General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power Steering Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 04:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Steering Pump?

I need some help identifying why my power steering is not working anymore. It suddenly went out when I was doing a donut (yeah yeah blah whatever)

The fluid was not low but it is pretty dark, I at least need to flush the system. The car is not leaking any PS fluid whatsoever. So I'm pretty sure it is the pump but I wanted to see if it could be anything else, before I replace a pump that could have been working fine. I mean I'm pretty sure it's the pump but I guess I just want some reassurance.

I went out and bought a pump from AutoZone but I did a little searching here and I'm still not sure how to get the pulley off. I asked for a pulley puller while I was there but the dumbass kid gave me some weird looking screw device, with no instructions. I didn't have a clue how I was supposed to remove the pulley with that. And of course neither did he or anyone else working there. LOL

Anyways people on this board say it is "press fit". I guess that means the pulley is not screwed in but rather fit extremely tight on the pump rotating assembly? Pardon the newb questions I really don't know much about the PS system.

I've been driving to and from work with no power steering, I doubt this could hurt anything on the car but you never know.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:54 PM
12 Second Club

I rented a pulley puller from advance auto, I'm gonna do the repair tommorow though. Hope it's the pump.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

i use a puller and installer from snap-on.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:43 AM
Staging Lane

what did you pay for the pump and how much of a pain was it, mines bad. it leaks like hell. my car is at the stage where its a bit of money to get it driving normal again, or to trade it in on another one. money is so tight so i can barely afford either. so i tried some stop leaks and it slowed it down, but not stopped it. i just add fluid. but like i said it has a list of problems. hope you get it fixed. car pains are not fun.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:57 PM
12 Second Club

Finished up today, it was kind of a pain but I got it done.

In order to use the pulley puller I had to remove my radiator, which meant discharging my AC. I discharged it then drained the coolant from the radiator, and pulled the upper and lower radiator hoses. Then got the radiator out of the way. Once that was done the hardest part was getting the pulley off, this was my first time removing a press on style pulley, but the tool I rented from advance auto for free really pulled through.

Once you get the pulley off it is straight foward and easy. You pull two hoses, cap them to prevent contamination, then remove 3 bolts and the pump and the reservoir come off together. 2 clips hold the reservoir to the old pump. Once the reservoir was off I noticed I could pull out the shaft on the pump that the pulley sits on, so The shaft was spinning but was sheared off from the rest of the pump, which explained the lack of power steering pressure.

Re-installation went much faster, I took the car for a test drive and it turns easier than ever. I will check for leaks tommorow.

Total cost:
$60 for the pump from Auto Zone, Limited Lifetime Warranty
$15 core that I got back
$30 to loan the pulley puller that I got back
$8 for antifreeze

=$68, I need to recharge my AC system though so that will cost a couple dollars as well. All in all not too bad, I wonder what a shop would've charged for the repair.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Couldn't you have used the puller once the pump was off the car?

Or am I missing something.

I'll probably have to do mine soon as well, considering it makes a crazy loud noise on cold startup days.....maybe it's just the pulley?
Old 01-02-2007, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Da Swami
Couldn't you have used the puller once the pump was off the car?

Or am I missing something.

I'll probably have to do mine soon as well, considering it makes a crazy loud noise on cold startup days.....maybe it's just the pulley?
The bolts were behind the pulley
Old 01-03-2007, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks I guess I had a better puller. I didnt have to remove the radiator just moved the hose outta the way and took the pulley off
Old 01-03-2007, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NBM99SS
That sucks I guess I had a better puller. I didnt have to remove the radiator just moved the hose outta the way and took the pulley off
:o

I'm so glad I read this post.

I forgot to put the O-ring on the reservoir so it was leaking everywhere

I went to Auto Zone, got the puller you described, had the pump off in 30 minutes

Old 01-03-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True. Even though....couldn't you use an pnematic angle tool to drill holes in the pulley that way you could get to the bolts? I have seen many other cars which have holes in their pulleys.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

I've seen them for LS1's, I think Fbody Central makes them actually. The pulley is so light already though I don't even think it is worth it.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

You dont have to remove the pulley to unbolt the whole setup from the cylinder head. Looks impossible but it can be done. The bolt behind the pump can only be turned like a 1/4 turn at a time lol.