General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Seafoam Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by getusum
Just seafoamed the ss today. Took all of about 20 minutes. I'll drive it in about an hour.....Wish me luck....

Advance Auto carrys deep creap for those who can't find it...
All the guys carry Deep Creep for the most part. It's just in a weird spot. You need to look where the MAF cleaner or WD-40 is. Deep Creep, I think, can also be used as a parts lube and it's not kept with the Seafoam or fuel injector cleaners.

It's just hard to find, but it should be there somewhere.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long do you leave it in the engine oil? The best info I can find is one hour run time. I think that is said in the video from Seafoam that I posted in this thread. But I always hear of people leaving it in for longer and driving with it. Doesn't seem like a good idea, it's 9 ounces per 6 quarts. So how long do you leave it in for?
Old 05-12-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
How long do you leave it in the engine oil? The best info I can find is one hour run time. I think that is said in the video from Seafoam that I posted in this thread. But I always hear of people leaving it in for longer and driving with it. Doesn't seem like a good idea, it's 9 ounces per 6 quarts. So how long do you leave it in for?
I left in in for 150 gentle miles. Drained and refilled with new filter and oil.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
the first post has it all, 100 miles...
Old 05-15-2008, 09:08 PM

This is fantastic info and I can't thank you enough for putting this up.
This is just the tip of the iceberg of the info. I have been finding because of the great vault of knowledge that makes up this site.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Staging Lane

Great write-up, and I am starting this process on my 'new' 94k stock Z28.

However, I have to disagree with your statement that Seafoam is 100% petroleum. The MSDS for Seafoam shows that it contains IPA in the range of 10-20% (by weight). For those who don't know, IPA is Isopropyl Alcohol.

Again, nice detailed instructions on how to correctly use Seafoam. But you may need to change your statement regarding the phrase "100% petroleum".
Old 05-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Shake

However, I have to disagree with your statement that Seafoam is 100% petroleum. The MSDS for Seafoam shows that it contains IPA in the range of 10-20% (by weight). For those who don't know, IPA is Isopropyl Alcohol.

Again, nice detailed instructions on how to correctly use Seafoam. But you may need to change your statement regarding the phrase "100% petroleum".
Info directly off of Seafoam's website:

Originally Posted by Seafoam

SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT for Gas Engine Applications

100% Pure Petroleum
Use in All Engines in All Seasons
2 Cycle, 4 Cycle, and Diesels
Treats 3 Critical Areas: Gas Tank, Fuel Systems, and Crankcase

* Cleans fuel injectors
* Cleans carburetor jets
* Cleans carbon
* Stabilizes fuels
* Upper cylinder lube
* Removes moisture in fuel
* De-icer
* Frees sticky lifters
* Frees sticky rings
* Removes moisture in oil
* Cleans P.C.V. systems
* Cleans catalytic converter odors
* Oxygen sensor safe
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm

It's a 100% pure petroleum product. What this likely means is that it is 100% pure and a petroleum product, not made out of nothing but petroleum. It's all in how it's worded. For all intents and purposes, it's 100% pure petroleum. That means that there is nothing in it that will hurt your motor as it is pure and free of contaminates.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Teching In

A few questions about timing. I know you start with it in the fuel, should I run that tank of gas to about 1/4 tank, do the oil, then just as I'm getting low on fuel and the oil is ready to change do the internal engine? That way when I change the oil the seafoam is out of all the system components.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Banned

You're never going to win with this guy, he's with this ****.
Mechanic in a can, for some it's the only option.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:13 AM
Banned

Heres the answer from the people at Seafoam.
Sea Foam‏
Sent: Tue 5/20/08 9:53 AM
To: xxxxx@hotmail.com

Isopropyl starts as the engineered oil, then is distilled further into what you know of. It is an OIL, not a chemical.

Sorry, Sea Foam does not contain Isopropyl alcohol. That might be the less expensive way to create Sea Foam, but we use the better quality engineered oil specifically to ELIMINATE moisture.

Sea Foam, Trans Tune and Deep Creep contain 100% engineered Petroleum products, one of which is Isopropanol, an engineered base oil (not a Chemical) from which isopropyl alcohol and other moisture products are eventually manufactured.

Where the product you are thinking of is used for medical and general purpose, Isopropanol was engineered in the 1930's as an industrial moisture drier, and is in common use today, but is expensive.

