General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Found an ONLINE STORE that sells GC 0W-30!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 09:56 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm...interesting...maybe mike isn't getting his oil

it's probably just site maintenance. i'll keep checking back.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
hmmm...interesting...maybe mike isn't getting his oil

it's probably just site maintenance. i'll keep checking back.
I got my tracking number and it is moving through the Fedex system with a new scheduled delivery date of 7/19. Also, the site works fine for me thins morning so it was probably just down last night. I'm confident I'm going to get my oil but whether it is the right stuff is yet to be seen. I won't get home until late on the 19th but I'll post up when it arrives.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:12 AM
Tech Resident

ah yes, you are right, it's back up. sweeeeeeeet.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excuse my ignorance but what is the advantage of 0W over 5W or 10W even?
Old 07-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

do you guys run the 0w 30 all the time - are these cars daily driven?

I thought 0w30 from GC didn't have the detergents to make it ok for everyday use - just race motors.

correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:20 PM
Tech Resident

castrol syntec 0W-30 is made in germany...at least the version we run. it can be found at autozone and likely on this website posted above. mike will post his results in a few days. it HAS TO SAY "made in germany" on the back. it's completely unlike american castrol syntec. the made in german 0W-30 is extremely exotic. it's far more advanced than mobil 1 and just may be the best oil you can possibly purchase. patman runs his oil for i think 9,000 miles without an oil change and it comes out stronger than most oils that are run for 3,000 miles. ask patman, he'll tell you, he's had tons of oil analyses done.

the 0W-30 german castrol syntec is thicker than mobil 1 5W-30 and offers better protection and cleaning every day of the year at any temperature. we run it all year around. what can you expect by running german castrol 0W-30? say good bye to the LS1 tick and nearly amber oil 3,000 miles later (mine is! hardly even dirty). i'm a believer. the only noise coming out of my engine bay is the belts spinning!

i drive my car 400 miles a week and though i've only had it for 2 months, it's been driven in all weather conditions, rain or shine.

the advantage of 0W is it's thin when cold and it offers awesome startup protection because it immediately lubricates parts that a thicker oil cannot. it can be used until -40*F without aided startup and exceeds every test it has ever been put under. the 30 in 0W-30, or the weight when it is hot, is more toward a 40 weight offering superior parts protection when warm. ice cold and red hot, German Castrol synetc 0W-30 is the best oil you can run in an LS1 bar none.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea what he said ^^^^!

One thing I did want to clarify....the GC 0W-30 is not a thick oil per say. It is just a true 30-40 weight oil at temperature. A lot of the oils that are out there say they are a 30 weight but are closer to a 20 weight oil at temperature in actuality. This includes the number one oil that people use in their LS1. Nothing wrong with that oil it is just not ideal for the LSx engine. This is why many people, myself included have noticed less noise in our engines and less oil consumption after switching from the "popular" oil to the GC 0W-30. I'm not saying it will cure everyones issues but it certainly helped mine. You can also go a lot longer on the GC 0W-30 than other oils. Patman has gone 9k miles on the GC and his oil test came back to say there was still life left in the oil. I used to change my oil every year as I do not not put many miles on my car but my oil test this year has me convinced I can go 2-3 years between changes. I baby my car for the most part so I'll change it every 2 years but I'm sure it could go much further.

I'm sitting on about 20 bottles of GC and if this on line store turns out to actually ship me the oil they claim to have shipped I'll be ordering a LOT more. I have cleaned out all the Autozones around me and none have gotten it back in stock as they are all small stores. The oil is suppose to arrive on the 19th to my buddies house and I will post up once it does and I get him to verify that it does have the "Made in Germany" on the back.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Staging Lane

sweet - hope it works out.

I'm going to go check my local autozones and vato boys to see if they carry it.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Tech Resident

what do you think the chances are of getting this site to become a sponsor and drop their price a little? i mean, if we start getting people to buy off this site and give it more business...is this likely? if we can get this stuff for $6.00-$6.50 a quart and have it shipped to our house, it's far better than running to autozone!
Old 07-18-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok guys the order showed up a day early. My buddy got home and found 7 cases sitting on his doorstep. Here is a picture I asked him to take of the back of one of the bottles. It IS the good stuff and it was shipped very quickly via FedEx!

Old 07-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

nice - now how about that sponsor idea....
Old 07-18-2006, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MidnightStallion
nice - now how about that sponsor idea....
I emailed the guy sending him a link to this thread but I did not get a response yet. A bunch of us might want to do this. Just go to their web site and choose "contact us" and a form will pop up.

I was happy with their price based on the fact that no Autozone anywhere around me had anymore and my time and gas would cost more than the extra 3 bucks per bottle even if I could find it at some far off Autozone. Plus the free shipping over 50 and no tax made it an easy decision for me. I've got enough oil now to last me about 10 years. I still have 20 bottles left from my old stash as well

EDIT: I'm guessing they must have gotten asked many times if the 0W-30 says "Made in Germany" on the back as they just posted that above the picture of the 0W-30 oil on their site.

