General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Idle worse after cleaning IAC? WTF!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 11:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle worse after cleaning IAC? WTF!?

Ive been going through hell trying to get a consistent idle and today I took the TB off and pulled the IAC sensor out and cleaned the TB really good with carb cleaner and wiped the sensor off and now my idle is even worse! It constantly fluxuates between 500 and 1100 rpms. All this happened after I installed a 10" sub but since then I have taken all those wires out and triple checked all my other power and grounds, replaced the battery (didn't think this would help but I was still on the factory AC Delco one and it was on its last leg), and got a really thorough street tune. The tune yielded a decent ammount of power but the idle is still crap. There are no codes and I am lost. All I can think of is that the maf may be going bad or the IAC sensor is dead...if anyone has any input or ideas that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 08-13-2006, 12:14 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Did you use any chemicals on the IAC valve? If so perhaps it got damaged.

Or maybe the IAC just needed to be replaced to begin with. I found that wiping mine off did nothing, so I ended up having to replace it.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:21 AM
TECH Regular

RPM WS6, where did you buy a new one and how much did it set you back if you dont mind me asking?
Old 08-13-2006, 01:40 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by HowellSoccer88
RPM WS6, where did you buy a new one and how much did it set you back if you dont mind me asking?
That was a couple years ago.

I bought it from a local dealer actually, list price was somewhere around $95 or so.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
That was a couple years ago.

I bought it from a local dealer actually, list price was somewhere around $95 or so.
Jeez...is there anyway to know for sure or am I just hoping the IAC has gone bad and it will fix my problems with a new one?
Old 08-13-2006, 11:06 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Jeez...is there anyway to know for sure or am I just hoping the IAC has gone bad and it will fix my problems with a new one?
Frankly I'm not sure that there's any way to know 100%. When mine was being an issue, the only thing I noticed besides the funny idle was the grinding sound.

If all else was quiet around the car (like being in the closed garage), with the hood popped, if I turned the key to the "on" position (engine off though), and then back to the "off" position, you could hear the IAC grinding pretty loud when it reset. Almost like rocks bouncing around in a can.

Thing is, if your idle issue is different/worse now than it was right before you pulled the IAC, then one of two things has likely happened:

1) Somehow you damaged the IAC while cleaning it (or if it was already going bad then you damaged it further),

or

2) The IAC is not fully seated back into the TB and you have a vacuum leak.

IIRC, there is a rubber O-ring that seals the IAC to the TB. If that ring is not is not seated properly, you could have a leak.

I guess the only way to know for sure would be to find someone else local with a car like yours and swap IACs just for a minute to see if that fixes it. Know any local LS1 guys?
Old 08-13-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Regular

Yea I made sure the o ring made it back in but I will take your advice and swap IACs with someone to see if thats the problem before I go spend a hundred dollars on a new one. Thanks for all your help!
Old 08-13-2006, 02:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Yea I made sure the o ring made it back in but I will take your advice and swap IACs with someone to see if thats the problem before I go spend a hundred dollars on a new one. Thanks for all your help!
No problem.

If you have someone to swap with, that would be the best test possibile.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Idle worse after cleaning IAC? WTF!?