Used mainly for the textile industry (and others also) it actually turns moisture back in to oxygen and hydrogen, rather than absorbing or encapsulating moisture as do products like your isopropyl and yellow and red bottle HEET, and other brands.

Note here: The medical alcohol you buy at the drug store is sold in different grades, depending on how much WATER they put in the mixture. 70% Isopropyl is 30% water added, 50% Isopropyl is 50% water added, etc. That water is absorbed and encapsulated by the Isopropyl, NOT ELIMINATED, Like Sea Foam's exclusive formula uses.

That is why Sea Foam recommends it be used in a VENTED system.

Thanks for asking!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the follow-up fellas. Good info.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by weasle
A few questions about timing. I know you start with it in the fuel, should I run that tank of gas to about 1/4 tank, do the oil, then just as I'm getting low on fuel and the oil is ready to change do the internal engine? That way when I change the oil the seafoam is out of all the system components.
Do it whatever way you want. Seafoam won't work any better or worse if you do all the steps at different times. I just recommend doing all three at once so the combined effects are more noticeable. If you do them individually or space them out too far, you likely won't "feel" any improvements because they're each so minute, you may not notice them. When you add them all together, they typically have a noticeable difference, but if you do them separately, they will still have the same overall effect. It'll just be harder to notice it.

I prefer to run the tank down to about the 1/4 tank mark, dump in the Seafoam, fill back up with 91+ octane, then drive home and let the car cool down. Once cool, add the Seafoam directly into the OIL FILL cap, then do the brake booster step. That way, it's all happening at once.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Seafoam today! So I did the old seafoam into the top-end, smokes if you got um' today. 102k on the car, and not any smoke during initial pouring...untill... I try to pull out of a side street and onto a main road to gas it. No one will let me out! Finally I get my chance. So I pull out, although I see this red car try to gas it in hopes to ride my rear end. They all try to do this, pisses me off. So I pull out mash the gas and look in the rear view mirror. One decent stream of smokey crap and a Mustang GT behind it!!! LMAO! No - LMFAO! Sorry dude, had to clean up a real motor.

Last edited by TedsB4Csled; 05-21-2008 at 08:42 PM. Reason: sp and punct
Old 05-23-2008, 08:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did a rough idling v10 dodge yesterday. now she purs..
Old 05-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cummins
Did a rough idling v10 dodge yesterday. now she purs..
Out of curiousity, how many miles on the Dodge?
Old 05-25-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

Just a quick q, im gonna be doing this some time in the near future. But Ive looked in a few auto part stores and none of them had the Seafoam deep creap (pic #2) but they did have the seafoam for the gas/oil. Anyone know where else to get it?
Old 05-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dimitri-
Just a quick q, im gonna be doing this some time in the near future. But Ive looked in a few auto part stores and none of them had the Seafoam deep creap (pic #2) but they did have the seafoam for the gas/oil. Anyone know where else to get it?
http://www.seafoamsales.com/buy.htm
Hope this helps.

FWIW I've seen Seafoam at one walmart for $2 less than the parts store.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:37 PM
12 Second Club

I see deep creep as being about damn near useless. Take off your TB and clean and polish it.. Its three bolts... 3 minute process. Then you can use TB cleaner on the inside of the intake with a rag and go to town on it It works!
Old 05-26-2008, 11:41 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Dimitri-
The auto parts stores carry the Deep Creep. It's just not kept with the oil and fuel injector cleaner. It's kept with either the lubricants (like WD-40) or by the MAF cleaner. Deep Creep doubles as a lubricant so it's usually kept with the lubricants, not with oil or injector cleaners.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
I see deep creep as being about damn near useless. Take off your TB and clean and polish it.. Its three bolts... 3 minute process. Then you can use TB cleaner on the inside of the intake with a rag and go to town on it It works!
Deep Creep is not useless. The LS1 is known for accumulating ridiculous amounts of oil in the intake manifold thanks to a poorly designed PCV system. The idea is to spray the Deep Creep into our disgusting intake manifolds and clean all the stuck-on oil from it. For cars where the PCV system does its job and the intake manifold stays clean, it may not do a whole lot, but for our cars where the intake manifolds are filthy, it makes a difference.

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car