General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear Defrost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear Defrost?

ok, yes, Texas weather is weird. Had freezing sleet/snow/rain the other day, so I had to use the rear defrost, ummm....didn't work. What should I look at first?
Old 12-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Fuse? is the defrost light coming on, on the swithch button?
Old 12-02-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

light comes on, couldn't be the fuse right?
Old 12-02-2006, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Not sure? don't have a schematic in front of me. I dont think its actually a colored type fuse, its one of the silver "breakers" they call them, if I remember correctly. They're not known for going out, but you never know. Also check the wires that actually plug into the window. Sometimes the plastic plugs get bumped or broken, lift up the hatch and you will see them. Hope this helps. PS- while you got the hatch open, throw a bottle of nitrous in there!
Old 12-02-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002_B4C
Not sure? don't have a schematic in front of me. I dont think its actually a colored type fuse, its one of the silver "breakers" they call them, if I remember correctly. They're not known for going out, but you never know. Also check the wires that actually plug into the window. Sometimes the plastic plugs get bumped or broken, lift up the hatch and you will see them. Hope this helps. PS- while you got the hatch open, throw a bottle of nitrous in there!
yea, stupid defrost, I'll probablly look at it later. Thanks for the suggestions!!

not really looking at NOS. I was thinkin' maybe turbo @ 10psi... building saving account and doing te entire car at the same time.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Turn on the rear defrost and try to adjust your drivers seat(if it's electric). If it doesn't work, replace the silver breaker with a 30 amp fuse and that wll fix it.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks 98LS-WON...I'll try that out in the morning, I knew that the drivers seat/rear defrost was on the same breaker
Old 12-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just a thought, but since the light comes on, perhaps your rear defrost is weak. my rear defrost IS TERRIBLE! the rear defrost on my old V6 '95 firebird was AWESOME. it would melt ice in 2 minutes. the rear defrost on my '01 formula is HORRIBLE. it barely works. after running for the full 5 minutes or whatever, it takes half an inch lines out of FOG. it's soooo weak perhaps you are having the same problem. it's on, it's working, it's just pathetic. anyone know how to go about fixing this
Old 12-02-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
just a thought, but since the light comes on, perhaps your rear defrost is weak. my rear defrost IS TERRIBLE! the rear defrost on my old V6 '95 firebird was AWESOME. it would melt ice in 2 minutes. the rear defrost on my '01 formula is HORRIBLE. it barely works. after running for the full 5 minutes or whatever, it takes half an inch lines out of FOG. it's soooo weak perhaps you are having the same problem. it's on, it's working, it's just pathetic. anyone know how to go about fixing this

Yup.. both the 95 4th gen cars I had in the past as Wicked rear defogger. you could probably cook on egg on that defogger but.. the LS1 car I have now is a joke! It struggles to get fog off the glass and frost.. forget about it.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Launching!

I live out in arlington,tx... anyway mine doesn't work either, but its because the little thing broke off of my window and now a cord is just dangling. I'm not sure how to get it back on.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:37 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

98lswon is correct. if it comes on for about a minute and goes off, the breaker is overheating. it takes 5-10 minutes for it to cool down and be functional again. during this time the power seat won't move either. replace the breaker as suggested above and the problem will be solved.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98LS-WON
Turn on the rear defrost and try to adjust your drivers seat(if it's electric). If it doesn't work, replace the silver breaker with a 30 amp fuse and that wll fix it.
Not to hijack this thread or anything...but thanks a ton! I've been wondering about how to fix this for the longest time now. But when you say breaker what do you mean? The original fuse for the defrost?
Old 12-06-2006, 01:57 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

the original is a silver breaker, not a fuse. If you pull the breaker out and insert a spade type fuse (like the rest of your fuses) with the correct amp rating (I think 30 amp is correct) your problem will be solved. I lived with it for a couple of years before I found this fix and have not had a problem since.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Scrape off the ice...

When I got the car tinted if I remember correctly, the guy told me not to turn on the rear defrost so I have done without for a while. Scraper and a window open will do wonders...
Old 12-06-2006, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by pjb
the original is a silver breaker, not a fuse. If you pull the breaker out and insert a spade type fuse (like the rest of your fuses) with the correct amp rating (I think 30 amp is correct) your problem will be solved. I lived with it for a couple of years before I found this fix and have not had a problem since.
Thanks! I'm tired of living with it too. Gonna go change that bitch now.

Edit: Just an update. Just did this and defrost works like a charm now.
Thanks again.

Last edited by noname024; 12-06-2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Abidar
Scrape off the ice...

When I got the car tinted if I remember correctly, the guy told me not to turn on the rear defrost so I have done without for a while. Scraper and a window open will do wonders...
Sounds like BS to me. Defroster shouldn't hurt your tint. I have tint on my car and I use the defroster regularly with no problems.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Teching In

See, when you ask enough people, some unlucky bastard has had the same problem. Good job guys!!!!
Old 12-09-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

So if I replace the breaker with a 30amp fuse will the defrost turn off after a while like it normally would with a breaker? Or will the defrost stay on until the fuse blows?
Old 12-09-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by oifish
So if I replace the breaker with a 30amp fuse will the defrost turn off after a while like it normally would with a breaker? Or will the defrost stay on until the fuse blows?
I had this same problem. I replaced the resetable breaker with others and they would trip too. I put the 30 amp fuse in and have never had any other problems again. I checked the hot wire to the defrost grid and it was no where near the tripping amps. Try the fuse and have soemone with a amp probe double check the draw for you.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:40 AM
TECH Regular

alright ill go with the fuse, it seems that its perfectly fine. If anything does goes bad the fuse will just blow, no harm there.

Quick Reply: Rear Defrost?