General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Seafoam Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had my TB ported I got to view all that crap. Id rather wipe it down and take it outta the manifold then run it through the combustion chamber tho... but this is my .02 cents
Old 05-27-2008, 03:11 AM
Banned

if you had some serious debris in there then ya i would rather wipe it out, but most people i would assume from my experience don't have any issues just using the seafoam stuff.

As a rule of thumb do most you guys who do the whole seafoam cleaning change spark plugs after you change the oil out?
Old 05-27-2008, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get good old carb cleaner as it will do the same as deep creep and prob be about 1/2 the cost.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default clean

when I did the manifold swap I was amazed at the amount of oil blow by.

I wasn't about to let the FAST get gumed up.

solution is a oil blow by catch can.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:02 AM
Staging Lane

FYI

I was in the local Walmart yesterday, and they now have SeaFoam (regular, not Deep Creep) in the automotive section for $5.46

Of course, I just did the entire procedure 2 weeks ago. But maybe this info can save someone else out there $5.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Regular

Just did my first seafoaming last night. I filled my tank, added a can. Then I did the brake booster step, worked just as explained, car stalled on final gulp. Not much smoking during this process. After the car cooled down, I added the last half a can to the oil. Let some time pass, and fired her up. Hard to crank it that first time and the car didn't want to find idle for a minute or two. Finally found idle, gave a few light-moderate revs, then hit the road for some "spirited" driving, which definitely got the adrenaline pumping.

The brake booster was not too difficult, but in the same sense was not easy. The clip was a PITA due to its location and the angle it was sitting at initially. Difficult to get the pliers to it. The hose needed a good tug, some wiggling, and some screwdriver action, but finally popped off. It is simple to get back on, especially when its lubed with seafoam, lol.

Great write-up and so far seems like a great product. I didn't notice too much smoke (I'm at 82K miles), but then again it was getting dark, so who knows.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, seafoamed my V6 firebird with 89k on her last nite.. Sad to say it didn't smoke much at all .. I love seeing the huge smoke cloud .. I couldn't use the deep creep, bc of the weird TB it had. Its the throttle by wire TB. So kinda sucked.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:42 AM
Teching In

In an attempt to get rid of a valve/lifter chatter noise that my 40,000 mile '02 Camaro SS recently developed during warm-up, I added half a can of Sea Foam to my oil last night for the first time. I then drove around for about 25 city miles 75 highway miles.

From reading the original post in this thread, I expected my oil to be very black. But from looking at the oil on the dipstick, it appears that its color did not change at all for me... it still looks brand new. Also, upon cold-start this morning, the chattering noise was the same as it has been for the last 2 weeks.

Should I leave the Sea Foam in the oil a little longer and see if it has more of an effect, or should I give up on this approach and change the oil today?

Last edited by Shatty; 05-30-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Banned

you shouldn't leave it in the oil more than 100 miles. valvetrain noise could also be associated with the oil you use and how cold the engine is at initial startup.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shatty

Should I leave the Sea Foam in the oil a little longer and see if it has more of an effect, or should I give up on this approach and change the oil today?
Personally I go by what Seafoam says not the that posted the sticky. It says leave it in there for an hour of run time.
I'm not diluting my oil and putting a load on the engine.

And at 40,000 you might need a mechanic not a mechanic in a can, so yes give up on trying to fix an engine noise with something in a can. It's like taking aspirin for a broken arm, not going to do ****.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

25 bux later I did it! Got a couple big puffs of smoke during/after. One thing I did though was let it stall a few times while pouring it into the vacuum tube. That thing did not like the seafoam, it actually spit out some when it was sputtering haha. I was pouring it really slow too.

Anyway, I noticed a little difference in performance. And after I do my much needed oil change (going over to synthetic too) I think it should be even better.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do you use fresh oil when you do this?
Old 06-17-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Regular

^^^No, put it in your old oil. Best to do just before you need an oil change, as you will need to change the oil very soon after adding the seafoam.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Teching In

I did this to both my SS and my 01 4.8l truck. My truck has 140k on it and smoked like a steam engine for the 10-15min idle and probably 2-3minutes into driving. I didn't have a single puff of smoke after doing the camaro though. It sucked b/c I had some buddies come over to see the smoke show after one was there when I did my truck. At least I know the camaro has a clean engine.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:07 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have any luck with an LT1 using Seafoam to quiet down a noisy lifter?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

wish i could do this but i dont have an exhaust system yet just longtubes
Old 06-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Staging Lane

Did the first fuel and oil treatment about 8 months earlier and finally got around to running a half can through the brake booster hose yesterday. Nice cloud of smoke in the parking lot, but not quite a wall. A good blanket of white smoke. About what I expected for an engine with 82,xxx miles and its first cleaning. Got some nice stares from people on the other side of the lot. Could also see some shaking their heads and staring in disbelief.

There was some smoke from the hose after the engine stalled. And a good amount idling afterward. A few good WOT pulls to the interstate cleaned the rest of it out.

So far, no SES light or fouled plugs. Idle is better and smoother acceleration. Now I need to clean out the throttle body and PCV. Only negative side affects noticed included some seafoam leaking from the collar in front of the throttle body. Somehow it blew some threw the front of the intake past the MAF screen. Not sure what to think of that. Also got a slight tick in the exhaust, probably a little stress that caused a premature leak in part of the header gaskets. Would've eventually happened anyway.

Thanks for the write-up. Lots of good info and detail for a first-time seafoam.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:46 AM
Launching!

did mine threw the break booster and the gas and i got i huge cloud of smoke the first time i hit wot and then after that nothing it kinda spudered when i came to a stop after some WOT pulls and now a couple days later i feel like my car has more power and faster throttle response when i get back from my trip i will do the oil treat ment and let you know how that goes
Old 07-05-2008, 07:57 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the write-up...ran seafoam through my '96 TA yesterday...car smoked a little just before it stalled and then for about the first mile or so driving and then everything cleared out. We'll see how it goes from here...
Old 07-18-2008, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

i always thought you were supposed to change your oil and oil filter after you do the seafoam through your booster line. is that wrong?

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car