General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

bogging down

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bogging down

alright so i have no idea what is going wrong so i figured i would post and see if any one can help.
this is what happens. when i take off from a slow roll or from a dead stop and hit the gas the car acts like it doesn't want to go it bogs down like if i were to have a M6 and try and take off in like 3rd or something (i have an A4 though) it will do then and then i'll let off and then hit the gas again and it will bog a little more then lurch and take off. i have no idea what the problem is.

the car is an A4 and supposedly has a B&M shift kit (said the guy i bought it from) it also has 3.73's

anyone have any ideas what the hell could be going on???
Old 07-17-2006, 07:56 PM
12 Second Club

mine is doing the exact same thing and very interested on what it is!! i thought it was only doing it when it was cold but then it does it sometimes when its warmed up. its only when i start the car and take off then its like you said it boggs down like it wants to cut off. if i put it in neutral and rev it up, it goes away and its fine, idles fine revs fine and everything. its when i put it in drive and give it gas it just boggs. after playing with it a little it just goes away and runs perfect, from take off and everything. it just does it once i start the car and take off for the first time, cold or hot doesnt matter. i have recently used foamy engine gunk and washed my engine bay, maybe i got water somewhere or something, thats the only thing im thinking. also a very recent tune. i really dont think its the tranny though....any ideas, help is greatly apprecited!
Old 07-17-2006, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

my car did the EXACT same thing. I later found out that my maf sensor was dirty along with my throttle body. Try cleaning the 2 and I can almost garruntee a fix! Let me know the outcome
Old 07-17-2006, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

i know how to clean the throttle body...actually about to get a new one but how do you go about cleaning the maf sensor, same way i would guess right?
Old 07-17-2006, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Actually you got to be pretty careful but its easy. Just remove your airbox and then unplug your iat sensor and maf sensor. It then should pull right out after losining the clamps, I heard storys of people having trouble getting it out but mine came right out with ease. Next just grap about 10 q tips or so depending on how dirty. Spray like a carb cleaner or tb cleaner on the end of the q tip and just scrub off the gunk thats built up on the maf. Be careful when cleaning around the little wires, they seem to break if alot of force is put on them. You can still clean and touch them just be careful. Make sure all the wires are clean and no dirt remains anywere before you put it back on the car. Hopefully this will fix you up and get rid of your bogging. Good luck!
Old 07-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Launching!

thank you, i will try that when i get a chance tonite i hope it's as simple as that.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:00 PM
12 Second Club

anyone else seem to have this problem is this doesnt work?
Old 07-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Launching!

cleaned the MAF haven't noticed it bog yet but it only did it every once in a while not every time i drive so i'll see what happens. i do have a k&n and recently oiled it so hopefully that was just the problem.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:26 AM
On The Tree

man thats awesome hopefully that fixed your prob!
Old 07-19-2006, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

decided to do the same thing but ive been wanting to get my tb ported and polished so i orded my shaner S3 last night so when that comes in ill do it all at once and hopefully that will do it!
Old 07-22-2006, 07:10 PM
Launching!

well my car hasn't bogged down at all since i cleaned the MAF so i think that was all it was. so if any one else's car is bogging down then try that first b/c i was afraid it was going to be an expensive problem. thanx DomesticLS1.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Friday my car strangly started to bogg down, up around 2500 rpms. I kept thinking WTF now... Once I got to where I was going, & shut off the car, it seemed to run normal again after that.

I have no idea why, but its been bothering me that happend at all.

I'm going to take my MAF off today and clean it out, catn hurt. thanks for the tip!
Old 09-27-2006, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

My car does the exact same thing. It boggs when it cold then runs perfect. I will try cleaning the MAF tomorrow and I will let you guys know the outcome. Thanks for the tip man.
-Ivan
Old 10-02-2006, 02:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DomesticLS1
my car did the EXACT same thing. I later found out that my maf sensor was dirty along with my throttle body. Try cleaning the 2 and I can almost garruntee a fix! Let me know the outcome

Hey thanks alot man that man a problem a had for years and I just didnt know what it could of been. The camaro barely started doing it but that happend with both mustang I used to have. Again Thanks
-Ivan
Old 10-02-2006, 02:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just one thing fellas be very careful when cleaning the maf....also when you have it off take the time get some TB cleaner and clean that and the sensor ports in your TB...it will take a few seconds and your car will thank you for it