General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dumbest, simplest fix you've done to your car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 06:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had bought a 77 Jeep CJ-7, that the owners could not get running after they had replaced the rusted out hood and fenders. I almost felt bad when I realized the reason it wouldnt start was that the starter solenoid was mounted to the newly installed fiberglass fender. A quick ground wire to the solenoid and she ran like a champ. I got one hell of a deal due to an electrical oversight. It turned out to be the most fun vehicle I ever owned. Now on my third Jeep, but it has a lot more creature comforts.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:25 AM
Launching!

Removed a plastic grocery bag from air box. Car wouldn't idle. Stumbled at high rpms. Thought I blew it up with the nirrous!! HaHa
Old 03-31-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I installing the dreaded optispark I didn't align the splines correctly and not thinking went to start the engine and it was backfiring like crazy out of the intake. So I thought that maybe I didn't adjust the valves right...that didn't work so after a half dozen times of doing that and a couple weeks later I finally discovered my mistake and the engine fired right up.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by David_viny
Not really a fix, but I didn't know there was a flip out cup holder on the center console for like 6 months when I bought my TA. Now I use it all the time.
took me about 6 months to find this as well. didnt notice it until i was stuck in traffic one day and way looking around the cabin area.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by staringback05
hearing a clunk in the rear and spending all day checking suspension.....and it end up being the damn spare tire bolt

lol, i just went through this!!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

really dumb....The day after I bought my 98 camaro I was replacing a blown tranny at an auto hobby shop. I was calling it quits for the day and locked the doors before going home. I stood there waiting for the lights on the rear view mirrors to go out but after 5 minutes they were still on. I checked everything I could and finally out of frustration diked the wires. The next day I looked again and found the dim switch all the way up to "on"
Old 04-03-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a CEL today, so I checked it out... I had a cylinder 3 misfire. I looked, and plugged the wire back in.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One time at the track when I was poor and raced a 86 Pontiac Acadian, I broke the throttle cable, so I had to improvise something, so I took the cable that controled the heater damper and attached it to the carb. Made it to the second round that day and had a make shift cruise control until I got it fixed.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

after i installed my 9" i kept hearing a scraping/rubbing noise when i turned and when i hit bumps it sounded like it was bottoming out. i tried everything, but couldn't find anything. then while i was getting gas a week later i saw two cast iron frying pans, that had been sliding around and hitting each other, sitting in my rear floor board from when i was moving out of my girlfriends house.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

hit a deer and destroyed my headlight, only had the plastic lens and the bulb...tin foil and rtv sealant kept water out and made it reflective
Old 04-12-2010, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

Went WOT one day, instant backfire at letoff, flashing ses, said cylinder number 1 missfire. Plugwire unbent itself and burned itself in two. replaced with used stocker/heat sleeve.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Default idle air control valve

i had an error code on my camaro turns out to be my idle air control valve the car was idling higher than normal so i find and buy the valve 100.00 dollars. so i installed it nothing changed! so i start looking around the throttle body and i find a small hole in the vacuum hose under the throttle body so i removed it and took it to my local auto parts store ask for the same one they dont have it but they found a rubber hose same size openings and let me have it for FREE... moral of the story do a thorough inspect before you go and buy a 100 dollar part thats not needed.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Teching In

I chased a cold idle shake for nearly three years before I finally realized that it was an aftermarket harmonic balancer than had rubber in it that was too stiff when cold.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

Changed out pads on my daily but couldnt figure out why the pedal was so slow to return and why the pads were rubbing on acceleration. Turns out i rotated one of the calipers once too much and kinked the hose.........and im ase certified on brakes
Old 04-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

my car smelled like something was burning but no fire or smoke. paranoid, i drove like that for two days.

after bitching at the car and checking under the hood hundreds of times, i looked under it and found out a bag was melted on to the exhaust pipe
Old 04-22-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 9silverbird8
Starting the car for the first time after the Procharger install, I noticed all the tubing to the airbox was collapsing on itself. As it turns out, the air filter can't get that much air if its still wrapped in a plastic bag.

Did they when I degreassed my engine on my old vehicle with a cone filter. covered it to clean the engine, but never took the bag off. Deformed the filter in seconds.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

hit a curb once and about 2 years later i heard a loud series of clunks every time i turned my wheels. it got so bad after about 6 months i thought something was going to completely break. thought it was the wheel bearing, the spindle, the shocks, the springs, etc but never really had a clue. i had all the parts ready to order when a friend on this board (mitchntx) said "hey why don't you call this shop and have them look before you start tearing **** apart on your car, since you don't really know what the problem is." so i did, and within 10 minutes they said, "your camber bolt was loose. we tightened it up for you." and i haven't had a problem since.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tuffluck
hit a curb once and about 2 years later i heard a loud series of clunks every time i turned my wheels. it got so bad i thought something was going to completely break. thought it was the wheel bearing, the spindle, the shocks, the springs, etc. i had all the parts ready to order when a friend on this board (mitchntx) said "hey why don't you call this shop and have them look before you start tearing **** apart on your car, since you don't really know what the problem is." so i did, and within 10 minutes they said, "your camber bolt was loose. we tightened it up for you." and i haven't had a problem since.
Oh man! hahahahaha! I just picked up my car from the shop and they said the same thing to me.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove my car for two weeks with a random misfire, I couldnt figure it out. Finally I got a code. Cylinder3 misfire, sure enough, i pulled plug 3 and there was a tiny hairline crack in it.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

i had a story that could have gone in the books for a lot of people.

i changed my alternator and then got in the car while the car was still jacked up and cranked it. for some reason it was idling about 100rpms. wtf??? i thought i forgot to plug something back in or i tore some wire when i installed my alternator. so i thought about it for about 30 seconds and then said, "wait, i'm low on gas, i wonder if while the car was jacked up, all the gas sank to the back of the fuel tank?" so, i lowered the car from being jacked up, cranked it, and it was fine.

i could see that taking a lot of people 4 hours to figure out!!!

Quick Reply: Dumbest, simplest fix you've done to your car?