General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Changing Fluids

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Changing Fluids

I have yet to change my differential fluid or automatic transmission fluid, I just dont have that much time. Is it worth taking it to valvoline or somewhere and have them do the tranny for 100 bucks? Car has 49k miles.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my tranny bymyself and i'm only 20 with my first f-body but it's only a v6. But when I did it it took prolly 45 min or so. If I was you i'd do it myself to save some money. All you have to do is take off the bolts off the tranny and drop it down dump the old fluid out, then change the filter which just pulls right off and put the new on back in and then put a new gasket on it and put the pan back on and then fill it with fluid. Drive it around for a few min to let it circulate and all that good stuff. Also when ur taking the pan off some is going to spill out so make sure you got something there to catch it and do it when it's cold cause I did it when it was hot without any gloves on and it kinda burnt just a lil. LoL

Oh and also I've never done differential yet so I dunno how hard that is.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Differential gear oil is same concept but even easier.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

drop the pan and filter and first see what color the fluid is....seeing as you havent changed it in 50k miles,it could be ok but if its pretty dark...id stay away from flushing it....in an a4 if you dont change the fluid reguraly, they have sometimes been known to fail when a new fluid flush has occured....just dropping the pan and filter will only change like 3/10 of the fluid because the other 7/10 is up in the tranny....so it wont hurt to change the pan fluid.... but it also wont really help anything....if you need more info ask me or one the tranny sponsors....theyll tell you the same thing really
Old 10-13-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

I don't think anyone read your "I don't have the time" part of your post. Yes, take it to a reputable place (GM dealer may be expensive but the fluid and parts will be right) and get it done to prevent any problems. That $100-$150 is nothing compared to what a potential repair would be. Don't forget your fuel filter too. Easy to overlook sometimes.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just had my tranny and differential serviced, and im running the royal purple in my tranny and differential with a limited slip additive.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just use regular ATF right? no synthetic. How do I know if I need the limited slip additive. Car is a 2001 A4 with 2.73's.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Launching!

Hmmmz I thought that all the fluid was down in there. So I got too much fluid in my tranny then cause when I took the pan off and emptied it I refilled it with 4 or 5 quarts of fluid. So should I take the pan back off and empty that and it'll be fine or just leave it be cause it's been like that for a few months and it still shifts smooth and all that stuff?
Old 10-14-2006, 12:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if youve already just dropped the pan and changed that fluid and didnt flush the whole tranny....you might as well leave it...4 qrts is about right