General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How To Seafoam Your Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nascarnut08
What does FTMFW mean? I too prefer the AMSOIL Flush. Works very well. And AMSOIL PI does a great job of cleaning out the carbon buildup in just one tank of gas.

FTMFW means: its great

Or, "for the mother ****** win".

Old 01-21-2010, 03:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will this work with my procharger,and fmic?? non self contain unit

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
yea but a lot of people don't even know what seafoam is. i thought it would be cool to not only tell people familiar with the product how to do it but to inform people that have no clue what it is.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

My car has almost 145K miles on it. I put seafoam in the gas tank a while back. I probably should do it again soon. My car runs great, but since it has so many miles I shouldn't seafoam the engine, right?
Old 01-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Thanks a lot choco i was curious about seafoam but i was scared to hell about pouring it on my crankcase so i went with lucas tune-up in a bottle essentially a full fuel system cleaner and my car has been running much better definitely regained some horsies i dont know if i should do seafoam now its been less than 500m since lucas i guess i'll hold off for now
Old 01-27-2010, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been a Seafoam user for years and can positively say, it works...very well.

I didn't read all 53 pages of this sticky, so it already may have been mentioned. On another enthusiast forum that I'm a member of, a lot of guys who sefoamed, and were using a gas (not going to give names) that has TECHRON, were noticing that after seafoaming there was no smoke. Apparently Techron does a great job keeping things clean as you fill up. I haven't experienced this, as I use another brand mainly due to the type of fuel card I have.

I would love to hear the experiences folks here have, who use techron blended fuel faithfully and who then also use seafoam.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

I use seafoam on all my vehicles.

As for the poster above me refering to gas, I also only buy ethanol free gasoline which helps with fuel economy, and less build up in the fuel system and filters.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:42 AM

can seafoam be used in a diesel pickup? and what's the procedure?
Thanks
Old 01-30-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blane's30thTA
can seafoam be used in a diesel pickup? and what's the procedure?
Thanks
Yes you can.
Next time you change your fuel filter, follow all the regular steps you'd normally do....except, instead of replacing cap, pour whole can of seafoam into resevoir. Replace your cap, prime, and fire it up.
Now, on my '06 cummins, it never smoked with the seafoam...your results may vary.

excuse my shitty way of explaining this....being done through my phone
Old 01-30-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GSus
I've been a Seafoam user for years and can positively say, it works...very well.

I didn't read all 53 pages of this sticky, so it already may have been mentioned. On another enthusiast forum that I'm a member of, a lot of guys who sefoamed, and were using a gas (not going to give names) that has TECHRON, were noticing that after seafoaming there was no smoke. Apparently Techron does a great job keeping things clean as you fill up. I haven't experienced this, as I use another brand mainly due to the type of fuel card I have.

I would love to hear the experiences folks here have, who use techron blended fuel faithfully and who then also use seafoam.
CHEVRON...been using it for the whole 10 years in the car.....SEAFOAMED...waste of my time and money....not 1 wiff of smoke...no smell either...I suggest CHEVRON.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Teching In

iM GONNA TRY THIS
Old 03-02-2010, 01:50 AM
Banned

My car has lost 4 mpg off its peak. Some folks here recommended that I seafoam it, among other things. I found this thread very useful, thanks to choco, years later his info is still useful...

I was a little disappointed because when I started the car up, I didn't see any exhaust. But it just took about 30 seconds to kick in, and then I had a delightful white cloud, so I guess it worked!

Now to take it out for a long drive and test that mileage!
Old 03-02-2010, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Schmalgar
My car has lost 4 mpg off its peak. Some folks here recommended that I seafoam it, among other things. I found this thread very useful, thanks to choco, years later his info is still useful...

I was a little disappointed because when I started the car up, I didn't see any exhaust. But it just took about 30 seconds to kick in, and then I had a delightful white cloud, so I guess it worked!

