General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Never Using Mobile1 Again

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 12:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Never Using Mobile1 Again

Well about 3k miles ago I changed out my German Castrol and put some 0w-40 mobile in my car and ever since then I have piston slap on cold morning startups and much more valvetrain noise. I NEVER had any piston slap with the GC. I am very dissapointed with this stuff, I will definately never use it again or any mobile oil in my ls1 again. I know a lot of you guys on here use it and say how well it works for you but it doesn't for me. I dont know if its just my car or what but I never had any noise before and I ran mt GC almost 8k and it still came out amber colored. I think Ill try and find some more GC and get this stuff out of my engine. Sorry, Im done venting now.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you do realize that when you use a thicker oil its not good to go back to a thinner oil?....
Old 02-20-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Resident

and why not???
Old 02-20-2007, 02:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

a thicker oil will wear and break in your seals more....its simple....blow something thick throw a soft hose....will the hose not expand? now run something thin through the hose...will it not go through fast?

why do you think hes got more knocking? but when he had a thicker oil it wasnt...why do you think a thicker oil gives you higher pressure? because the pumps using more FORCE to move the oil.....

its always been a good policy to stick with one type of oil and not move back and forth....ESP. not running synthetic and then going back to normal non synthetic....
Old 02-20-2007, 05:44 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,235 Posts

Originally Posted by staringback05
a thicker oil will wear and break in your seals more....its simple....blow something thick throw a soft hose....will the hose not expand? now run something thin through the hose...will it not go through fast?

why do you think hes got more knocking? but when he had a thicker oil it wasnt...why do you think a thicker oil gives you higher pressure? because the pumps using more FORCE to move the oil.....

its always been a good policy to stick with one type of oil and not move back and forth....ESP. not running synthetic and then going back to normal non synthetic....
I disagree. I've switched around all different kinds of oil weights in all my motors (LS1 or L36) testing different things and preparing for different seasons. Never caused any kind of issue.

Originally Posted by staringback05
why do you think hes got more knocking? but when he had a thicker oil it wasnt...
PS. M1 0W40 is a thicker oil than GC 0W30, at least when new. Some have stated that after many thousands of miles, the M1 will shear more and be thinner than the GC, but straight out of the bottle the M1 0W40 is thicker. I've been very happy with it in my LS1. I have no slapping issues at all with it.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:40 AM
On the tree

I for one dont see a need to run 0w40 at all. It is too thin during the summer and too thick when it is at its coldest.

I have always ran Mobile 1 5w30 since I bought my car new with no issues. There just is really no real reason to run that thin of oil (0w40) unless it is the dead of winter and you live in the far northern regions and need a thinner oil during the cold months.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:06 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
I for one dont see a need to run 0w40 at all. It is too thin during the summer and too thick when it is at its coldest.

I have always ran Mobile 1 5w30 since I bought my car new with no issues. There just is really no real reason to run that thin of oil (0w40) unless it is the dead of winter and you live in the far northern regions and need a thinner oil during the cold months.
FYI.

M1 0W40 is thicker than either M1 5W30 or M1 10W30. You can compare all the specs on M1s oil page, here: http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...Oils/Oils.aspx

Many oil analysis tests on LS1 motors have shown that these engines tend to like oils that are on the heavy side of a 30 weight or the light side of a 40 weight. M1 30 weight oils are a very thin 30 weight, and not optimum for the LS1. Having said that, I too used to use M1 5 and 10 W30 for a long time without any problems, but there are better choices out there.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Use Royal Purple
Old 02-20-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was using M1 when i got my LT1 and then started using GC and to be honest with you guys...I did not find any difference at all. I still have a ticking noise coming from my engine but i will remain staying with GC for now atleast.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DrivenWS6
Well about 3k miles ago I changed out my German Castrol and put some 0w-40 mobile in my car and ever since then I have piston slap on cold morning startups and much more valvetrain noise. I NEVER had any piston slap with the GC. I am very dissapointed with this stuff, I will definately never use it again or any mobile oil in my ls1 again. I know a lot of you guys on here use it and say how well it works for you but it doesn't for me. I dont know if its just my car or what but I never had any noise before and I ran mt GC almost 8k and it still came out amber colored. I think Ill try and find some more GC and get this stuff out of my engine. Sorry, Im done venting now.

