General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dumbest, simplest fix you've done to your car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a year or so ago i my 84 Z28 was reading a little high on the voltmeter. i didnt really think much of it.

one day i was driving and the rpms dropped, then sputtered as did the car. smoke poured out from the voltmeter and tach. i pulled over onto a side street as smoke came out from under the hood. i quickly popped it and took off the terminal before the battery blew up or something.

i told it to my one friend who is into cars and knew more than me at the time. sort of. i tell him the story and he says it most likely is a bad ground or a bad wire from the gauges. i take the entire dash out, everything. and look for burnt wires. or something. nothing. i take the alternator into autozone and have them test it. dead (as i figured) i thought what the hell and bought another alternator. put the dash back in and the car ran fine.

never listening to him again
Old 07-08-2010, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Had a vibration and rattling issue with my 01 Formula. I knew it was something simple... and it was. Torque arm bolts were finger tight... Tightened them up .. no more vibration.. no more noise.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Launching!

SES light came on the dash, read po420, catalyst inefficiency. Replaced a bunch of stuff, ended up being a dirty air filter.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Default OMGs

1968 Camaro built motor back in the day. Car is running great one day and i had done the super tune on it about a week before==Plugs,,rotor dist cap for those that still know what those are. The car ran great. I go out to start it and it wont start,,,,wont do nothing,,,,i check everything and cannot figure it out..It had a big ole solid in it,, high compression Holley 850 bad small block. I think it must have jumped time,,,plug wires are hot,,,MSD is firing ,,it has gas,,,I pull it down to timing chain and everything looks good.......I think well all that is left is the plugs...which it cant be cuz i just changed them a week ago. i put a set of plugs in it and the bitch fires right up........Lesson learned !!!!!!!!!!!
Same car later it is shutting off under WOT at about 4500 rpms and ,,it has a 4speed in it and will buzz 7500 all day. i check everything again and cannnnot find it ...then it hits me ==take the air cleaner off of it..i throw it in the yard and by now i have made 50 runs in first with it choking down at 4500 everytime,,,but guess what not this time....it was one of those triangle shaped hard plastic inside holding the foam in it //well the plastic had become weak and that high winding beast would suck it into the Holley carb and cut off the air and there u go....then when you let off it would bend back into place...Cheap POS but that was the late 70s early 80s

Quick Reply: Dumbest, simplest fix you've done to your car?