Now to take it out for a long drive and test that mileage!
Try putting it in your fuel tank, and then when the tank is gone, change the fuel filter. See if that helps any. stay away from ethanol blended gas, if possible, for fuel economy.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
Try putting it in your fuel tank, and then when the tank is gone, change the fuel filter. See if that helps any. stay away from ethanol blended gas, if possible, for fuel economy.
Roger that. I did put a can in the tank also, and it's just about gone. That's what I am waiting for. Hopefully all of this will get that lost mileage back, as it's really ticking me off. 4 mpg is quite noticeable...
Old 03-05-2010, 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

just did all 3 steps and am waiting to start it back up ill edit and let everyone know how much 150000mile t/a smokes.

well i guess my car didnt have much build up cause i only got one little puff of smoke oh well good to know my engine is clean.

Last edited by millersta; 03-05-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by millersta
just did all 3 steps and am waiting to start it back up ill edit and let everyone know how much 150000mile t/a smokes.

well i guess my car didnt have much build up cause i only got one little puff of smoke oh well good to know my engine is clean.
SeaFoam is TERRIBLE for cleaning the top end, so you might get some smoke, you might not.

Use MCCC cleaner or don't bother. SeaFoam is a false clean.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:34 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seafoamed yesterday. Apparently they now have a pour friendly can!
Attached Thumbnails How To Seafoam Your Car-seafoam.jpg  
Old 04-10-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

The engine had begun giving me audible knock in the upper MAP regions as the weather warmed up, and knowing I burn oil (with a Norris catch can installed), I wanted to clean it up before I try to eliminate the knock. Local GM dealer was out of top-end cleaner for "a couple of weeks", so I picked up two cans of MCCC. Also added a bottle of Lucas fuel system cleaner. Didn't have a friend nearby, so I decided to try a long piece of clear plastic tubing from the PCV port on the intake to the drivers seat. It sucked almost the entire first can down before the engine stopped nicely. Will try to give it three hours and we'll see what we get. I figure if it was ineffective from the long tube(?), then I have a second can to use with a short hose & a buddy.

Edit: Waited 2.5 hours, then started the car. Idled briefly, then died. Re-started and gave it a little gas and it stumbled a little bit but recovered. Let it idle 5,10,15 minutes, no smoke at all from the tailpipes. Odd. Took it out for a drive... it tends to want to die clutch in, rolling to a stop, or creeping over speed bumps. Ramped up the RPM's slowly, nothing unusual, no smoke at all. Turned right onto a street and gave it hell in first gear, didn't see any smoke at all. Something seems to be intermittently rattling from the passenger side, seems to be coming from the collector area. Not sure if it's something as simple as a loose heat shield.

I find it hard to believe that with the oil I burn that I wouldn't have any smoke.

Last edited by JimMueller; 04-10-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Seafoamed my 99 formula 82,000 miles today for the first time. At first it idled really low, prob around 100 rpm. When I started pouring the seafoam through the brake booster it idled to 3,000 while pouring and droped to almost a stall when i stopped. If was difficult to pour in and i spilled a bit but still got atleast 6 onces in. It also dident want to stall shen i poured the last third in so I shut off the car but it continued to run for about 10 seconds (very weird lol). Anyways waited turned the key and started up first try. alittle smoke came out the pipes but nothing excessive. It was a very windy day so the smoke dident linger in one perticular spot. After letting it run for a bit and i gave it a good 4 to 5 WOT pulls. A good amount of smoke came out on all of the pulls. I do have to say that I do notice a difference. The throttle response is better and my idle RPM dropped by around 500 RPM.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

I Did it about 2 hours ago. Did the oil then let it warm up and did the top end. it poured out when i throttled it for a few. Then took it for a Taxing drive and it eventually stopped smoking and the smell went away. stopped got gas and added a bottle to my gas see how it helps with that. It did seem to get rid of the hesitation that i had around 2k rpm. car had 177k miles
Old 04-18-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive thought about doing mine down the road it has 128k mile and ive never done it

Quick Reply: How To Seafoam Your Car