General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds
Old 05-20-2016, 01:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Parking Lights (DRL) lights don't work...WTF??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006 | 04:10 PM
Teching In

Default Parking Lights (DRL) lights don't work...WTF??

Hello all! This is driving me nuts... anyone's input is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

My ride: 2000 Trans Am WS6 (six speed)

I am having a problem with my orange parking lights. Every time I start my car and push my parking brake down, my DRL's should come on. But they are not coming on at all. However, if I turn the light switch inside to put all my lights on, the lights work (the normal dimmer version of the parking light).

Is there some sort of relay around the parking brake that is not triggering the daytime running lamps or might it be an old socket that I need to replace??

This is making me insane!! Love my car but electrical problems on F-body's are the worst!!
Old 12-07-2006 | 10:30 PM
Teching In

Anyone?
Old 12-07-2006 | 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

there is a way to disable them. are you the original owner of the car? if not, perhaps the previous owner disabled them?

http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html
Old 12-08-2006 | 11:40 AM
Teching In

Thanks for your help Paul!!

Yes, I am the original owner of the car, however I have the sneaking suspicion that the DRL relay that you showed me (behind the radio) might be bad. I am going to try and replace those components and see what happens.

Again, many thanks!!
Old 12-08-2006 | 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

anytime, and good luck
Old 06-12-2009 | 08:59 PM
Teching In

im having some lighting problems too, i need to replace the socket first to see if that fixes it but if not theres a problem with the module, any idea where to get one decently priced, i tried napa, autozone and orieleys and they dont carry em and a dealership quoted me at 385.
Old 06-28-2009 | 02:36 AM
Staging Lane

Hope you got the problem fixed. I'm working through the same issue with my new car lol I noticed my connectors were in pretty terrible shape. I went ahead and removed the DRL module too since I may need to replace it.

With the symptoms I'm having, I'm not sure if it's the connectors or the DRL module going bad. Guess I will be able to add some input to the specific symptoms the OP had and what fixed the problem. Oh well at least I have something to do for a couple weeks while I wait to get my car licensed. Might just replace the entire housing while I'm at it since one is slightly faded. Here's a link I bookmarked for reference in one of the other threads I read on here.

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...ht=turn+signal

gmparts direct also has a new DRL module for around $213 i think. Still not too cheap but 100 bucks is 100 bucks heh. If you can find a junkyard that doesn't look up parts to see what they should charge for them... there might be a few of those modules sitting around in a Trans Am, Firebird, Camaro, Vette.. maybe a few others too. FYI to anyone wanting the DRL module part number it's 10407669 (out of a 2000 WS6) I don't believe the other 4 numbers matter but I'm not 100% on that. Online parts lookup didn't seem to break it down. Mine has 0025 on it after the 10407669. Might be a way to identify what car type it went into?

Will post again with more info when I have the correct fix for the symptoms. Mine flash in the car after replacing the flasher. DRL issues are only the drivers side works for the DRL feature, turn signal, or hazards. Sometimes it stops working out of nowhere and starts working again at random. Passenger side never has worked. Both connectors honestly look like total ****. Driver side is slightly better so that's possibly why it still works from time to time. Also, anyone else having the same issue, whether it's connectors or a DRL going bad, it seems to kill the flasher over time as well.
Old 06-28-2009 | 05:09 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by 157mpHourly
However, if I turn the light switch inside to put all my lights on, the lights work (the normal dimmer version of the parking light).
This doesn't tell you anything about your DRLs. There are two separate filaments in the bulbs; one hooked up to your headlight switch and one hooked up to your DRL module, which also controls the turn signal function.

Do your turn signals work? Does your parking brake light stay on even after you put the handle down?

Quick Reply: Parking Lights (DRL) lights don't work...WTF??