General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

GM designer for LT1=fucking moron

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
That is not absolutely true.

You have to consider that in modern society that the current belief is that if it is broken throw it away and get a new one. Also no products are repairable. Half the time you take it to a store and just get a new one on warranty. Why? It takes more effort to fix it then to build a new one.

Why design every part of a vehicle to be serviceble when people get tired of it and move on to a new one anyways?

Also note that you can't have every part easily accessable. The car would be huge and too costly. Most people never look under the hood anyways. Why not concentrate efforts on what makes customers want to buy the car: style and sounds. You have to make room for the couple of things that will commonly break and that is all you can do.

Besides the engine was not designed around the car. The car was designed around the engine. It is called making things economic.

Also, there is persuasion from management to make cars only last so long. People get sick of the car anyways so why not encourage them to upgrade to the lastest.

I am sure you are all going to go off and rant about it but look inside. You know eventually you are going to get rid of your car. Hell, half the owners in the North don't even have a choice with how fast stuff rusts anyways.

I hate it when people just make judgements from one part of the spectrum but don't weight out all possible reasons it might be like that.

You know earlier generation Corvettes had pop-up headlights to meat a DOT height regulation? The engineers had no choice and they looked cool anyways.
Speaking of economics, Z28 Six Speed, a car is something called a "durable good," meaning it's designed to last at least 3 years. Only ways to do that are to either make it pretty much indestructable or to have it servicable. As we all know, an engine is far from indestructable and is very much a high-maintenance item. Servicability is something that should be taken as a factor when designing the car/engine. To design an engine that cannot be maintained or repaired is stupid. It is definitely not cheaper to "throw away an engine" than to fix it (in most cases anyway). And on top of that, most people do not simply "get tired and move on." Even if they do, most of us cannot simply afford to move on to another car when we get bored with the current vehicle. Think before you post smart comments b/c you're actually making yourself sound pretty stupid.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, the new car market says different. People get tired of cars and buy new ones. I know plenty of people that do that. Some even annually. Just because you don't do it don't throw that factor out.

Most of the people in the new car market can afford it. Why are you considering the used car market (mainly people here) to be an example of the new car market?

Spark plugs are not really a serviceable item to OEM standards. By the time they go out the car is out of warranty. Please consider that. All OEMs care about is warranty time.

Think about your comments before you post them. You shouldn't use name-calling to bring substance to your posts.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
oh gee where should me and my dad start?

you cant see ****
cant get to ****
no easy access to a damn thing

It took us 6 HOURS to change 2 plus. 2 for 6 hours!!!!!

i got the first 3 on the drivers side done the other day. we got the back one and the front one on the passenger side done today. we took the alternarter off and bent the A.I.R tube for better acess and was still a ******* *****. Hell he even broke it trying tog et that bitch back in so now we gotta go buy another plug! those last 3 plugs, 4 6 and 8 i got no idea how im gonna ******* get them. whoever said get them from the bottom is a ******* crackhead or has some LT headers because we cant even see the wires much less get a hand through that tangled mess of **** they called a y pipe
If it took you that long to change the plugs something is wrong. My redneck shadetree mechanic stepdad and I did it in an hour or two and he doesnt even know what an lt-1 is. If you cant see them and their wires from under the car something is wrong. Sorry to dig up an old thread but come on be a bit more intellegent with your criticism. I will be the first to say the ls-1 is a much better engine IMO but you obviously need to think a bit more before ranting out of frustration.

Quick Reply: GM designer for LT1=fucking moron