentrated seafoam application would "taste like ****." I'm not arguing with you about how to cook a pig, but what evidence do you have that the same logic applies to both cooking and injector cleaning?

I'm guessing they put 8 gallons as the minimum for a reason. It would be a MF'er if you put it in with 3 or 4 gallons and damaged something because the seafoam wasn't properly diluted.
That may well be... I just want to know what that reason is. If there is some concentration where seafoam becomes unsafe, where is that threshold, and what causes it to exist.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Banned

Gas with too much seafoam in it would cause detonation I'm guessing.
(I ran out of gas once in a work van and put a gallon of mineral spirits in, a vehicle never sucks the tank bone dry so I figured a gallon or two of gas was still in it, the mineral spririts will just bring the level up a gallon. It did, it ran, but it was detonating bad).
I did the same thing with seafoam to an old beater I bought a few weeks ago, put a can in the tank when it was on E and it ran for a while. It actually started running a little smoother, the exhaust smelled funny, but now the car runs great.
I think you should add a can to a near empty tank IMO.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:57 PM
Teching In

I just did the upper engine treatment today. Only problem I ran into was when the line from the brake booster was removed, the engine wanted to stall. I know the writeup says it should increase rpm, but not in my case. I had to hold my thumb over the line to keep it running. I manged to complete the process, but what a PITA doing it the way I had to. Is it possible I have another vac. leak somewhere? This is on an LT1 by the way.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:20 PM
Teching In

i did your whole process today and it worked great! its idling much smoother now.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:06 AM
10 Second Club

well i did the deed today.... i just turned 120k yesterday

i did everything cept for the oil since i changed the oil only 500 miles ago and its Royal Purple lol

it smoked a lil while idling, then when i took it out for the "spirited drive" it smoked at first, you could feel the car stumping once i started going higher in the rpms and then cleared out.

ill see how the mileage racks up as well, rite now i avg about 21mpg to the tank

-brandon
Old 04-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Teching In

This works! I use it on all the cars/trucks
Old 04-10-2008, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

so u can do the steps in any order? liek i could throw some in my full tank of gas and in oil... drive 100 miles do the top end seafoam then change my oil then finish driving the rest of the full tank of gas out? and it wouldnt hurt anything?
Old 04-14-2008, 03:10 AM
Staging Lane

Awesome write-up man. Going to do this entire process soon!
Old 04-14-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Just did this to my car last week....my engine was clean as hell, and is now even cleaner... thanks for the write up man!
Old 04-14-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did this on Saturday to my 383 and worked like a charm. Good feeling knowing it's a little cleaner inside. Also, got a chuckle out of the cop giving me dirtly looks (while he was writing someone a ticket on the street) as I reved it with boat loads of smoke coming out. LOL - Come on my property I dare you!!!!

Last edited by DAVE00; 04-15-2008 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn, I wish I knew about this stuff before I changed my plugs when I got the car with 214kmi back in August. I changed the oil too back then and I've just about put 3500 on it and am ready to change it again very soon. The car runs great since I tuned it up and did all the free mods but I'm sure it can run better. Should I seafoam it and change the fuel filter, or will I take a chance of fouling those new NGK's? They aren't exactly a breeze to change.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black98T/A
Damn, I wish I knew about this stuff before I changed my plugs when I got the car with 214kmi back in August. I changed the oil too back then and I've just about put 3500 on it and am ready to change it again very soon. The car runs great since I tuned it up and did all the free mods but I'm sure it can run better. Should I seafoam it and change the fuel filter, or will I take a chance of fouling those new NGK's? They aren't exactly a breeze to change.
Just did mine and the plugs are fine. I don't think you'll have a problem and yes you should always change the fuel filter every 50K miles. Just my 2 cents. Probably seafoam it first with a can in the tank too and then change the filter.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default I have been using seafoam ever 9K miles

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Just did mine and the plugs are fine. I don't think you'll have a problem and yes you should always change the fuel filter every 50K miles. Just my 2 cents. Probably seafoam it first with a can in the tank too and then change the filter.
25K miles on the fuel fliter for me.

I have been using seafoam evey 9K or 10K miles, for about 60K miles (only in top end) use Lucas injector cleaner in fuel say 4th or 5th tank. an on a rag to wipe the throttle body.

first few times I let seafoam soak into top end for the recommended 20 minutes never observed black smoke I usalley let the seafoam soak overnight and I still don't observe black smoke only grey smeally smoke and I beat the hell outta it the next morning.

try to use it just before every third oil change I'm thinking that the carbon buildup doe;st all exit out the exhaust some gets by the rings and ends up in the oil?

Why am I not observing this black smoke from loosened carbon deposits ? answer because of regular seamfoaming and more importantly my oil blowby catch can.

nice write up cho co taco did you get paid for this work from seafoam if not you should.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badmfkr
25K miles on the fuel fliter for me.

I have been using seafoam evey 9K or 10K miles, for about 60K miles (only in top end) use Lucas injector cleaner in fuel say 4th or 5th tank. an on a rag to wipe the throttle body.

first few times I let seafoam soak into top end for the recommended 20 minutes never observed black smoke I usalley let the seafoam soak overnight and I still don't observe black smoke only grey smeally smoke and I beat the hell outta it the next morning.

try to use it just before every third oil change I'm thinking that the carbon buildup doe;st all exit out the exhaust some gets by the rings and ends up in the oil?

Why am I not observing this black smoke from loosened carbon deposits ? answer because of regular seamfoaming and more importantly my oil blowby catch can.

nice write up cho co taco did you get paid for this work from seafoam if not you should.
Don't worry, I never saw black smoke as well just the stanky gray smoke you talked about. If you seach youtube you'll see this is pretty much what happens with most people as I don't think you should see black smoke unless you are on fire.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

Well i did the SeaFoam thing last night. I followed the instructions on this forum and it turned out to be my Trans Am was pretty clean. Only a little bit of smoke came out. Instead of putting a whole can of seafoam in the gas tank though i just put half the can that was left. I didnt notice a difference (of course cause it was clean already) but what i did feel today is that when im stopped it will shake a little at times as if something is wrong with the fuel. Its not VERY noticeable but its just one of those things. i wonder what that is? im sure it might have something to do the seafoam i poured into the gas tank. Oh well any comments is appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 04-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Just did the third step today. only smoked a little bit at idle but produced some great smoke clouds when I got on it. Worked like a charm! Working on finishing up the tank of gas.

Last edited by OneManArmy; 05-13-2008 at 09:50 PM.

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car