General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dumbest, simplest fix you've done to your car?

Old 10-13-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumbest, simplest fix you've done to your car?

So what was the easiest fix-it you've done to your car that made you look dumb towards yourself for not recognizing it earlier? When I bought my car, the ashtray lid was loose when I opened it. The rear end would sink into the console, so I had to wiggle it a little bit to get it fully opened. Today I was fidgeting with the lid trying to figure out why it was broken, or so I thought. I pulled out the ashtray it self and accidently dropped it on the center console. It amazing bounced off of the console onto my leg and back into the ashtray pocket. So I pushed the ashtray down snug to make sure it wouldn't move, and closed the lid. I went to reopen it and it reopened like it was never broken. I had to laugh at myself for accidently fixing my "broken" ashtray lid.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nope, no one here. I think it has just been you.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:43 PM
10 Second Club

None on my car but I had a good one with my Silverado. My cargo lamp wasn't going on when I would open my door. I couldn't figure it out. Spent a couple of hours checking fuses, bulbs, and chasing wires. It was then that I saw a nice big button marked CARGO LAMP. I pressed it, and the ******* thing worked!!!

I felt like such a jackass considering I had owned the truck for more than two years. lol.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it took me about 2 months to find the cup holder in my car
Old 10-13-2006, 07:40 PM
12 Second Club

On my neighbor's truck:

Damn thing wouldn't start, not even a click. It was fine the night before.
We undid all the posts, all the grounds, etc... cleaned them all up. Still nothing. Checked fuses, took readings, etc... still nothing.

THE DAMN THING WAS NOT IN PARK !!!
Old 10-13-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

/\ Similar problem with my friend's truck. She was driving one of family members' F-250. When she got to our friend's apartment, she couldn't get the key out. I went out to the truck with her and spent 20 minutes twisting and turning, pressing buttons, looking through the owners manual, when finally I noticed that the shift lever said D.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Launching!

hehe maybe not simple but i still laugh everytime i remember, on my old 78' K5 blazer the gas pedal line which goes to the carb. was broken, what i did untill the day i sold it was gettin one of my bass strings and cut it to length and it worked like a magic. amazing.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:58 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my car was losing that new car smell so i put an air freshener on the rearview mirror. pretty easy mod.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:49 PM

Changed the serpentine belt & got rid of a squeel I thought was an idler pully or the A/C unit.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:53 PM
12 Second Club

had a lot of play in my stearing wheel since i got my car them i read a post on the same problem and i tryed what you guys said and it worked. stearing shaft bolt at the rack wasent tight all the way.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:55 PM
Launching!

My car wouldn't start one day... so I just added gas.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by qwikz28
it took me about 2 months to find the cup holder in my car
! thank god im not the only one, wow.

stupidest fix? my front, driver side panel got pushed up from some jack at a machine shop, so i unbolted the bottom, and bolted it flush with the rest of the car...
yeah, it was that easy
Old 10-15-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

For me, I noticed one night on the rearview mirror, the drivers side light was not coming on, but the pass side worked normally.

Okay fine, I figured it was the bulb. I searched all I could to find the bult rating/size, went to the shack the next day at lunch break to buy the bulb. no problem.

I got home from work that night to change out the blown out bulb, once I popped off the lens cover, the damn stock bulb lite up!

I was able to snap the lens back on, start the car, shut it off, tested the switch, doors, etc...its working perfectly now.

...go figure....

anyone need a spare bulb? :-)
Old 10-15-2006, 10:34 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Originally Posted by Pewterpower
On my neighbor's truck:

Damn thing wouldn't start, not even a click. It was fine the night before.
We undid all the posts, all the grounds, etc... cleaned them all up. Still nothing. Checked fuses, took readings, etc... still nothing.

THE DAMN THING WAS NOT IN PARK !!!

After buying some stuff, I was trying to make a quick get-away, and went to start teh truck I was driving, and it wouldnt start. So There I was in a bad part of town, with a truck taht wouldnt start, I tried everything, almost called a tow truck, but them I found out I wasn't in park...
Old 10-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

built a 425hp 350 for my s10 put it in and it wouldnt start double checked everything thought when i degreed the cam i must have messedup pulled it apart put it back in with out degreeing still wouldnt start put 5 gal of gas in it and it started. thought it had gas in it since i drove in the garage when i pulled the motor. what a dumass
Old 10-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

The cigarette lighter in our Avalanche didn't work but the accessory plug (mounted to the right of the lighter) was fine.

Swapped the lighter, ripped the console apart to trace wiring and look for a loose connector. Finally started tracing wires to do a continuity check..... when I found the damn blown fuse.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was driving down the highway and felt a crazy shuddering in the back passenger side... so i slowly pull off onto a side street, and right as i stop there is a huge explosion. I jump out and look and find a perfect tread wrapped around my wheel, but no sidewall. At all. It was in like a 5 yard radius around the car haha.

Anyway, i think "no problem" and break out the crappy jack (i got a hydraulic one after this BS) and get to work
at first i use the jack point in front of the wheel... which starts to bend the sideskirt, so i stop doing that. So i put it farther back under the car and jack it up, but only the body is going up and the wheel is still on the ground!! I'm freaking out now becauset here is like more than a foot of space int he wheel well between my wheel and the wheelwell.

So i check and see if i have a broken axle... nope. Check if the shock or spring is broken... doesn't seem like it. I call a tow truck bc i think someone is seriously wrong. Then i magically think, I'll give the jacka couple more twists (i've already put it up and down like 5 times at this point) and the wheel moves an inch off the ground. Sigh, so i canceled the tow truck and made myself look silly.

By the way, if you need to jack up the back of the car, just put it under the rear end housing... sigh.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

dumbest? probably rebuilding the 10 bolt and 4l60e
Old 10-15-2006, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

My 87 Fox body wouldn't start. This was way back about 12-13 yrs ago. No lights, nothing. I thought it was a dead battery. I had it towed back home. It was just a dirty positive terminal.

Also just this morning came out of a convenience store with my coffee. Started my Fox up and it started shaking. I figured it was someone I knew messing with me shaking my rear bumper. I revved it up repeatedly and put it in reverse to warn the facker that I was backing up. It stopped after about 5 seconds and I didn't see anybody run out from back. I just found out now about 30 minutes later that it was a magnitude 6.5 earthquake that was shaking the car!
Old 10-15-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hearing a clunk in the rear and spending all day checking suspension.....and it end up being the damn spare tire bolt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dumbest, simplest fix you've done to your car?