General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

strange vibration while idling in Drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange vibration while idling in Drive

I have a strange problem whenever my a4 is either in drive or reverse and at idle. When I have the car in gear and my foot on the brake the entire car starts to vibrate. I can't pinpoint where it's coming from. As soon as I put the car in either park or neutral it goes away. It also goes away while driving down the road.

What should I check for?
Old 09-20-2006, 01:28 PM
Launching!

I would also describe the the vibration as a "pulsing" vibration if that helps.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's your in gear idle speed? Park and neutral (stock) is higher - plus there's less load on the engine. Does it go away in gear, foot on the brake and increasing RPMs a little?
Old 09-21-2006, 05:48 AM
Launching!

My idle speed is stock, around 700 or so. It does go away if I hold the brake and increase revs. Is it possible it could be a loose bracket on my exhaust at all? My mom's Explorer was doing something similar to this a few years ago and it ended up being a loose exhaust bracket.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Launching!

bump....
Old 09-22-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A loose exhaust hanger or heat shield, exhaust hitting something, etc. would probably just make a rattle sound, not make the whole car vibrate. I'd suggest getting it on a drive on lift somewhere and see if you can duplicate it if you think it's exhaust related.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:53 PM
v-8
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
A loose exhaust hanger or heat shield, exhaust hitting something, etc. would probably just make a rattle sound, not make the whole car vibrate. I'd suggest getting it on a drive on lift somewhere and see if you can duplicate it if you think it's exhaust related.

If you have long tube headers i would check to see if your y-pipe is touching the floor.
Old 09-22-2006, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

I had a Saturn that did that. Never could find what was causing it. No mechanic could either. Finally a cylinder head cracked so that's when I got my Camaro.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:27 AM
Launching!

no headers

anyone else have an idea?
Old 09-25-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's some ideas to check,.....

1.) Have you messed with the EGR at all?(EGR Mod)
If you have,.......then it could be the rubber ring on the EGR tube not set right(air leak). Usually that causes a pulsating vibration at idle. I know,..It happened to me 2 months ago. If you haven't,.still might want to check it out. Sometimes it happens all on its own without you touch'n it.

2.) Check all your intake seals after the MAF.(related to above) If you have a leak somewhere,....its gonna screw up your idle. This means your MAF to your Bellow seal, your Bellow to your TB seal and your TB to your Intake seal. check em and make sure that you have a good seal between em.

If those don't fix it then these could be the culprets......(be advised,.if it isn't any of the things ive listed above,....then it isn't an intake issue at all.)

3.) A misfire(check your plugs) If you use alot of octain boost back to back,.then it can screw em up. Then again,.when was the last time you swapped your plugs out? Stock ones are good for up to 100K miles according to the manual. (this doesn't mean you should follow that instruction) Sometimes plugs go bad,...quick!

4.) A bad Cat/s...... Yea,.this one,.you don't want! But this only really becomes an issue after 80K miles or so.