General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fuel Tank Wierd?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Tank Wierd?

My car used to read over F when it was full now it goes to 3/4 when its full and 1/4 has 5-6 gallons left.. used to be empty.. wtf??? i never know when shes gonna run out of gas now

my mechanic said when u install new pumps backwards it reads half to 3/4 but thats not the case so im thinking the floats fucked up or what?

Last edited by Gun5; 10-01-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like the something could be wrong with the float to me to....pull it
Old 10-02-2006, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by staringback05
sounds like the something could be wrong with the float to me to....pull it
pull the whole tank down or what
Old 10-02-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

check the pump also....that you can just pull without dropping the tank
Old 10-02-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

check the pump also....that you can just pull without dropping the tank
i swear u had to drop the rear/ all that **** to take that **** off... iv never messed with the fuel stuff except the filter so im pretty lost when it comes to that
Old 10-02-2006, 12:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

the pump sits on the top of the tank....which is right where the hump is behind the rear seat...well in my ta at least....pull the carpet up and check and see if you can access it from there...(i cant remember right off hand)....if you cant you can always cut it and place a piece of clear plastic over it....many of my guys have done that....anyways...cutting a 6x6 hole is alot easier then dropping your whole backside....besides later on if you have issues with the pump you can do it that way....if you need more details let me know
Old 10-02-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

the metal is about 1mm thick and directly in the middle but closer to the drop in the trunk....if you udnerstand what im saying....like i said this will be alot easier to access the pump from now on if you take this route
Old 10-03-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

the pump sits on the top of the tank....which is right where the hump is behind the rear seat...well in my ta at least....pull the carpet up and check and see if you can access it from there...(i cant remember right off hand)....if you cant you can always cut it and place a piece of clear plastic over it....many of my guys have done that....anyways...cutting a 6x6 hole is alot easier then dropping your whole backside....besides later on if you have issues with the pump you can do it that way....if you need more details let me know

it goes like this when the back seats down

/-------\ /
/ \ /
___/ \--/

wheres the hump u speak of?
Old 10-03-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

hmm im kinda lost on the drawing.....but you know how you have a deep trunk?....well do you notice how it rises, flattens out and meets the back seat?....the pump is between the back seat and the deep area of the trunk its squarely in the middle from right to left and slightly towards the back from front to back......got me?
Old 10-03-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

hmm im kinda lost on the drawing.....but you know how you have a deep trunk?....well do you notice how it rises, flattens out and meets the back seat?....the pump is between the back seat and the deep area of the trunk its squarely in the middle from right to left and slightly towards the back from front to back......got me?
got ya my drawing got all messed up damn html.. anyways is there any markings on the metal? I wont hit the gas tank?
Old 10-03-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

like i said its about 1mm thick....the pump should already be sticking out of the top of the tank...just cut a small hole in the top body alumn and see how much room you have....then follow it around....no matter how big a hole you have to cut....you can always cover it up with a piece of clear plastic and the carpet....10x easier then dropping the rear out
Old 10-04-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

like i said its about 1mm thick....the pump should already be sticking out of the top of the tank...just cut a small hole in the top body alumn and see how much room you have....then follow it around....no matter how big a hole you have to cut....you can always cover it up with a piece of clear plastic and the carpet....10x easier then dropping the rear out
dremel or something with a little metal cutting bit should work could u get me exact measures and ill cut a box according to that..
Old 10-04-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

id actually use those metal cuting scissors....that way you can take it slow...some people get carried away with a sawzaw, or dremel or whatever...