Last edited by Mike02Z; 07-18-2006 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:37 PM
Tech Resident

i may send this guy an email also saying if he drops his price a little to compete with autozone, i'll do all my oil business from him. i just got a new credit card with cashback rewards, if he drops his price i'll buy it now i gotta change my oil in a week or two with my 400 mile a week commute.

Originally Posted by Mike02Z
EDIT: I'm guessing they must have gotten asked many times if the 0W-30 says "Made in Germany" on the back as they just posted that above the picture of the 0W-30 oil on their site.
see what i did
Old 07-18-2006, 08:09 PM
Tech Resident

okay, i'm officially sending him this email:

i had to laugh when i went to your website today when i read your advertisement for castrol syntec 0W-30 oil. i noticed it said "made in germany" on it. i found this funny because it did not say that a week or two ago. i know this because i am probably singlehandedly responsible for a flood of emails to your website asking if this oil is in fact "made in germany" and a possible large jump in castrol synetc 0W-30 oil sales. the reason is, i'm a big poster on a forum LS1tech.com. my account is ChocoTaco369. the "made in germany" castrol syntec is a legend for our cars with an LS1 model engine, if you're at all familiar with the camaro, firebird, corvette, new GTO and other general motors performance V8 cars. the problem is, this made in germany castrol syntec 0W-30 oil is very hard to find. it is only available to some autozones at the rate of $5.49 a quart. we have a VERY hard time getting our hands on this oil so this is the main reason why many users on the forums do not use it - we just simply can't. thousands of internet searches have been conducted to find a place for this oil to be bought so everyone can have it, but sadly, none have ever come back...until one day i was bored and searched for literally a few hours and found a site that carried it - yours. i was very excited and posted the link to your website on LS1tech.com. here is the link to the thread i started:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...8&page=1&pp=20

you see, for many of us, your website is the only source for this coveted oil. for me, the nearest autozone that carries this oil is 30 miles away and is a very long and congested drive. i dread the drive with gas over $3 a gallon as you can imagine...taking a long, stop-and-go drive just to spend $35 on oil that isn't even guaranteed to be in stock.

i'll get to the point: i would like to ask you to become a contributing sponsor to www.LS1tech.com/ . i am sure it would result in a big boost in sales of this particular oil due to your sponsorship. LS1tech has thousands of members, with many of these members on other forum sites dedicated to the LS1 engine. this means your website will spread through the forum community of thousands like wildfire - if it hasn't started to already. this oil is also very popular in BMW's, hondas and mercedes,too. if you do a google search on German Castrol 0W-30, you will see dozens of single forum threads regarding this oil and how hard it is to get! if you search "GC 0W-30" on www.LS1tech.com/ alone, you will see dozens of threads and polls claiming it is the best oil out there.

now, i must tell you that the price of your oil is kind of high on your website and that high price (compared to $5.49/quart at autozone) will keep users with local autozones away from the oil. i realize that this is a difficult thing to ask, but if the price on the oil was dropped to compete with autozone's $5.49/quart while still offering free shipping on orders of $50 or more, i can almost guarantee a large swell of oil sales and can promise you i will be a customer on your website for years to come for the sole purpose of this coveted oil.

please at least consider my proposal. i know what you may be thinking: "this guy must be crazy! he wants us to drop our price and pay sponsorship on a forum?!". well, i can tell you it will likely be worth it. i'm willing to bet you will see an increase in oil sales just because of my single forum post alone if you haven't already. in fact, i can guarantee you a few emails from LS1tech.com members over the next few days. that'll show how serious we are about offering you our business.

please consider my proposal. i'd love to hear back from you, maybe some arrangements can be worked out that will benefit us all!

also, i'd like to add, if you don't completely believe me about your sponsorship boosting business, please look at www.ls1tech.com/ and register an account and ask some of the LS1Tech sponsors how their sponsorship has boosted their sales. it's really amazing how just a few dollars a month have helped these sponsors profit thousands. again, i can promise you, if you do this, you'll have my business.

thanks for your time,
Anthony
i encourage you ALL to send emails of your own to try and convince the website of a price drop and sponsorship. it's a lot for just me being one guy to ask, but if they get dozens or hundreds of emails, they'd be crazy not to compete with autozone. no one would go to autozone anymore! c'mon guys, make yourselves heard!

CONTACT THEM HERE AND TELL THEM YOU WANT THEM AS A SPONSOR!!!

NOTE* Please do not call for information on sponsorships. All Correspondence must be via email.
^^^that's on their contact us forum. hehe i wonder if this has something to do with me too?

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-18-2006 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it would be great but I don't think they will see the sales you think they will. Even after the thousands of posts saying how good this oil is you still see the vast majority of people on this site say "I use M1 5W-30". Just look at this thread. We have the majority of posts. Most people just think an oil is an oil and are not even willing to spend 5 something a qt for oil.

Yes, there is a small minority of us who will pony up for the good stuff but I do not think as many people will order as you think. There are lots of "tire kickers" here. "Hey man, I want that" in the sale threads all the time but yet the next day people post "Still for Sale". Also consider that 175 per month is steep for a small company especially when you are asking them to pay the 175 per month AND lower their price 3 bucks per quart. Even if they do that I'm betting they won't do more than 200 a month is sales from this site.

