General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dumbest, simplest fix you've done to your car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try starting the car w/ the key for the door. it doesnt work!
Old 10-15-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't say I did anything easy :-S The previous owner tried to make a strip car out of mine so it required a little work. Got it cheap at least.

Drop the tank 3 times. Once for fuel pump. Two trying to figure out the wiring for fuel pressure sensor and ABS.

Take apart column to replace clockwork spring.

Finding speakers with OEM connectors on them to replace jerry-rigged Auto system. I hate aftermarket audio. So dumb.

I have spent hours trying to figure out how the previous owner 'disabled' the ABS and ASR even though I hate those systems anyways!!!!!

Looking back all the stuff would have been much simplier if I had known the Fbody beforehand. I feel like I wasted alot of time figuring it all out until I found this site.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was trying to figure out why I had been running so rich, having backfires, losing to stock trans-ams. My tuner scanned it and sais I was having alot of misfires on the 6 and8 cylenders.

The goddamn spark plug wires werent on....
Old 10-15-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by staringback05
hearing a clunk in the rear and spending all day checking suspension.....and it end up being the damn spare tire bolt

had a rattling sound in the back and couldn't work it out

spare tire bolt was loose and rattling like crazy.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

In between fbodies I had a rental lancer and I drove it home and tested all the buttons and stuff. Later that day I hear a big clunking noise from the back and the rear tire burning so I drove back to the enterprise. They sent me to the tire shop confused since the tire was new. I got back in and realized the ebrake was on. lol
Old 10-15-2006, 11:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pewterpower
On my neighbor's truck:

Damn thing wouldn't start, not even a click. It was fine the night before.
We undid all the posts, all the grounds, etc... cleaned them all up. Still nothing. Checked fuses, took readings, etc... still nothing.

THE DAMN THING WAS NOT IN PARK !!!
Same thing with my dad's car. I washed it in and out for him and did an oil change. He had an important meeting in the morning. I mustve clicked the shifter halfway between park and reverse so it wasnt apparent. I was sooo worried because i thought i broke his car. I reset the computer and stuff. It took a lot of force to get it baack into park so i know i mustve accidentally pushed it over.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

took me like two weeks after I bought the car to have my friend point to the serpentine belt and say "dude that's not good". and after we took it off he stuck his head in the belt where I had a crack in it lol.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Changed the serpentine belt & got rid of a squeel I thought was an idler pully or the A/C unit.
Me too. I puzzled over a squeal in my truck for over 2 years. I even changed the idler pulley. Then the inspection place told me I had to change the belt before it would pass. I didn't think it was very bad. Well what do you know, no more squeal!
Old 10-17-2006, 12:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pewter Pro-Tec
My 87 Fox body wouldn't start. This was way back about 12-13 yrs ago. No lights, nothing. I thought it was a dead battery. I had it towed back home. It was just a dirty positive terminal.

Also just this morning came out of a convenience store with my coffee. Started my Fox up and it started shaking. I figured it was someone I knew messing with me shaking my rear bumper. I revved it up repeatedly and put it in reverse to warn the facker that I was backing up. It stopped after about 5 seconds and I didn't see anybody run out from back. I just found out now about 30 minutes later that it was a magnitude 6.5 earthquake that was shaking the car!

Could have been a couple having sex in the back of yer car!
Old 10-17-2006, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

nothing here, but good to read i'm not the only one who makes stupid mistakes, and "fixes" broken things sometimes.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Putting the scissor jack under your rear diff is dangerous and a bad idea. always use the propper lift points!

I dont have any cool easy fix storys. but there are some good ones here.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Driving round with a loud rattling noise for weeks! pulled wheels off greased everything i could find that would rattle or squeek, wrapped an old towel round spare tire to stop it banging, noise never went away! started to think wheel bearings had gone & called up to get a quote on some new ones!
Then a few days later driving round i decided to look over my shoulder & there in the rear cup holder was the little metal holder for my soldering iron i had put there some weeks earlier & forgotten about! removed it & hey presto no more noise!
Felt thick as pig **** after that
Old 10-18-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by N3V3RL8T
Putting the scissor jack under your rear diff is dangerous and a bad idea. always use the propper lift points!

