General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Dumbest, simplest fix you've done to your car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 05:45 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

car died on me one day. I was wondering what the **** could be wrong, so i paid 50 bucks for a tow. The next day I bought a battery and it still didn't start, than I replaced plugs and wires. what it was, i ran out of gas. apparently my gauge is off. so I fill up at a 1/4 tank all the time....
Old 11-03-2006, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i was 16... first car was a 1985 trans am. i brought it home all my friends there to check it out after a little while, i go to start it nothing. i have power but no go. i start to tear into it and am beating the starter checking fuses everything but to no avail. i accidently kick the kill switch getting in again and she fires right up no problem minus the dents in the starter..
Old 11-03-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One day after school, i went out to my car (beater honda) and it doesnt do anything. I turn the key on, and nothing comes on, no click, no lights, no nothing, so i check all my terminals, check all my fuses, and so someone tells me it may be a main fuse or relay. So i take out my fuse box, and some relays, and mess with them. I try it one more time, with my auto tech teacher there. He gets into the car, messes with it some, and then he looks over, and sees that i left my lights on. So we try to jump the car off, and it starts.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:07 PM
High on diesel fumes

Started up my truck after changing intake manifold gaskets because I thought I had a leak. Running really rough, holds idle speed but everything is shaking really bad. I'm thinking ****, I'm going to have to pull the thing apart again. Decided to double-check everything. Found my passenger side coil pack unplugged. Plugged it in and it ran fine after that. Oops.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Swapped torque converters at a buddy's shop 90 miles from home. Finished it on a Sunday afternoon and had to get back home. Car would hardly move and puked most of the fluid back out the dipstick tube. Immediately started freaking out about how I was gonna get home & wtf was wrong. Went into total panic for an hour or so going over everything in my head, then realized the vent tube had to be pinched in the tq arm mount....sure enough, reached under the car & unplugged the vent tube and it ran great. Still haven't taken the time to get under there to free up the tube and plug it back in
Old 11-03-2006, 04:45 PM
High on diesel fumes

Oh, I have a dumb recent one.

I have been having problems with my tranny shuddering on light acceleration and it seemed like it was skipping 3rd gear after I swapped valve bodies. I R&R'ed the valve body about 3 times, pulled shift solenoids out and cleaned them, overfilled the tranny thinking I didn't have enough fluid in there (put almost 4 qts too much in there....forgot my driveway slopes backwards ) and had it vent out the top and cover the ENTIRE underside of the truck from transmission back. Spoke to my tranny builder several times, he called Transgo, nobody could figure out what was wrong.

I was looking through my tune last week and happened to notice that somewhere along the way I had changed my shift points to command 4th gear before 3rd gear. Changed it back, and it's been working fine ever since. DOH!!!!!
Old 11-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Launching!

I was sitting in a parking lott with my blazer ideling and then it just turnd off. well i was like wtf! so i try to start it, to no avail it didnt start. So i look at the gas gauge and it says 1/4 tank. well i replaced the fuel pump. and then my shop teacher gave me a few gallons of gas and it fired right up.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

has anyone taken their car keys and hit the unlock botton and then wonderd why in the hell the house door is still locked it helps if you use the house door key huh?

one day I decided to clean the ac condenser and radaitor (blow all the crap out of it) anyway I stuck a towel in the TB so no crap would get it there, well a friend show up and we got to talking and I put the car back together with the damn towel still in the TB. no wonder it wouldn't go faster than 25 mph, pulled over pulled the towel out and that night she ran her best pass at the track.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Launching!

I was getting awful mileage and a SES light. I had forgotten to plug in the MAF wire from my lid install. oops.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by qwikz28
it took me about 2 months to find the cup holder in my car
Old 11-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Has Unresolved Sales In Feedback/12 second club

Ive got one. On my old 98 trans am, pulled off the intake to swap intakes, put all the bolts up on the cowl, somehow knocked a nut down into one of the intake portes, put it all back together, start it up sucks nut into cylinder. pull the motor apart to find out that it has cracked a cylinder wall, broke a piston, bent a connecting rod and smashed a hole into head. ****! 3k later...
Old 11-06-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Freaking Could Not Figure Out Why My Window In My Eclipse Of The Passenger Side Would Not Go Up....after An Hour Of Checking Everyhing And Taking The Door Out...put Everything Back Together Checked The Driver Side, And Pressed That Button That Said ""window Lock" And It Worked......
Today I Also Jacked It Up And Put The Jack On The Floor Board Now I Have This Lump In The Floor In My Eclipse..the Crap Moved And I Did Not Pay Attention
Old 11-15-2006, 03:46 AM
TECH Regular