I hope I'm wrong and maybe I'm just being pessimistic but I just don't see this happening in all honesty
Old 07-18-2006, 09:32 PM
Tech Resident

well, i partially agree with you, but there's a few things that i gotta make known.

1.) most people don't know of GC 0W-30 because it's not found anywhere. if we had sponsors floating around the forums creating awareness, it would be much better known and more widely used

2.) many users on this site run mobil 1 because they can't get their hands on GC 0W-30. i've heard several people ask patman to part with some of his supply as he has something like 75 quarts just sitting in storage

3.) apparently, they received several emails from people since they went to all the trouble to actually change their website's description and add "MADE IN GERMANY" to it. just because people haven't posted doesn't mean they're not reading.

4.) not many people post in the "general maintenance & repairs" forum. if this sponsor actively posts in other forums, they will strike a cord with more people. most LS1Tech'ers don't even know this thread exists!

5.) this thread may not have a lot of posts but it has more hits than nearly any thread on this page and in the general maintenance & repair section

6.) i think a lot of people were waiting on your results. i see this thread becoming more popular now that we know it's the good stuff.

there is an interest, and with a sponsorship, there will be more interest.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:29 AM
Launching!

I am a BMW tech by trade and can get my hands on as much BMW 5w-30 (made by castrol) as I want. I have been reading this site for several months now and I am getting confused on to what oil to run. Some are running 0-30 and other different weights. I can get this oil for about for free due to I drain the old qt bottles when I get thru changing oil. I know sounds cheap but at a whopping 6.00 a qt why pay when I can get for free. lol

I live in the south where temps have been around 100 degrees/upper 90 for a while now and I can't see running a 0-30. BMW changes there oil every 15000 miles and it stiil holds up. I removes vavle covers regularly to replace gskts and you can basically eat off the cam shafts at 100,000 miles. Would this oil work for me at 5-30?

I recently bought a 01 ws6 w/miles of 18,000. This car has been pampered since day one. I only drive this car about 100 miles a month.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by 01WS6er
I am a BMW tech by trade and can get my hands on as much BMW 5w-30 (made by castrol) as I want. I have been reading this site for several months now and I am getting confused on to what oil to run. Some are running 0-30 and other different weights. I can get this oil for about for free due to I drain the old qt bottles when I get thru changing oil. I know sounds cheap but at a whopping 6.00 a qt why pay when I can get for free. lol

I live in the south where temps have been around 100 degrees/upper 90 for a while now and I can't see running a 0-30. BMW changes there oil every 15000 miles and it stiil holds up. I removes vavle covers regularly to replace gskts and you can basically eat off the cam shafts at 100,000 miles. Would this oil work for me at 5-30?

I recently bought a 01 ws6 w/miles of 18,000. This car has been pampered since day one. I only drive this car about 100 miles a month.
castrol syntec 0W-30 made in germany and castrol syntec 5W-30 made in america have nothing in common but the name "Castrol Syntec".

castrol syntec made in america is cheap oil. it's nothing but super refined normal crude oil. it's refined to such an extent and has enough additives that america allows castrol to market it under the "fully synthetic" name EVEN THOUGH IT IS NOT FULLY SYNTHETIC. castrol just flat out lies. their base oil is normal crude, not a synthetic. for instance, mobil 1 is fully synthetic from the base and all the way up making it superior to all other castrol syntec EXCEPT made in germany 0W-30.

luckily, this is illegal in germany. the only way, according to german law, that castrol can market it is if the base oil is in fact fully synthetic. that is why we love the "made in germany" castrol 0W-30 so much. it's the only castrol syntec you can get in america that is truly fully synethic since it's not made here. the base oil is extremely exotic, far superior than anything even mobil 1 has. it's the best oil out there for LSx style engines and will likely be the best out there for BMW also.

the "made in germany" 0W-30 is a whole different animal than the castrol syntec you see on the shelves at wal mart, advance auto, napa and other retailers. this is the real deal. if you can't run this "made in germany" castrol syntec 0W-30, just stick to mobil 1 0W-40/5W-40, it's better than the rest of the syntec line.

in short, the only castrol syntec i'd ever run is the "made in germany" 0W-30. the rest of the syntec line isn't worth it unless they one day step up to the exotic base found in the germany variety.

however, i and many other LS1tech'ers only put the best in our cars, and that's "made in germany" castrol syntec 0W-30. now that i have found a website that sells it online, it's available to everyone.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

The BMW 5w30 is actually not Castrol Syntec made in USA though, it's a German oil too, it's Castrol Softec 5w30. It's not as good as the 0w30, but it's better than US made 5w30. It's made for the longer intervals that BMWs require.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the way your closest autozone changed from the 20 miles you quoted to us to 30 miles in your email to them.
32% price drop, get real
now that i have found a website that sells it online, it's available to everyone
get real again, how many times are you going to gloat that you FOUND AN INTERNET SIGHT.
And how much more cocky could you have been in your email to them, acting like you are making them all kinds of money.