General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dumbest, simplest fix you've done to your car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a hair up my *** one day to coat my shorties. Took them off painted blah blah... Waited a couple days and put it all back together. Started it up and tried to move it. Ran like ****! No power and misfire from hell. Walked through everything over and over. Couldn't figure it out! Gave up. Came back later pop the hood and looking right at me there it is. Didn't hook up the passenger side coils! WTF!?
Old 06-13-2010, 04:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Spent thirty minutes the other day looking for my keys, I knew I had them in the car and couldnt for the life of me figure out where they went. I was on the phone with my girlfriend bitching about all the time I was waisting looking for my keys. She says "Whats that dinging sound, have you looked in the ignition?" We will leave it at that.......
Old 06-14-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

in business i do sometimes i have to wear suits/hang stuff in my car. the stock hanger clips in the rear seat area slip or fall off, so between the posts of my drivers seat i connected some chrome shower rings together and ta-da: clothes hanger that with the headrest down no one can see except when riding in the back, and the hangers stay put, no matter if the tops are off.

easy fix? leaned on my ashtray cover and snapped the plastic pin that holds it in, drilled a hole and replaced with a small bolt.

stupidest thing? the first trick i ever learned to washing a car... dont EVER have your wiper arms up, then pop/open your hood. (anyone have a driver side wiper arm??? lol)
Old 06-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Teching In

one time I kept on blowing the radio fuse while driving around town. im thinking what the hell could this be? Hours later after Ive gone througt about 5 fuses I realize that when i took my amp out the remote cable was touching the metal in the spare tire area blowing a fuse each time it touched... lol i pulled apart so much trying to find something wrong.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Teching In

I put my summer wheels on (which I drove on all last summer) and I immediately started getting a bumpy ride and hard pulling to one side. I had recently hit a pothole so I was thinking maybe my shocks were blown or something else was broken with the suspension. A friend suggested I check my wheel balance. Sure enough, two of them were way off. $40 and the car feels like it's brand new. I was about to blow $500 on shocks, alignment, etc.

Discount tire didn't balance the wheels when they put the tires on...
Old 06-14-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Not on my f-body, but still.

Washed the entire engine with a **** load of choke cleaner. Car started to run like total crap, missing and sputtering.

I could not figure it out. . . Took it to a stealership, they raped me for almost 500 Bucks for random BS like a throttle body cleaning. . . .

I get the car back, it runs the same(really). I was so pissed, get under the hood and some how get the ide to grab the plug wires. Yup, got shocked to living ****.

The choke cleaner ate through the plug wire insulation and it fired like ****. . . .

Yep, stealerships rock. . . . . . Get a set of 12 Dollar plug wires, it ran like new.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:54 PM

I tore down my rear calipers for some freshening up with black paint and new pads (massively expensive carbon-thingie-pads). I put everything together and take it for a test drive, and notice a lot of scraping noise from the rear brakes.

Thinking its because of the brand new pads i drive home, get out of the car just to notice brake fluid dripping from the rear brakes.

Tear the **** down again only to realize i forgot to actually install the brake pads...the scraping noise was the calipers touching the discs lol
Old 06-15-2010, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Formula_Calle

Tear the **** down again only to realize i forgot to actually install the brake pads...the scraping noise was the calipers touching the discs lol

Damn. . . . . Almost as good as the guy next door who put his pads on backwards. . . . That was something
Old 06-16-2010, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Happened this week...I dont have enough space to explain. I'll just give you the link so you can get the whole story.

