General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Brown coolant... Plz help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brown coolant... Plz help!!

ok so i just did a ported TB swap and i lost a bit of coolant. while refilling today, i noticed that there was a brown substance that resembled peanut butter all down the tube of the coolant resivour (or however you spell it). anyway my power steering is going out too and i was wondering if somehow the coolant and power steering were mixing through the PS cooler. but then i remembered hearing that 98s dont have a power steering pump. can anyone shead some light on my situation?
Old 09-05-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

tttplz
Old 09-05-2006, 07:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i would like to know the milage on the car? And if it has powersteering how can it not have a pump.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like your coolant has broken down, it was almost turn to a algea...in that tank just flush and refill
Old 09-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Launching!

Not a whole lot of info to go on. Is it a manual or A4?
Old 09-06-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have PS, you have a pump. Suck out the PS fluid with a turkey baster and replace it with new. Run it a while. Repeat several times.

Get your cooling system flushed and refilled.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Launching!

The two fluid never mix. The 98 Z-28's don't have a PS fluid cooler, the SS might( I'm not positive though) Just flush your coolant and you should be fine.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the help. ill flush the coolant and see if it comes back. the car is a 98 Camaro Z28 M6. i know if i have power steering that i would have a pump, i meant to say i didn't know if i had a cooler. sorry for the misunderstanding
Old 09-07-2006, 06:23 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

the 2 fluids CAN mix.

here's how - the 98 has a power steering cooler that is in the pipe that also makes up the center section of the upper radiator hose. mine leaked and allowed power steering fluid to be lost into the cooling system. besides causing the PS resevoir to run dry, it also contaminated the low coolant sensor in the radiator which then gave a false coolant low light. Cleaning the sensor fixes that.

to test for the leak, just pressurize your radiator with a pressure tester from Autozone (free loaner) and look for the bubbles in the PS resevoir.

its an easy fix - get a new PS cooler pipe from chevy dealer then flush and fill coolant and PS.

I've mentioned this many times but most people don't take the time to realize how obvious it is that this could happen. those that have problems like yours and take the time to listen are thankful they did. If your upper radiator hose has a metal pipe running parrallel with the radiator between the 2 rubber hose ends, that is your PS cooler. If you look, or feel, under the bottom side of the pipe you will see/feel the hoses going to the PS system.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pjb
the 2 fluids CAN mix.

here's how - the 98 has a power steering cooler that is in the pipe that also makes up the center section of the upper radiator hose. mine leaked and allowed power steering fluid to be lost into the cooling system. besides causing the PS resevoir to run dry, it also contaminated the low coolant sensor in the radiator which then gave a false coolant low light. Cleaning the sensor fixes that.

to test for the leak, just pressurize your radiator with a pressure tester from Autozone (free loaner) and look for the bubbles in the PS resevoir.

its an easy fix - get a new PS cooler pipe from chevy dealer then flush and fill coolant and PS.

I've mentioned this many times but most people don't take the time to realize how obvious it is that this could happen. those that have problems like yours and take the time to listen are thankful they did. If your upper radiator hose has a metal pipe running parrallel with the radiator between the 2 rubber hose ends, that is your PS cooler. If you look, or feel, under the bottom side of the pipe you will see/feel the hoses going to the PS system.
For clarification, is this only on the SS (or PS cooler equipped) cars?
Or ALL 98 Z28 & SSs?
Old 09-08-2006, 05:31 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gun5l1ng3r
For clarification, is this only on the SS (or PS cooler equipped) cars?
Or ALL 98 Z28 & SSs?

I don't know. look for the metal pipe in the upper radiator hose, just behind the radiator, with the small hoses coming out the bottom and going to the PS system. its easy to see if you have it or not.