I was doing the coolant bypass, and got it all back together and went to drive away and my car was idling at 2k. Checked the throttle cables/throttle body. I had forgotten to plug the IAT sensor back in It was nice never needing to touch the gas though, just let go of the clutch and off she went!
Old 11-15-2006, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by orangefun
has anyone taken their car keys and hit the unlock botton and then wonderd why in the hell the house door is still locked it helps if you use the house door key huh?
yes it does. lol i thought a few times i was locked out of my house.

on my camaro, i had this awful squeek in the interior, i couldnt figure out for the life of me what it was, so i asked my friend to ride with me and figure out what it was, well when he was with me it wouldnt squeek. so i figured it was making a liar out of me. but when i left his house it started squeeking again. so i go back and leave the car run thinking it may come back when i get going again, well he gets in and to no avail its not ******* squeeking. so i get to moving around the interior while im driving to find where the squeek is coming from and it turns out that my passengers seat bolt was loose and it was squeeking. so when he got in it kept it from squeeking.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Launching!

Not really a fix, but I did feel extremely stupid... I had just got my car (had probably a month), went outside to start...no start, I literally sat there for about ten minutes wondering what it could be/ trying to start it, when I finally remembered "hey dumbass, you have to put in the clutch"....needless to say, it turned out to be a horrible day...
Old 11-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Teching In

No fix just dumb. Removed the fuel filter while directly under it. At least I didnt top it off with any fire.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did a cam install with my buddy, Started the car up and it would do a random backfire. Thought the tune was out of whack. waited a month for a friend to tune his car. Still nothing. Waited another month to start taking **** apart to try and fix it and noticed 2 plug wires had been crossed =\
Old 11-16-2006, 02:08 AM
MJK
TECH Resident

Brother inlaw was messing and messing and messing with the hood on his mustang.He couldn't get it to latch.He would push it down slow,fast,hard,gentle...ect..The he went so far as to unbolt the latch and hook and was trying all kinds of positions with it for well over an hour....

I came outside after hearing SLAM,SLAM....SLAM,SLAM!!

I sat down in his car and noticed his hood release lever was stuck in the open position.I casually pushed it back in and said,there ya go "Blue Oval Boy" problem fixed.

I don't usually pick on Mustang drivers but he is a REAL a$$h*le about the whole Chevy Vs Ford thing...ahhhhhhh yes....it was good and gets brought up time after time,anytime he opens his hood for anything...
Old 11-16-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just thought of another dumb move on my part, happened in 2000. I had driven my Black 1997 WS6 Ram Air Trans AM to work this one day. One of the guys wanted a ride in it at lunch break.

So as we're both walking towards the parked car, I hit the unlock button on my FOB, open the drivers door, sit down in the seat, put the ign key into the ignition, but it wouldnt turn - the car acted like it was the wrong key or something. I sat there thinking WFT, then I looked around the inside of the car - and realized it wasnt my car!

It was a Black base model firebird, cloth interior, clutter and junk everywhere. It was parked 3 places away from my TA, but closer. One would have thought the beads hanging from her rear view mirror would have been a red flag to me that it wasnt my car. :-)

The owner didnt bother to lock the doors, so I was tricked thinking I had the right keys and all when I 'unlocked' it.

Talke about feeling like a dumb ***.

We then got into MY car, it started right up, no problems.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

A girl I work with one day came into my office upset her car wouldnt start she said she had called a tow truck. I went outside and looked under her hood and saw her MAF was unplugged so i replugged it in. I then went to turn it over and noticed the key didnt move very far in the ignition. Her wheel was locked causing the key to not turn all the way. I turned the wheel and it started . So not only did i "fix" her car i improved her gas mileage too To this day she thinks i did some kind of magicical mechanics work on her car

Quick Reply: Dumbest, simplest fix you've done to your car?