P.S. I know its supposed to be 3rd!!!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ft-issues.html
Old 06-16-2010, 05:29 PM

cam position sensor was left unplugged so i couldnt figure out why my tach wasnt working AT ALL...48 hours of research and 4 seconds of work later it was fine.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going with replacing the flasher to speed up the incredibly slow turn signals.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car has had a "tick" coming from under the hood for a while now, probably about 6 months to a year. I have wasted countless hours stressing of what it could be, trying to pinpoint the sound and researching ls1tech. Narrowed it down to the driver side bank and thats as far as I got. Figured maybe it was "piston slap" or an exhaust leak, something like that. In the back of my mind I couldn't help but think that it might be a bad lifter. Last week I was cleaning up the engine bay after doing the TB coolant bypass mod, went to wipe the sweet red MSD plug wires down and the wire felt loose on the #5 cylinder. I pulled the wire off the plug and when I went to pop it back on I felt for where the plug was to help aim the wire on, and then.....it happened.......the damn plug wiggled when i touched it. F-A-I-L. Tightened the plug, put everything back to together and now my car seems much happier and a no more "ticking". This whole time the noise had been becuase of a loose spark plug on cylinder #5.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

i've been driving a ranger for about 2 years and a while back noticed at night the gauge cluster lights were very dim to where you could barely make out the gauges at night. i just dealt with it for a few months and then accidently bumped a little roller switch right next to the headlight switch that adjusts the brightness of the interior lights and BADOW! my gauge cluster lights got bright as day! i facepalmed and kept on going.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, when i bought my trans am it was the first car i owned with a key fob. but for some reason i couldn't unlock my passenger side door with it. when ever i had to put stuff on the passenger side i would have to unlock the drivers door, get in, and manually unlock the passenger door. same deal for people getting in. it got old so one day i got on to a local forum and asked another f-body guy about it. his answer "dude, hit the unlock button twice".

it was about 3 months into ownership that i found the elusive cup holder. when i found it i was like a kid on christmas morning. i showed it to friends and family, and even people i didn't know at the gas station. it was glorious!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LSXNV
well, when i bought my trans am it was the first car i owned with a key fob. but for some reason i couldn't unlock my passenger side door with it. when ever i had to put stuff on the passenger side i would have to unlock the drivers door, get in, and manually unlock the passenger door. same deal for people getting in. it got old so one day i got on to a local forum and asked another f-body guy about it. his answer "dude, hit the unlock button twice".

it was about 3 months into ownership that i found the elusive cup holder. when i found it i was like a kid on christmas morning. i showed it to friends and family, and even people i didn't know at the gas station. it was glorious!
HAHA. I can only picture you saying that like Will Farrel in 'Old School'

Both good stories, lol.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Couldn't get my new outter tie rod ends to slip into the knuckle. Everything I read here may it seem soooo easy. Tried banging it down, greasing it. Nothing- no way it would fit. Had them in upside down- they go in from the bottom.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:29 AM
Teching In

Car wouldn't start on occasion, randomly and without reason. Tried the VATS fix and thought it was good to go. Not so much. Tried swapping relays, still not fixed. Replaced the clutch safety switch. Nope. Replaced the ignition switch. Nothing. I'm really beating my head against the wall, and by now its dead in the driveway. My brother walks up while i'm trying to start it and shakes the starter relay, it fires right up. Spread the prongs on the bottom of the relay and haven't had a problem out of it since. At least it was cheap.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

No turn signals whatsoever, replaced the bulbs, replaced the flasher, almost replaces the sockets......... bad fuse.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:55 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had the sensor on the back of the radiator crap out on me. The light on the dash was driving me crazy. I am pretty sure I know when my car is overheating. All I ended up doing was leaving the sensor attached and just disconnected the harness. No more light. Problem solved!
Old 06-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Teching In

I had a 87 firebird in high school and on day on my way to school a couple blocks out it felt like it was shutting off. At one point midway in a left turn it did shut off. I was able to start it back up again and keep it running long enough to drive it into the parking lot.

I checked everything and it was parked right next to autotech class so I had my buddies and teacher check it also and we were all stumped. Well I had installed some custom made white faced gauge overlays a few weeks ago and the adhesive was coming undone near the gas gauge and held the needle around 1/3 of a tank, but in fact I was completely empty.

Quick Reply: Dumbest, simplest fix you've done to your car?