General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Headlight gear stripped!!! Can someone help me PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 02:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight gear stripped!!! Can someone help me PLEASE

Turns out that my drivers side headlight gear is stripped. I tried the 180 temp fix and it just makes my problem reverse. Started out that my light was making the jack hammer noise when i turned my lights off, now after doing the 180 temp fix, it makes the jackhammer noise when the lights go up. So now I guess im forced to by the brass headlight gear. I was wondering if there was anybody that could give me a link or a good write up on how to install a gear in the motor. Thanks for yalls help
Old 07-08-2006, 02:32 AM
Launching!

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl...earinstall.htm
This is on a LT1 bird but its the same parts. I had found an install video somewhere, can't remember where.
I have the brass gears but never installed them. I hit a deer and got new headlights. I Would rather have had to put in the brass gears.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:35 AM
TECH Resident

I had the same problem, you can take the gear out and put it in a spot (90 degrees one way) so that its a "good section". I had a friend ship over some plastic gears (trying to save money), the swap was easy and I let the epoxy sit over a weekend. My old gear had a chunk taken out of it, but I saved it because it can still be used (theres still a good half section).
Old 07-08-2006, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Ok cool...About how long does it take to get the headlight motor out??? And also does anyone know a good online store that sells the brass headlight gear? I didnt seem to find any on ebay.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl...ear%20failures
Old 07-08-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can strip brass gears too. By the time you've stripped your first gear, a lot of times the housing itself has gotten loose, which is part of what caused the gear to strip in the first place. There are some tabs you can push down on to tighted the case back up, but once it's happened it'll just happen again. For the hassle it is to get the motors out, I would just put new ones in. I did the brass gear thing, and a few months later ended up replacing both motors.

Old 07-08-2006, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

well when your on a budget like me you really cant fork out that much money for new motors so ill chance the brass ones. After reading several threads they seem to be pretty reliable in the most part. Does anyone in here know were I can get them for cheap. The cheapest I have found is $40.00 is that what they pretty much sell for??? And also, the 180 temp fix didnt work, so do you think if I take it apart and flip the gear around to the good side, that that will fix it temporary? Thanks for all yalls help by the way
Old 07-09-2006, 01:31 AM
On The Tree

ok...after reading all yalls great write ups, I decided to dig in my headlight and start taking it apart and see what was going on in there. Never doing anything like this before, I had the motor out within 30 minutes, seemed to go smooth. The only thing that took a while was getting the plastic cover off the motor. Once I got it off I found a gear with only 2 teeth broke off....hmmmmm...kinda strange but real good I guess..I then put the gear around on the blind side, put it all back together and now my lights work good as new again..THANK YOU SO MUCH yall guys saved me alot of money.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

Glad to hear it worked I would order a plastic gear just as a spare and keep it handy.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Should I go plastic or brass??? whats the difference in price?