have you done any oil analysis? or testing? if not then you have no idea whatz goin on with your engine. oil is just oil itz doesnt harm your engine as long as you change em. just cuz it made more noise doesnt mean itz not doin itz job or hurting the motor. all ls1 has piston slap/valvetrain noise. some ls1 is quieter than others but thatz it. you have a muscle car not a luxus or MB. it will be never quite. so just stick with one oil that you like and forget about it.

pm patman for more info about it and he will tell you all about GC vs. mobile 1.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

lol TX SS, you're the one who said oil is oil is oil, you're a joke.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01pewterbird
lol TX SS, you're the one who said oil is oil is oil, you're a joke.

i did say that. i did some research past few months and read patmans post and learned. i went throught different combo (oil/filter) and finally come to a conclusion.

ls1 burns oil
no matter what oil you use it will make noise
as long as you change them frequently itz okay
dino oil is perfectly fine for ls1
synthetic is for those who runs it for more than 5000 miles and doesnt wanna change em regulary.

i use 6qts of dino 10w-40 with longer version of acdelco filter pf61.

if you got problem with my post pm me.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:20 AM
Launching!

I agree my car is not going to be prefectly quiet. It just bothers me because I have never had piston slap on cold start ups untill using mobile 1. And actually after its warmed up my oil pressure is a bit lower with mobile one then GC or previous valvoline oils I have run. I guess i will try and find some GC i guess. I would like to run RP but thats pretty expensive.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Regular

I don't have to pm you about anything. Just find your views funny.
And no not all LS1's burn oil
and no not all LS1's make noise
Most do but not all, the oil consumption issue is largely in part because of a bad pcv design
And no synthetics are not just for people who want to run a longer OCI, while that is a reason, your still going to get better wear numbers with synthetic rather than dino.
You post things as fact without really knowing.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:17 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by 01pewterbird
And no not all LS1's burn oil

Very true.

My '98 burns no oil, regardless of whether I'm running M1 5W30, 10W30 or 0W40. And my PCV system is a 100% stock '98 setup.

It does have some minor valvetrain noise that was more noticeable with the 5 or 10W30 but has all but vanished since I switched to M1 0W40.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:18 PM
Launching!

I <3 my Mobil 1 10w30. Yes, piston slap is there when it's cold, but thats because we have forged pistons from the factory. Just let'er warm up!

LS1 FTW
Old 02-20-2007, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

Mobil 1 is good oil.. I promose you it did not mess your car up. Its because you changed oil IMO.. Go back to what you had before and i bet it will all be back to norm..
Old 02-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Launching!

I am not saying it messed my car up, I just cant believe there is that much difference between GC and 0w-40. It much just be my car. But if i dont have piston slap with one oil but do with the other, Im going to use the one that doesnt. Thats just my preference.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

i use Mobile 1 synthedic 5w-30 and have never had a problem
Old 02-20-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

theres no way, M1 is a better oil then GC....its way to inconsistant....

thats fine if you switch back n forth....i guess theres "always" an exception...you also run your car on the lower side of oil pressure....your ls1 must be a freak

we used to pull motors apart when i worked in college, people who would use sythn. and then switch back, then theyd go back again.....the seals, gaskets, and bearings looked like ****....

my opinion that gc is thicker doesnt go off of what the label says between it and M1...M1 claims alot of crap, but gc is a consistantly thicker oil...

i dont see a problem going from a thinner oil to a thicker oil....but going from thicker to thinner...doesnt help your motor....

i guess EVERYONE has there own thing...and by no means do i believe every LS1 is the same.....HOWEVER i speak from experience...thats why i commented

Quick Reply: Never Using Mobile1 Again