I dont have any cool easy fix storys. but there are some good ones here.
and hes still alive.....
Old 10-18-2006, 03:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

so i went out and purchased my trans am...i got in the drivers seat and couldnt figure out how to start it up...turns out i was using a giraffe in place of the key...

i then shook my head and laughed to myself..."why did u use a giraffe?"
Old 10-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Teching In

I was hearing a peculiar and very annoying buzz/rattle/hum coming from the center console at about 40MPH. The buzz ended up being from the stock coin-dispenser's springs. I put 3 coins in each slot to put a small load on the springs and the buzz went away.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:55 PM
Launching!

1) Before I knew about the dreaded opti problem my car died. Replaced the fuel pump (becasue a gm mechanic told me it wasnt runnignt he right pressure) fuel filter, icm, plugs, wires, only to find out later that the rotor in the opti blew up into like 4 pieces

2) When i put the headers in my car I had a horrible misfire at anything over idle. Im thinking great opti went again. So before i replaced my opti I did plugs, wires (I wanted over the cover wires anyway), then it ran for a while, but kinda rich. So I pulled some plugs and thought they looked bad, replaced plugs again. Ran for about 100 miles, then started acting up again. Come to find out 3 of the wires are in a bad spot and kept working off the plugs. DUH
Old 11-02-2006, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

This has got to be one of the most interesting (and humerous) threads in a long time. I need to add another from the other day:

For the past 3 weeks, I've been slowly going insane, hearing a ruffeling sound, seemed to be coming from under the car, around the console/seat area. I'd only hear it at rpms 2k and below. It sounded like there was a leaf or something stuck under the car, but of course nothing was there.

So yesterday I got fed up with it, got on a straight path, set the cruise control to 45 in 5th so I was able to hear the sound, while I examined the interior.

I manged to touch just about everything with no luck, until I squeezed the small switch I mounted to my shift handle/boot (for the line lock). Its a hurst switch made of 2 pieces of plastic snapped together.

Well now the 2 plastic parts are also tapped together, to avoid any vibrations!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

1.) I've changed a front hub when in fact the noise was feathered tires (but in my defense a shop told me that was the problem).
2.) I've changed rear axle bearings when in fact it was an oversized cheapy rotor rubbing on the caliper under cornering end play.
3.) I dropped a transmission pan 3 times for a shift kit install. 1st drop as normal, 2nd drop due to flipped gasket (dunno wtf I was thinking), 3rd drop found a misplaced check ball. That experience fried me.
4.) The fact that it took me a summer and a half to figure out the !HS mod. That design flaw jumped out at me the 1st day I had my new Z.

I'm thinking the 5th stupid thing on this list might be dynamating my doors. Hoping and praying that I have rock solid window motors.

Currently I'm trying to figure out why the passenger side *** end of my car sits a good 3/4" lower (uneven) after a 10 bolt swap assembly for assembly. Hoping that I'll eventually find something stupid.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Starting the car for the first time after the Procharger install, I noticed all the tubing to the airbox was collapsing on itself. As it turns out, the air filter can't get that much air if its still wrapped in a plastic bag.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm still waiting for my magical fix!!! I have this damn ticking noise on the right rear rotor. If I touch the brakes, it stops! I've replaced the rotor and had the car running off the ground to see if I can find it. No dice. I asked a fellow f-body guy and I think I have an idea now.

I always thought the sound was the right front for a year till I had someone drive with me a listen. I replaced the hub and switched them back n forth, changed everything dealing with the front brakes too.

Quick Reply: Dumbest, simplest fix you've done to your car?